UKC

Rockshoe resole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gilliesp 27 Mar 2015
My rock shoes need a half resole. I usually use Cheshire Shoe Co. However, a while ago when in Cotswolds, one of their assistants said they all used a local cobbler in Glasgow's West End - 'just around the corner' from shop. Any ideas where it might be? I'll maybe get back in to the shop but the guy isn't always on.
 jsmcfarland 27 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

How comes you don't just use Cheshire Shoe? Got back my Anasazi's from them just the other day and for £35 or whatever it is effectively I have a new shoe. Quality is impressive
 uphillnow 27 Mar 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

I had the opposite experience - couldnt believe the wellie shape sole they put on same boot! (same make). I hear the outfit in Llanberis is good.
OP gilliesp 27 Mar 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Because it might be more convenient to source the repair locally (no postage and wait involved) and the price would be interesting to find out. That's really why. I used Cheshire (and will probably again) to resole hill boots and rock shoes and Nepal Extremes - on which they did a wonderful job with the proper sole units. All reasonably priced. However if there was a place locally where I could reduce the longish wait and cost I would consider it.
 Max factor 27 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

It's really variable. I've used each of the UK resolers in turn until a bad job has pushed me onto the next one. Sometimes it's all good, but often as not they have turned them into a clumpy pair of clown shoes, totally changed the last so they don't fit anymore, or they have delaminated, been sent back, and then delaminated again.

Think I'll probably not bother trying again and just buy new.
OP gilliesp 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Max factor:

Sorry to hear you have been so unlucky. I have to say that all my Cheshire repairs have been excellent so far and I am in the process of posting the worn pair just now. Thanks all for your opinions.
 jimjimjim 29 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

I've had mine done by the Llanberis chap. Nice neat job that fit fine. Make sure you get them done before a hole appears as it will cost more for rand repair.
 chris fox 29 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

I use "feet First" out of Chesterfield. I've had xcellent service from them for years

http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/
 dereke12000 29 Mar 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

I have never had a problem with Cheshire Shoe Co; each time they come back good as new and slightly tighter to allow for the inevitable stretch, some pairs I have had resoled twice and they are still good.
 Jim Lancs 29 Mar 2015
The only re-soling place I've had a problem with is Feet First.

The shoes came back looking brilliant, but it was soon obvious that they had been too aggressive when sanding around the new sole and rand, that a hole quickly appeared appeared in the overly thin rand.

I used Cheshire Shoe after that, and have been really pleased with their work.
 Skip 29 Mar 2015
In reply to dereke12000:

> I have never had a problem with Cheshire Shoe Co; each time they come back good as new and slightly tighter to allow for the inevitable stretch, some pairs I have had resoled twice and they are still good.

Just had a pair of Scarpa Helix done in Cheshire. Looks like a good job, they are tighter but hopefully that will accommodate for stretch.
 auld al 29 Mar 2015
In reply to jimjimjim:

> I've had mine done by the Llanberis chap. Nice neat job that fit fine. Make sure you get them done before a hole appears as it will cost more for rand repair.

Cheshire don't charge extra for a rand patch, unlike some others
OP gilliesp 31 Mar 2015
In reply to auld al:

I think it was my Nepal Extremes that they did a lot more on than I anticipated, at no extra charge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...