UKC

Scarpa Charmoz heel blister

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Smiffy 09 Apr 2015
I needed so boots for alpine summer / UK winter.
I originally bought some Scrapa Cristalos off ebay in size 43 as I normally wear a UK size 9 shoe. However it became clear very quickly that they were too small as my toes hit the end of the toe box and hurt even in thin socks. So I tried to find another pair new from a shop so I could try the fit of a size 44. However, Scarpa discontinued the boot.
So I decided that I liked the Scrapa Charmoz B2's. I tried to find a local highstreet stockist but I couldn't. So I tried on a pair of Scarpa Mantras in the shop to get a idea of size (I had no intent on buying them though). With a thin sock, size 43 were tool small, but size 44 were a little big. So it had to be 44, and with a thick sock on it should be OK. So I bought a pair of Scapra Charmoz in size 44 online. They fitted pretty well straight out the box and with a thin liner and thick sock combo, they were quite comfy. There was a little heel lift but I expected this as they are very stiff soles being a B2. I have had a comple of trips in them now, including some big days out doing grade I/II winter climbs in the Cairngorms over Easter recently. All was well apart from the right boot rubbing the back of my heel just below the achilies tendon. This eventually formed a small blister. It is really annoying as they fit great everywhere else and my left heel is fine. So what can I do to prevent the blister? Would better (thicker) insoles work? (as the originals are very thin) Maybe a better liner sock? (my current ones are cotton / polyester and normal thickness) Different lacing scheme?
 Mark Haward 09 Apr 2015
In reply to Smiffy:

Persevere and you will get the fit right. Some suggestions:
- Rather than two pairs of socks just wear one pair. Two pairs are usually too warm and the warm moisture (yuck!) is likely to exacerbate any rubbing / blister problems. The boots should be well enough insulated for most UK winter days and alpine summer. Also, try different socks.
- Fine tune the lacing. You should be able to adjust the lacing sections so you can still wiggle your toes / have toe and foot spread space but also crank down the heel so it doesn't lift.
- In B2 / B3 boots take slightly shorter strides than you usually would with walking boots / approach shoes as they have far less 'rock' and, of course, are stiffer so normal length or longer strides tend to exacerbate the heel lift.
- If lacing does not work, and give this lots of experiments first, try different insoles / volume adjusters.
- If all else fails and the problem is only a small niggle consider taping or blister plastering the offending heel before going for a day out.

Have fun
OP Smiffy 09 Apr 2015
In reply to Mark / Alps:

I am going to try some of these:-

http://www.bridgedale.com/coolmaxr-liner

As my current liner socks are not the best. Might get some different insoles too. I have heard that putting duct tape on the affected areas of your feet also works wonders.
In reply to Smiffy:
Blister prevention patches - http://www.goengo.co.uk. Not cheap but have never failed to work ie stop blisters in all the boots I've used them in. They last for a long time if you are careful how you put the boots on.
 Adam_Turner 09 Apr 2015
In reply to Smiffy:

Bridgedale coolmax liners for sure.
Different lacing technique/styles. Normally with this a small change makes a big difference.
Superfeet or similar insole to hold your heel in place.
Volume reducers if necessary.

All of or a combination of these are very likely to do the job with a small blister on the heel.
 Pbob 09 Apr 2015
In reply to Smiffy:

Might be worth considering doing some stretching exercises on your ankle. More flex in ankle less movement of heel against boot less blisters. Advice I had from a podiatrist for similar problem. Too early to know if its going to work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...