UKC

Cyrn Las, Crib Goch, and Crib Goch N ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sophie G. 11 Sep 2014
Serendipity...

Today a friend and I were aiming to park at Pen-y-Pas and go up Crib Goch then round to Lliwedd. But we couldn't because the car park was full. If it hadn't been for that we wouldn't have had to drive down to the Cromlech car park. And unless we'd done *that*, we'd never have thought of going up Cyrn Las, over Garnedd Ugain and Crib Goch, and then back down via the N ridge.

What an amazing round! Isn't it better than the classic Snowdon Horseshoe? It's surely harder, and certainly more interesting and spectacular. Above all it's QUIETER. Every time we looked over to Yr-Wyddfa there was a queue of figures toiling up the skylines and the summit was clearly packed. Whereas we probably met more wild goats than people on our route! It was like being in Scotland!

It was so good I'd quite happily do it again tomorrow...
In reply to Sophie G.:

It is an entirely different angle on what is already a magnificent outing.
Always much quieter too, aside from traversing the CG arête.
 Y Gribin 11 Sep 2014
In reply to Sophie G.:

For another 'quiet route up a familar mountain', I recommend the Crib Lem spur on Carnedd Dafydd. You won't see another soul until the summit

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16417

In reply to Sophie G.:

It is indeed a fantastic round but one I usually do in a clockwise direction which seems more logical to me. It's amazing how little attention the north ridge attracts!
 GrahamD 11 Sep 2014
In reply to Sophie G.:

Particularly good in winter. Even in good conditions you can have it to yourself.

As an aside, are there no sherpa bus options to pen y pass these days ?
In reply to Sophie G.:

I'm doing a bit of a link up tomorrow in the same area - Jammed Boulder gully, Clogwyn y person and down Cyrn las ridge. It's much nicer area than anywhere else on Snowdon.
 samharrison7 11 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

There are Sherpa bus options but they're ridiculously reduced since Padarn (the company that used to own them) went bust. Only four journeys a day from Betws-y-Coed to Llaneris, and only one of them goes to Llyn Ogwen...

More info here: http://www.swissitalianpaddlesteamers.com/snowdonsherpa/
 Crofty 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Sophie G.:

Yes it is a good option, only a few weeks ago, we went from the CC hut, scrambled the lh side of CL, then did Gambit Climb, over to CG and down its North Ridge, back to hut. Great day out.
 malky_c 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Sophie G.:

It's a great route - I think the last time I went up Snowdon it was this way (Snowdon itself was a short add-on). In the past I've done the variation which goes up the Clogwyn y Person arete instead of Cyrn Las - possibly even better (but more difficult).
In reply to malky_c:

Agreed - well, equally good. Main Wall of CL, then Crib Goch and down north ridge; or scrambling option via Parson's Nose and Clogwyn y Person arete (with option of continuing round Snowdon Horseshoe)
OP Sophie G. 23 Sep 2014
In reply to malky_c:

I've got a picture of Clogwyn y Person that makes it look pretty fab. Definitely one for the list.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...