UKC

The Devil's Slide - Lundy Video!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 16 Dec 2014
Good evening UKCrs

Now we are well into December and those dog day winter blues, summer is but a hazy, distant memory so here is a Xmas video offering to try and warm your cockles about a trip to the magical mystery island of Lundy in September. For anyone who has not been, Lundy is located about 12 miles off the coast of North Devon and this enchanted isle is frequented by divers, walkers, twitchers, climbers and those in search of a bit of peace and solitude. However it takes a bit of advance planning + commitment and most visitors get there via the MS Oldenburg ferry which I think most folks find adds to the overall experience. In fact there are lots of ingredients including the fauna and flora, towering granite cliffs, superb accommodation, the Letterbox Challenge and the legendary Marisco Tavern which all add up to make a memorable visit to one of the UK's last great climbing adventures. Anyway the entertainment was duly recorded so for anyone interested in viewing a short HD film featuring sika deer, barrel jellyfish, grey seals and a whole menagerie of wildlife concluding with an ascent of the island's classic climb “The Devil's Slide” then please use the following link:

youtube.com/watch?v=q2fW1pyJAeU&

So has anyone else out there got fond memories and gets a little misty-eyed when reminiscing about their previous visits to Lundy or even have an epic tale of derring-do to tell? One too many beverages in the Marisco the night before a committing route? A dose of the Lundy Lurgy or an attack of the dreaded Bracken Bug?!

Anyway if you wish to sample the full High Def experience and your computer has enough va va voom, you should be able to change the "Quality" icon to 1080p HD in the bottom right hand corner on the You Tube screen. All constructive feedback or comments welcome, please feel free to share and hopefully it will inspire a few folks to visit the magical Puffin Isle and climb the Devil's Slide!

Happy climbing and all unauthorised viewings welcome

Dave
Alowen 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Great vid, thanks for sharing.

Al
 Mike-W-99 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Enjoyed that, another quality production. Busy route?
 wilkie14c 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Look forward to watching this tomorrow, at work right now and youtube is blocked

Incidently, 'James Mays flight club' is back on the iplayer, I watched it last night. Its a model glider flown from the mainland to Lundy. Some good ariel shots of the island
 Chris_Mellor 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Dear Bald Eagle,
You're flying high with that vid. Good mix of shots, nice editing and pleasing sound track. More please.
Chris
 Chris Murray 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Thanks for sharing. Hoping to have a trip to Lundy next summer.
 IPPurewater 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Another superb video. Thanks for that. It brings back happy memories.

IPP
 ezzpbee 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Another great video, brought back memories of this summer on the island
 jon_gill1 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Hi Dave,good job mate. I'm inspired to get out there and to enjoy British trad at its best next year!😊
 BusyLizzie 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Really lovely! I went to Lundy many years ago, before I had any thought of climbing, and your video brought back good memories of a beautiful place.
 sjminfife 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
What a great video. It really brought back memories of our trip. Heading to Edinburgh airport didnt seem a problem BUT the Forth road bridge was blocked because a lorry had dropped its load. The Kincardine was blocked with traffic avoiding the Forth. So we missed the flight to London but managed to get a flight to Bristol and picked up Paul there. The boat trp was great and the Lighthouse was an amazing place to stay. Great furniture and decor ...what a place to look out to sea at night. We finely dined in the Marisco a couple of nights but cooked in most of the time. On a damp day we snorkeled with seals..the seals always having the upper hand. And we did some climbing...The Devils slide, Albion, Shamrock stick in my mind so does Diamond Solitaire.
The whole experience is amazing, the journey, the lodgings, the rock, the cimbs,the wild life, the Puffins. I must go back one day with my son ...I can't give it any higher praise.
sjm

Bobling 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

After a very frantic couple of weeks that was five minutes of soul balm, cheers Dave.
 Jimbo C 16 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Beautiful and well put together. Thanks for sharing
 floss_81 17 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Another great video.

That is now on my to do list. What a spot.
 TMM 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Bobling:

> After a very frantic couple of weeks that was five minutes of soul balm, cheers Dave.

Perfectly summed up.

It is a remarkable place and I shocked to realise is it now 20 years since my last visit. Something for 2015 I think.

Thanks for the videos Dave, they really sum up my own vision of climbing. Friends and adventure in some remarkable locations.
 rallymania 17 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

another quality product, thanks for that!

OP BALD EAGLE 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Alowen and prog99:

> Enjoyed that, another quality production.

Super busy at work so just a couple of quick responses and many thanks for taking the time to post some positive feedback as it is muchly appeciated!

> Busy route?

Our group were amongst the first off the ferry and definitely the first on the route except for a soloist! However quite a few parties arrived shortly afterwards so as a group of 4 (don't ask!) we had to move quite quickly with a fair bit of simu-climbing but everyone was cool and a great time was had by all in the sun on the warm, golden granite!
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

> Dear Bald Eagle,

> You're flying high with that vid. Good mix of shots, nice editing and pleasing sound track. More please.

> Chris

Hey eroica cheers for your kind words and great feedback! Plenty more videos in the pipeline so watch this space... Cheers Dave
 zigzag 17 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> Good evening UKCrs

> Now we are well into December and those dog day winter blues, summer is but a hazy, distant memory so here is a Xmas video offering to try and warm your cockles about a trip to the magical mystery island of Lundy in September. For anyone who has not been, Lundy is located about 12 miles off the coast of North Devon and this enchanted isle is frequented by divers, walkers, twitchers, climbers and those in search of a bit of peace and solitude. However it takes a bit of advance planning + commitment and most visitors get there via the MS Oldenburg ferry which I think most folks find adds to the overall experience. In fact there are lots of ingredients including the fauna and flora, towering granite cliffs, superb accommodation, the Letterbox Challenge and the legendary Marisco Tavern which all add up to make a memorable visit to one of the UK's last great climbing adventures. Anyway the entertainment was duly recorded so for anyone interested in viewing a short HD film featuring sika deer, barrel jellyfish, grey seals and a whole menagerie of wildlife concluding with an ascent of the island's classic climb “The Devil's Slide” then please use the following link:

> So has anyone else out there got fond memories and gets a little misty-eyed when reminiscing about their previous visits to Lundy or even have an epic tale of derring-do to tell? One too many beverages in the Marisco the night before a committing route? A dose of the Lundy Lurgy or an attack of the dreaded Bracken Bug?!

> Anyway if you wish to sample the full High Def experience and your computer has enough va va voom, you should be able to change the "Quality" icon to 1080p HD in the bottom right hand corner on the You Tube screen. All constructive feedback or comments welcome, please feel free to share and hopefully it will inspire a few folks to visit the magical Puffin Isle and climb the Devil's Slide!

> Happy climbing and all unauthorised viewings welcome

> Dave

Another superb presentation by Bald Eagle, been on my bucket list for years, it's inspired me to knock it off next year, thanks Dave, looked a bit congested on the climb though
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Really enjoyable video and especially welcome now that it's winter ! I bet the Lundy tourist board would love it too !
In reply to Le Chevalier, IPPurewater and ezzpbee:

> Another great video, brought back memories of this summer on the island

Cheers folks and thanks for taking the time to post your kind words and it seems like my wee video has evoked some happy memories for you all so happy days! Cheers Dave
 Pete Jones 18 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Great video -many thanks.
We were on Lundy at the same time ( 6th - 16th Sept)
OP BALD EAGLE 18 Dec 2014
In reply to sjminfife:

> What a great video. It really brought back memories of our trip. Heading to Edinburgh airport didnt seem a problem BUT the Forth road bridge was blocked because a lorry had dropped its load. The Kincardine was blocked with traffic avoiding the Forth. So we missed the flight to London but managed to get a flight to Bristol and picked up Paul there. The boat trp was great and the Lighthouse was an amazing place to stay. Great furniture and decor ...what a place to look out to sea at night. We finely dined in the Marisco a couple of nights but cooked in most of the time. On a damp day we snorkeled with seals..the seals always having the upper hand. And we did some climbing...The Devils slide, Albion, Shamrock stick in my mind so does Diamond Solitaire.

> The whole experience is amazing, the journey, the lodgings, the rock, the cimbs,the wild life, the Puffins. I must go back one day with my son ...I can't give it any higher praise.

> sjm

Hey sjm many thanks for your kind words and that sounds like quite an epic trip from Scotland to Lundy you had, but it certainly appears your efforts paid off as the Devil's slide, Albion, Shamrock and Diamond Solitaire are all super classics! Happy days indeed mate!
 sjminfife 18 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Adventures with your mates.....only family takes a higher priority

OP BALD EAGLE 19 Dec 2014
In reply to sjminfife:

> Adventures with your mates.....only family takes a higher priority

For sure!
In reply to Jimbo C:

> Beautiful and well put together. Thanks for sharing

Cheers Jimbo muchly appreciated!
In reply to floss_81:

> Another great video.

> That is now on my to do list. What a spot.

Thanks Floss and hope you get to visit Lundy and the Devil's Slide for the first time next year as once you've been you keep on getting drawn back! I think I'm up to about 15 annual visits now and all set to go again next year...
Removed User 19 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Well done, excellent film. You chose the music well - what you might call "heartbeat music", none of the crap that spoils other videos, smart to have that choice.
 kiwi boy 19 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Back to true form dave. Yet again you arranged the weather and performing aminals......... and the seals weren't bad too. Pleasure to watch great editing. cheers
OP BALD EAGLE 20 Dec 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> Well done, excellent film. You chose the music well - what you might call "heartbeat music", none of the crap that spoils other videos, smart to have that choice.

Hi climber666 many thanks for taking the time to post some positive feedback!
I chose the music for the "Devil's Slide segment" deliberately because in the log shots and zooms the climbers reminded me of old style music box figures moving and dancing around in time to a metronome so I thought it fitted quite well.
Also I think climbing should be quite relaxed, gymnastic and stress-free if possible so I'm not a big fan of climbing videos with loud banging music! I'd much rather have some more relaxing music with audio of birds, the sea, some conversation etc to try and compliment the video...
Cheers
Dave
 floss_81 21 Dec 2014
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I take it you have to stay or can you get climbing in on just a day crossing. A helicopter charter would be the answer!

Im back in April for a holiday and need to plan a trip with the boys. I had a look at Lundy and see they have camping deals. The only thing that puts me off is that if the weather comes in you are stuck with not a great deal to do. There is a pub mind you.

Im getting deja vu of a climbing trip i've had to the orkney's.

TMM 21 Dec 2014
In reply to floss_81:
Check the sailing times of the MS Oldenburg. It is possible to get a route (or two) in whilst the ship is at the dock but you need to be organised and moving sharpish.

However I would not recommend it. The Lundy 'experience' is not about hurrying. The island is wonderful place to explore and just run to the slide would not be doing it justice.
OP BALD EAGLE 22 Dec 2014
In reply to floss_81:

> I take it you have to stay or can you get climbing in on just a day crossing. A helicopter charter would be the answer!

> Im back in April for a holiday and need to plan a trip with the boys. I had a look at Lundy and see they have camping deals. The only thing that puts me off is that if the weather comes in you are stuck with not a great deal to do. There is a pub mind you.

> Im getting deja vu of a climbing trip i've had to the orkney's.

Hi Floss

As TMM says you can just about manage a route or 2 in a day but it would be an awful rush and not what Lundy is really about! My recommendation would be to book a 4 day trip in September on the MS Oldenberg, leaving early on the Saturday and returning late on the Tuesday, so you get the best part of 4 days climbing (hopefully!) whilst only using 2 days holiday allowance. I've been doing this annually for the last 15 years or so and again had continuous 4 days of sunshine a few months back and have only had 1 wet + windy in the all my visits!

I can only second TMM again and Lundy is a wonderful place to explore (the Letterbox Challenge is a great way of doing this), take a boat trip around the island and sample the fine ales, malts and food on offer in the Marisco!

Cheers

Dave
OP BALD EAGLE 23 Dec 2014
In reply to kiwi boy:

> Back to true form dave. Yet again you arranged the weather and performing aminals......... and the seals weren't bad too. Pleasure to watch great editing. cheers

Hi Kiwi Boy many thanks for the kind feedback and as for arranging the great weather and performing animals?
Well obviously I sold my soul to the devil whilst dancing on the Devil's Slide... Cheers Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...