UKC

Am I too old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
medavidcook 23 Mar 2015
Hello, I am wondering if i am to old to get into mountaineering

I have done some hiking before but now would like to do some mountaineering, however I am 29yrs old, would that make it a bit difficult

thanks
 rallymania 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

WHAT?

life begins at 30, just do it!
 summo 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

at 30 you are certainly not over the hill.

Sorry.
 CurlyStevo 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

One of my friends started at 40, he's lead E1 in the mountains and grade V winter as well as a bunch of stuff in the Alps. Sure not exactly breaking records but well above national average.

Anyway grade is irrelevent I would say at 60 there is no reason not to start if you are able.

Just do it.
medavidcook 23 Mar 2015
Awesome thats what i want to here, how do i find out about the grades etc.
 chris gooder 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

I started climbing at 29, I'm now 67 and still at it. Be prepared for it to take over your life!
 Richie Tyrrell 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

I'm 45, and people say I must be fit getting out on the hill, summer and winter, I just say I'm stubborn. Get out here and enjoy yourself. Do a course or meet up with someone who is a little more knowledgable then you. Regardless as long as you are enjoying yourself, your winning.

Richie.
 cfer 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Yeah far too old......

Get in the chair and put your slippers on, and complain about the youth of today not being respectful.......

obv tongue in cheek

I'm 33 and just now starting on my trad journey...get out and have fun..
medavidcook 23 Mar 2015
Awesome, thanks guys, i am upping my fitness and hiking and then going to find groups to go mountaineering with
moffatross 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Be prepared for some small changes as you get older. I used to carry beer to the summit, but now I take soup.
 Jamie Wakeham 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

A chap I know was heard to remark, on turning 82, that he was finding E1 a bit of a challenge these days and intended to stick to about VS from now on.
 GridNorth 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Join a club. There's lots to learn although if you have hiked you can, presumably, use a map and compass which puts you ahead of lots of climbers I know. You need to learn some basic rock climbing as well as snow and ice skills.
medavidcook 23 Mar 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

yeh need to try and find a club by me, I done some wall climbing years ago, but will look for a club and try and join
 GrahamD 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

I didn't start until I was about 33. If you're keen then your age isn't a limitation.
 Mark Kemball 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Is this for real or a troll?
 flopsicle 23 Mar 2015
In reply to moffatross:

I wanted to like that twice!
Removed User 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Are you serious? If 30 is old where you come from then you need to get some new friends, seriously.

The vast bulk of the biggest hitters (E3 and VI+) in my MC are over 50 and a couple are well over 60, and some got into climbing when they were older than you.
 john arran 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Well done. You seem to have hooked a few.
andymac 23 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

You are but a pup.

Age Doesn't stop me ,and I'm past the point of no return ; 40

I remember when these hills were all fields
redsonja 26 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Too old???? Don't be daft! You have all your life ahead of you. A lady I know started climbing and mountaineering when she was almost 50. Go for it- Good luck
needvert 26 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

It's easier when you're older, you can afford gear.
 GridNorth 26 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

I'm 66 and can climb E3 and f6c on a good day.
 JohnnyW 26 Mar 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> I'm 66 and can climb E3 and f6c on a good day.

I'm 50 and I can't, but 29 is about the time I started in the hills, and haven't looked back.
Rigid Raider 26 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

I'm 59 and fitter now than I've ever been in my life, thanks to taking up mountain biking in 1988 then road cycling 5 years ago. I still consider myself a mountaineer and intend to take it up again when I have time, after I retire at 66.

....if I still have my marbles, that is....
 nutme 26 Mar 2015
I guess starting at 29 has benefits.

You can afford more stuff straight away. Pay for courses and cable cars instead of hiking up and learning glacier rescue with a book. Then I was in school / uni founds for expeditions were always a problem.

You are more physically developed. That true especially for men. It's amazing age in terms of endurance and strength. You may be not as agile and dexterous as teenagers tho.

I would suggest to meet local mountaineering clubs. See if any will make you comfortable. It can be a great source of knowledge and people. Mountaineering is a group activity and you will need partners.
In reply to medavidcook:

Don't be ridiculous. I know many mountaineers in their 70's who still get out on a regular basis.
 DerwentDiluted 26 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

I met a guy on the summit of the Breithorn in Switzerland, if was his 76th birthday and he still tried to do a 4000m peak each year on his birthday. He was moaning that he now had to do the easy ones.
 John Gresty 27 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

You shouldn't need to ask, but 30 is old to some people. Maybe you are one of them. I have been invited to several birthday parties where folks are ' celebrating' achieving 30 years of age but they always seems to me that they see that age as the beginning of the end.
 Paul Hy 27 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

What planet are you from??? old at 29!!! your having a laugh!!!
 deacondeacon 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Paul Hy:

Shurrup grandad!
 marsbar 27 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Hilarious. No. Honestly kids today, when I was a lass etc etc.

Andy Morley 28 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Definitely too old - you won't stand a chance. Apply for an allotment is my advice!
Jim C 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

> Definitely too old - you won't stand a chance. Apply for an allotment is my advice!

Have you tried working an allotment !
( I would rather humph winter gear up a mountain )
llechwedd 28 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Hurry up! Be quick!

You can still do it, but Scafell Pike has become considerably easier now that the top 1/2" has been removed.
In fact, almost all the mountains are disappearing into the sea
Anything you achieve wont be as hard as it was in the good old days, but good luck...
 Rob Naylor 28 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Too old????

I started rock climbing at 42, after getting into winter mountaineering at 40. Got a couple of Alps trips under my belt, and several visits to Rjukan for ice-climbing.

I started running at 52, having not run a step since 5th form cross-country. I ran my first half-marathon at 52 and my first marathon at 53. I've stuck at 2 marathons but lost count of the half marathons I've run since then, plus an assortment of "fun challenge" races such as Tough Guy, Major Series, etc.

You're never too old to start somethign different. At 29 you're nobbut a nipper, lad.
 Brass Nipples 28 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Speak with you doctor and try not to go further than 400m it may strain your body too much.

Alex Slipchuk 29 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Absolutely way too old, don't even consider it. Given the mental attitude required and the fact you question your ability it is a definite no no. However if you respond well to reverse psychology then perhaps reconsider.
 Alex Slipchuk 29 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Don't listen to the advice of those encouraging you, they may be trying to lure you in with a false sense of security. Oh and when the time comes, search for old posts regarding quarks v vipers rather than posting your own query.
 Chris Murray 29 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

29!!! Too old??? I'd give my left bollock to be 29 again!!
 Paul Troon 29 Mar 2015
In reply to medavidcook:
Most have have said it all how ever I bolder climb run looking to do Welsh 3000 and Cullen ridge this yet still young at 57 . Then there's work , I grow veg at a walled garden a large allotment for those who don't know what a walled garden is.
Post edited at 21:41
 Tam O'Bam 04 Apr 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

I am 56, have two replacement hips, four stents in my heart and some respiratory problems. I did "The Runnel" in the Northern Corries at Cairngorm two weekends ago, and loved it!!

Too old at 29? I have to assume you're "Havin' a laugh". (Presumably you ARE having a laugh, and have just posted this to provoke responses from old(er) farts like myself)!!

But for god's sake, GET ON WITH IT!

(Oh, and try not to marry a psychopath, who will tell you you can't climb any more; that part of your life is over).

Enjoy!
 Tam O'Bam 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

Yup! And I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
 Billhook 04 Apr 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

I'm 65, I still go winter climbing in Scotland and quite capable of doing 43km on cross country skis.

Canoeing in Canada last year I met a well known and respected Cree indian, whose spent his entire life hunting, canoeing, guiding and fishing on and around the River Missinaibi in Northern Ontario. He is quite capable of paddling all day, every day over rapids and long, long portages carrying canoe and kit in one go. (180lb plus) some portages on this river are a mile and half long. He does it at least once a year from start to finish - the river is around 400miles long. He is 83 years old!! Buck up!

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?46234-Ray-Mears-Meet-...
 Andy Morley 04 Apr 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

OK, so maybe not an allotment. Try stamp-collecting, or needlework. No-one in their right mind would start climbing at your age.
 Trangia 04 Apr 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

A mate of mine started when he was over 50. He is now 72 and leads HVS/E1.

So long as you are fit, you are never too old.
 Trangia 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

> 29!!! Too old??? I'd give my left bollock to be 29 again!!

What's wrong with your right one?
 spartacus 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Trangia:
I am 55 years old, and have had a total of 6 heart operations in the last five years, lasting between 5 and 7 hours.

Still very active in the hills. Do I win?

Trangia 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Aztec Bar:
Why not?

I am 71. Over the last three years Ihave had prostate cancer and a radical prostatectomy, and had several kidney stones removed under general anesthetic, and I still climb regularly and walk on average 50 miles a week.

I consider myself to be fit.
Post edited at 17:03
 Andy Morley 04 Apr 2015
I> I am 71. Over the last three years Ihave had prostate cancer and a radical prostatectomy, and had several kidney stones removed under general anesthetic, and I still climb regularly and walk on average 50 miles a week.

Actually, on reflection, maybe he's too young? Perhaps he should be devoting all his energies to clubbing while he still can.

useful 23 Apr 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

I'm 43 and only started this mountaineering journey for real at 40. If that's too old, then I'm screwed!

(Background: Currently leading VS, seconding HVS/E1, ML(S) last year, SPA this!)
 Paul Hy 24 Apr 2015
In reply to useful:

I started at 54 so likewise. Lead upto E1 5b and very happy leading VS.
Jim C 24 Apr 2015
In reply to medavidcook:
Not at all too late, but if you are say 5'8 and 25 stone , very unfit with chronic arthritis, and suffer from vertigo, then it might take you a while longer to turn that around.

Otherwise you are good to go.

spacemaker 05 May 2015
In reply to medavidcook:

Im just starting out and Im 51, I might not be able to keep up with the youngsters out there but I'm going to enjoy trying
andymac 05 May 2015
In reply to moffatross:

> Be prepared for some small changes as you get older. I used to carry beer to the summit, but now I take soup.

You must be really old.

Are you 40?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...