UKC

Crampons and Walking axe in the Lake district

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi, I am in the Lakes walking for much of this week and own all the necessary clothing for hillwalking in the winter. However I was wondering if I should consider taking an ice axe andor crampons for mountains like Hellvellyn or Scarfell pike although I won't be walking routes like striding edge?
 Dave the Rave 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Hector Thornton-Swan:
Hector.
You may well consider taking some. I and a friend are in Keswick at the moment.
If you would wish to borrow some from us, then please let us know which day you wish to ascend Scawfell Pike.
Rave on
 Buncie 14 Feb 2015

Check out the weatherline website giving up to date info on the summit of Helvellyn, striding and swirral edges. We are off to Grassmere tomorrow but doing low level then a quick route of Tweedies Bar, a favourite old haunt for MR teams.
 Mark Eddy 14 Feb 2015

Photos from today here looking at Bowfell and Langdale Pikes. Will give an idea of general conditions: https://www.facebook.com/ScafellPikeAscents

Be worth having at least an axe with you and quite possibly crampons too.
In reply to Buncie:

Thanks so much for the link, I was wondering what it was like up high as we only got to the lakes today.
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Thanks for the offer, only my second trip to the lakes in winter however I am thinking of going more often so will be buying my own within the next couple of days.
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Looks pretty wintery up there, thanks for the advice.
 Buncie 17 Feb 2015

How are you getting on in the lakes? We had a great low level day from Grasmere, Dove cottage, round the coffin route to Rydal, lunching on the banks of Rydal water counting ducks, goosander, cormorants and geese. My best friend's son (8 yrs) was leading and navigating. He managed to lead us straight to the front door of Tweedies Bar, not that I had much trouble finding the place! Great to be back there again; Good food and good beer. Another place to visit after the hill is the Pack Horse Inn in Keswick. Another old haunt of my MR days. More great food and great beer. Anyway, hope conditions are good for you and you enjoy your stay. Off to Glencoe next weekend so hope conditions are good up there too.
In reply to Buncie:
Hi so far I've been having a great time, we got up Hellvelyn earlier in the week and will be looking to do another high level walk tomorrow. Thanks for the advice as I'm pretty new to the Lakes. Hope you have a great time in glencoe!
Post edited at 22:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...