UKC

Eastern Edges tomorrow, weather Gurus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 29 Aug 2014
Looking at Met Office, it looks like the edges will be dry from mid morning, but breezy, am I reading this correctly. Or will they catch the weather a bit further west?
 CurlyStevo 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:
It's definately looking a bit touch and go in the Peak, further west and higher up in general looking more showery. Birchen could be a good call as its lower down compared with some of the edges, quick drying, exposed to westerly wind and pretty East on the park. That said you may find that there are not that more many showers up at somewhere like Stanage (and possibly none in the middle portion of the day) and that they dry off quickly anyway in the wind.

These should give you a general flavour of what to expect

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcqyg6gsh#?fcTime=14093...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcqzd69kf#?fcTime=14093...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcqw6fuj6#?fcTime=14093...

MWIS has just come out and it's looking pretty pessimistic TBH. Maybe met mountain will be better?

http://www.mwis.org.uk/pdf/weather-forecasts/PD-MWI-WM10205_2014-08-29_1526...
Post edited at 16:39
 pebbles 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

birchens a polished horror full of outdoor groups doing courses though. burbage always feels like a bit of a suntrap, maybe lawrencefield (if you havnt already done everything there) or rivelin if its really blowy? chatsworth looks like a pretty good bet on that forecast though its a bit further south - bit of a trek for you.
J1234 29 Aug 2014
In reply to pebbles:

Yes, it`s a bit hit and miss, particularly as I will probably down again on Sunday. Hill walk followed by ______ I think
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Aug 2014
In reply to pebbles:

> birchens a polished horror full of outdoor groups doing courses though. burbage always feels like a bit of a suntrap, maybe lawrencefield (if you havnt already done everything there) or rivelin if its really blowy? chatsworth looks like a pretty good bet on that forecast though its a bit further south - bit of a trek for you.

Chatsworth will be grim after the rain we have had,

Chris
 deacondeacon 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:
Chatsworth is possibly the worst advice you could take
I'd head to wharncliffe on tomorrow's forecast personally, and it's also the quickest drying crag on eastern grit.

pebbles 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

hmm will take the consensus advice there then! have only been there once, thought the forecast looked better there. is the problem that its slow drying? might try burbage north then....
 Jon Stewart 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

I'd go somewhere quick drying, the rest is down to luck. Perhaps use Raintoday.com in the 1h up to your arrival to attempt a shower-dodge.
 Jon Stewart 29 Aug 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

> I'd head to wharncliffe on tomorrow's forecast personally, and it's also the quickest drying crag on eastern grit.

I think your relationship with Wharncliffe is a bit like my brief love affair with Shipley Glen.
 deacondeacon 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Possibly, but it really is super fast drying, and it's amazing how often the rain just doesn't get that far.

I've actually only climbed there about twenty times though, so still not in the same league as the glen
 alasdair19 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Birch end is shit. And gets same weather as froggat so go there. If your feeling hard and need more breeze curbar. If your driving distance ask non driver to get live updates as you go!
 Puppythedog 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Any thoughts on Curbur for a boulder?
 CurlyStevo 29 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:
Birchen is a little further east and south than froggat it also has less high ground immediately around it all these factors make it slightly more favourable for less rain tomorrow. Birchen also has less trees at its base so it a little faster drying. There is quite a few good climbs there IMO although Froggat is a better crag agreed.
Post edited at 22:46
 CurlyStevo 29 Aug 2014
In reply to pebbles:

Lawrencefield will be slower drying IMO.
 TobyA 29 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Oddly the BBC seems to think it will be showery in Hathersage in the afternoon and sunny in Sheffield. I can't imagine that any of the eastern edges will be that different from each other. I'm going to Cheedale in the morning, my mate seems to think it will be unaffected by the peeing down rain we have currently! He may be being optimistic, but he obviously has send-fever.
 Blue Straggler 29 Aug 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> I can't imagine that any of the eastern edges will be that different from each other.

I've been at Burbage North when it was blowing a hoolie and raining enough to deter you, and persuaded my entire party to just try Froggatt before decamping to Sheffield climbing walls, and we had a great day at Froggatt untroubled by any weather issues. Maybe it had improved at Burbage North by the time we hit Froggat, I dunno
 CurlyStevo 29 Aug 2014
In reply to TobyA:
> Oddly the BBC seems to think it will be showery in Hathersage in the afternoon and sunny in Sheffield. I can't imagine that any of the eastern edges will be that different from each other. I'm going to Cheedale in the morning, my mate seems to think it will be unaffected by the peeing down rain we have currently! He may be being optimistic, but he obviously has send-fever.

Well the guide books mention it and I've seen it. Places like Rivelin, Birchen etc can often be bone dry and out of the mist when places like stanage are either shrowded in cloud and / or wet. Next time you get rained off stanage on a touch and go forecast why not drive over to Birchen / Rivelin / Frogatt and see what the weather is like there. Just the altitude gain alone will make a significant difference between stanage and crags 200 odd metres lower down and not around ground that high.
Post edited at 23:32
 Blue Straggler 29 Aug 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Indeed. There was a windy day earlier this year during which everyone from every non-Lawrencefield crag seemed to converge on......Lawrencefield! It may have never seen so much traffic Queues for Great Harry were like queues for Armorican on an Easter Sunday in perfect condition (which motivated my clean onsight I think )
 alasdair19 29 Aug 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I'd be amazed if there's no seepage, oh and welcome to Sheffield!
 TobyA 29 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

Cheers alasdair! I suspect my role in Cheedale is to stand for two hours clutching the grigri while my mate works his project. I will pack a duvet, plentiful sandwiches and a flask of coffee. Then in the afternoon I get to pick a venue; "even Gritstone" he said.
 Offwidth 30 Aug 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

I like Wharncliffe as well, the most reliable of the west facing edges. In strong west winds sometimes every man and his dog heads for Lawrencefield but there are far better bets. The top choice for me would be Turning Stone if conditions are expected to be better in the SE but often Cratcliffe, Shining Cliffwill be sheltered enough. Then there are the more obscure places like Matlock Bank, Plessley, Higgar East, Bradley Quarry or Ravensnest Tor. Some other good bets for west-facing edges not mentioned would include Eastwood (banned but I've climbed there dozens of times, keeping a low profile, with no hassle) and the more obscure classic ticks in Dukes Quarry, Robin Hood Quarries or Chasecliffe. Just imagine trying something different.
 TobyA 30 Aug 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

So what did you do and how wet did you get? We were in Cheedale in the morning where the rock was mainly perfectly dry despite rain while driving across and walking in. Mid-afternoon we went to Froggat which was fine until some heavy rain around 7pm ish, but by then we were ready to pack it in for the day.
 deacondeacon 30 Aug 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Chee Dale for us too, great conditions.
J1234 30 Aug 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Went for a walk up Boulsworth Hill with my dog, bloody grouse flying everywhere, only found out afterwards no dogs allowed, I truly saw no signs. Peak tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...