UKC

pain in my butt driving

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Troon 27 Nov 2014
Hi all
Have been running for some years and keeping fit along with climbing.
have been experiencing pain at the very top of my leg and the very bottom of my butt. Driving has become very painful,I have physical job to. One of my running buddies suggested it was my hamstrings and that they were probably too tight. So I've been stretching but have not gotten any relief. Any idea what this might be? I'm still able to run
but I have to cut back on my mileahe
Paul
In reply to Paul Troon:

do you have a wallet/phone in you rear pocket? If so take it out when sitting
 Andy Hardy 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Troon:

Have you had a back problem? If so I would go to your GP pronto.
 Oujmik 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Troon:

It could be related to your hip, but these things seem tricky to diagnose. A member of my family had a similar problem which has actually become quiet debilitating - albeit only during flare ups. I suggest you see your GP and try to see a good physio (or better still a consultant in a relevant area). Unfortunately NHS physio resources are very stretched so GPs can be reluctant to use them - and consultants more so. If you can afford to go private or have any kind of insurance then it's worth considering going down that route too.
 John Kelly 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Troon:
hip?
Post edited at 10:25
 yorkshireman 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Troon:
I get pain like this from time to time (being running a few years, do about 2000km/year).

A good friend of mine is a newly qualified physio and sent me the following details when I emailed him a couple of months back - I'd self-diagnosed Sacro-Illiac joint problems. You should get checked out yourself though.

https://thesportsphysio.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/whats-the-best-way-to-reli...
http://thesportsphysio.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/whats-the-best-way-to-treat...

Is the pain like sciatica (sharp?) or a dull ache? I'm tempted to suggest it's not your SIJ. The piriformis refers pain in a very similar pattern to the one you are describing - see about halfway down this page: http://namtpt.shuttlepod.org/page-684892

If you feel it's the SIJ, it's probably a case of RICE while it's in an acute stage then just lots of flexibility stuff for you lower back. There's a set of 3 exercises here: http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sacroiliac-joint-dysfunction/sacroil...

If it's your piriformis, then it's much the same really. RICE while it's acute then stretching the piriformis (and hamstrings).

To be honest, for both of these, I'd say it's a case of just doing lots of flexibility stuff for you lower back, glutes and hamstrings.
Post edited at 10:43
 steelbru 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Troon:

Sounds like piriformis - I had this a couple of years ago after upping the mileage over the preceding few months.

Found some good stretches on youtube, a google will show you them
 JohnnyW 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Troon:

You describe it just as I have been suffering for a few years. I was recommended some piriformis stretches, and within days it was much, much better.
I have tight hamstrings too, from cycling and a lot of hill walking, and when I ignored it, it manifested itself as you describe, and them a real nasty bout of what I thought was sciatica.

As I said, the 'pigeon' yoga stretch, or one where your partner assists you is almost immediate relief (google them, there's load). It never goes away totally, but at 50, I accept my body is less flexible now, and stretch far more than I used to.
 The New NickB 27 Nov 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Definitely likely. My hip was a bit sore after a longish run on Sunday. The couple of hours I spent driving afterwards were quite painful.
 Rob Grant 27 Nov 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Hi,

Get checked out for sciatica. Sounds exactly like symptoms I had - even 20min car journeys became very painful. I made a good recovery with physio but it flares up after running now.

good luck.
Ste Brom 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Troon:

I had that years ago. Lasted a year or two. Ignored it. Went away.
Personal experience, not advice BTW
OP Paul Troon 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Troon:
Hi thanks for all this good advice nothing in my pockets, one thing I am looking into is my car seat as I have only had the car for about 4 months. Compression shorts are helping to day
Thanks again
Paul
 jb2006 27 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Troon:

It sounds like sciatica - chiropracter fixed mine, stemming from sacro iliac area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...