UKC

Wellington Crack (E4 5c), Ilkley Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aigen 04 Apr 2015
Hello. Anyone done Wellington Crack (E4 5c), Ilkley? The grade would suggest that its very bold. Is the start really run out and can you hit the deck?
 Bob 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

It's not bold if you can hang around to put the gear in - it was originally an aid route remember. The other point is that it's more of a layback than straight on crack climbing so often you are placing gear blind. I can't remember the bottom bit being bold but it's 25 years since I did it.

There's some recent shots of it in the galleries.
 1poundSOCKS 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

It's sustained rather than bold.
 CrankCrimp 05 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

Currently my project too..
yes you can hit the deck (as with any climb) the start I've found to be powerful, but not hard as such, so unlikely you would fall off it if you're a fairly solid E4 climber. I however, am not. So I can't tell you about the rest of the route
In reply to Aigen:

>The grade would suggest that its very bold.

You've seen the thing, right??

jcm
 im off 06 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

The start is protectable. Couple of good small nuts that were solid from what I remember that got in high up the first section just before the hard stuff starts. So long as keep sticking a bit more in its safe. The whole thing has good pro if can place it. Scares the shit out of you however. You'll have fun I guarantee.
 DWS gibraltar 06 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen Its a good old fashioned pump fest but fun. Have all your kit prepared wires on QDs etc. The less time you are messing around the more chance of success!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...