UKC

Bouldering in the dark - ideas please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexjz 28 Sep 2014
Post work climbing sessions are getting shorter and shorter and instead of going to the climbing wall every evening I'm thinking it could be good to go bouldering with a portable outdoor spotlight and so not be under the pressure of finishing before dark. Anyone do this? What kit do you have/recommend for it?

Thanks.
 Ciro 28 Sep 2014
In reply to alexjz:

How portable? If you're not planning on venturing too far from a car park, down to the scrappies for a small car battery and a couple of headlights?
 Brumbler 28 Sep 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Search for portable led floodlight on Ebay you can pick them up for about £50 great for lantern sessions, they last for a good 3 or 4 hours and they put out a silly amount of light.
 deacondeacon 28 Sep 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Yep led floodlight from ebay. Or top of the range bike lights work really well too, and are nice and small but they're expensive.
 mark20 28 Sep 2014
LED not bulb. I'm currently using this one, it's excellent.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/Site+Lights/Nightsearcher+Workstar...
 MTL 30 Sep 2014
In reply to alexjz:

You can get an LED lantern from Screw Fix for £30 (AE0183 Rechargeable LED Work Light 10W) - plenty bright enough for night bouldering
 Tom Valentine 30 Sep 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Do it quick before it becomes categorised as "unjustifiable".
 kwoods 30 Sep 2014
In reply to alexjz:

I'm not so convinced by the lamps - never found one that really floods the area with light. Headtorches, however....
ohilikus 30 Sep 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Headlamps are always a good option! I do know plenty of people in the NE US that go bouldering with a lantern- go for it!
 JimboWizbo 30 Sep 2014
In reply to alexjz:
You should be able to get some good photos with that setup!
Post edited at 22:31
In reply to alexjz:

Give it a go without any torches. I am amazed just how little light one needs to climb at night. Moonlight, or distant artificial light is surprisingly OK.
 Reach>Talent 15 Oct 2014
In reply to alexjz:

I think it depends on the problem to be honest:
I've used a couple of citronella tealights in mess tins for an evening trip to Ramshaw (even I can't get lost on a crack climb) but a few good LED lights make life a lot easier if you are trying to spot small holds. I have also used a homemade bike light (20W MR16 bulb shoved into a PCV pipe fitting) which was great but got a little warm.
 Jimbo C 15 Oct 2014
In reply to alexjz:

I had a play the other night with just a low powered head torch. Helps if you've got a spotter with a head torch to illuminate the odd foothold for you but I don't think you'd need anything powerful to have a worthwhile session.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...