UKC

NEWS: New Technical Developer at UKClimbing - Martin Mckenna

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Mar 2015
Martin Mckenna, 4 kbWe are extremely pleased to welcome Martin Mckenna to the UKC/UKH team. Martin is a keen climber and programmer living in Glasgow and a graduate of the University of Strathclyde.

He has been climbing since childhood. "I was introduced to climbing by my Dad on my 7th birthday with a trip down to...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69605
 edunn 23 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Dream job!!

Well done Martin.
In reply to UKC News:

Congratulations Martin, look forward to meeting you in reality (as opposed to Skype)!
 el diablo 23 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff Martin, well done
John D
 TobyA 23 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Well done to Martin. BTW, where's the profile pic taken? I guessed Ben Nevis at first but there is something odd going on in the right back ground - either some clone tooling or something industrial in real life?
Thanks everyone.

Toby I seem to remember this picture was a panorama taken by my mate as we topped out after a night ascent of Tower Ridge. I've never noticed that before. Its probably the way the image was stitched.

In reply to TobyA:
I did some tacky cloning in order to make the photo fit our wide montage image without cropping Martin's head off!

Alan
Post edited at 14:39
 planetmarshall 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> I did some tacky cloning in order to make the photo fit our wide montage image without cropping Martin's head off!

Do you use Photoshop? In which case try the "Context Aware Fill" tool. I use it to fill gaps in panoramas - it's basically some kind of sorcery.
 kwoods 23 Mar 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Do you use Photoshop? In which case try the "Context Aware Fill" tool. I use it to fill gaps in panoramas - it's basically some kind of sorcery.

I'm going to keep that mind! (doing panos a LOT)
 planetmarshall 23 Mar 2015
In reply to kwoods:

> ...doing panos a LOT

You should take a look at Microsoft's Image Composite Editor. It has an option that automatically fills in gaps for you. I've no idea how that works either (OK, I have a vague idea, but it's still bloody clever).

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/ice/
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Do you use Photoshop? In which case try the "Context Aware Fill" tool. I use it to fill gaps in panoramas - it's basically some kind of sorcery.

Exactly what I did do. It fills it with multiple clones though and is sometimes a bit dodgy. Pretty amazing sometimes though!

Alan
 TobyA 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Martin McKenna:

Hah! So Alan, reveals all. So it was Ben Nevis - that 'felt' right and now we know why the background felt wrong! Good luck with the job.
 IanMcC 23 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Well done, Martin. Congrats.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 24 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Welcome Martin! Good luck with the new role!
 mgeek 24 Mar 2015
In reply to James Rushforth:

Congrats on cool new job Martin!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...