UKC

Torridon Conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello!

Does anyone know what Torridon looks like after the recent thaw? Winter nick? Winter Gullys? Summer with snow? etc.

Thanks.
In reply to LibS:

Does anyone know of any webcams that show Beinn Eighe?

The forecast it quite confusing!
 planetmarshall 12 Mar 2015
In reply to LibS:

If anyone's climbing in the NW recently, they're being pretty quiet about it. Maybe you'll have to be the person who goes up and lets the rest of us know what the conditions are like...
 Misha 12 Mar 2015
In reply to LibS:

Slim pickings for the mixed? Hard to tell. Which side is that photo of Beinn Eighe taken from (I don't know it well enough to tell)? http://torridonblog.sais.gov.uk/2015/03/wet-but-promising-outlook

Might be some more photos tomorrow as they will be out doing the avalanche forecast.

Michael Gordon 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Misha:

Looks like the Glen Torridon (i.e. south) side
 Misha 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:
Thought so too and makes sense as it's the road side but thought the mountain to the left would be bigger. May be it's an outlier of Liatach. Anyway, snow in the gullies by who knows about the buttresses.

Scomuir 12 Mar 2015
In reply to Misha:

The Beinn Eighe picture is taken from near Kinlochewe looking approximately West into Coire Domhain
 French Erick 13 Mar 2015
In reply to LibS:

If you feel brave and don't mind a gamble, go check west central gully. That's what I would do if I still had some mojo, was not full of the cold and had a partner that was sharing the motivation for this high gamble.

I may well be onto plums though...and I am French , so de facto entirely unreliable.
 Robertgiddy 14 Mar 2015
Anybody got any info on the Liathach ice lines, Salmon Leap in particular? Is there still ice there or was it completely destroyed by the thaw?

In reply to Robertgiddy:

I was wondering the same thing... Fingers crossed!
 Steve Perry 14 Mar 2015
In reply to LibS:

We climbed near Loch Monar today and conditions were amazing, quite a bit south but not much. I'd go take a look.
 Robertgiddy 15 Mar 2015
Decided to give Torridon a go today, walked into Coire Dubh Mor aiming for Salmon Leap. Unfortunately it was a bit thin for us so we climbed North Ridge of Spidean which is in summer condition but a nice scramble with superb scenery. Poachers and Salmon Leap may be possible for a party more confident at the grade but they are both very thin, Spidean Way and George appear to be gone.
 Andy Nisbet 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Robertgiddy:

I doubt if George has gone
In reply to LibS:

Hi everyone,

Went up at the weekend and would describe it as basically summer with some hard compacted neve in the north facing gullys. There did look like there was some ice on poacher's fall but it was the thinnest i've seen it.

In reply to LibS:

Continuous ice? Was it ice that was newly formed?

Thanks

NMM
In reply to LibS:

Anyone know anything about condition on Penguin Gully?
In reply to LibS:

I wouldn't have said it was newly formed - but I didn't get particularly close so that's a bit of a guess.
In reply to LibS:

Has anyone been up to Torridon recently?
I'm wondering what the cragging will be like up there this coming week?
Cheers!
 Michael Gordon 05 Apr 2015
In reply to John McKenna - Rockfax:

Possibly occasionally damp (going by current forecast) but if you get good weather then should be really good. Can always go further east if you have to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...