UKC

Germany with bad knees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Inhambane 16 Apr 2015
Hello

Can anyone recommend good locations for walking in Germany?

I am planning a trip with my Dad and he has bad knees which can't handle hills, so they need to be ruled out. We'd aim to walk a maximum 9 miles per day.

Places with good food and beer a bonus. I was thinking bavaria region.

Thanks
 Roadrunner5 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Inhambane:

Tegernsee is stunning but Bavaria is very hilly.

If you want more rolling hills how about Thuringa? Along the Rennsteiglauf?

In the North there is also the Harz mountains, basically rolling forested hills. I used to go there. The highest peak is 1300m or so, Brocken, nothing steep. It was on the border so interesting place and much less touristy than Bavaria.

Food is much better in Bavaria though. Bad Tollz, Tegernsee etc are nice places with smaller hills on the edge of the mountains proper but still pretty hilly.
cb294 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Inhambane:

The highest density of small family breweries can be found in Oberfranken, the northernmost district of Bavaria. Very scenic, most walks go over the plateaus, so most days you need to go up once and then down in the evening. There are even tours from brewery to brewery that go from day hikes to multi day circuits.

Most villages also have small "Gasthof/Pension" where you can find decent food and a bed for the night. Places like Bamberg with its gothic cathedral and baroque bishops palace are definitely worth a visit, but there are many more medieval villages and castles off the beaten tourist path.

PM for more info if needed, it is where I am from....

CB
OP Inhambane 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Hi Roadrunner5

Thanks for the info. We are not looking to go up any hills really just walk amongst them or around them. England is quiet flat in comparison to germany. So flat is good 1300m is probably too much climb.
 IPPurewater 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Inhambane:

There are plenty of long distance routes along rivers, usually shared with cyclists i.e. the Moselle and Rhine, if that's any help.
cb294 16 Apr 2015
In reply to IPPurewater:

DonĀ“t do the river routes except by bike, if you value your life...

CB
 John Ww 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Inhambane:

Lots of lovely easy walks (especially along river valleys) in Franken in the Pottenstein / Gossweinstein area - coupled with excellent (and ridiculously cheap) food and beer. Accommodation is also extremely reasonable, if a little 1950s. We go every year if that's any recommendations.

JW
 Roadrunner5 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Inhambane:

In the harz you park much higher, you can get to Brocken with parking at 1000m or so and a 9 mile loop.

https://www.strava.com/activities/63883052

If you see this, that's the hike up Brocken I did with my missus. looks steeper than it was, but the Y axis is exaggerated on the profile.
 AlanLittle 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Inhambane:

Second the recommendation for Oberfranken. Quite reminiscent of the White Peak in some ways but a much bigger area, slightly less hilly and more forested. My favourite climbing area, also lots to see & do for the non-climber. Fantastic beer, good and cheap food in pubs & b&b's in most villages.

The Bayrischer Wald on the Czech frontier is also a very charming area but a bit more up & down.
 mbh 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Inhambane:

Munich! It's lovely! Maybe not for your whole holiday, but [on our way to the Dolomites] we camped somewhere on the outskirts, and then did day trips in, taking the bus/train which was dead easy. In the centre, there is the massive English Garden which you can spend the best part of a day walking around, taking the tram back if you want, and there also seemed to be a network of cycle/walking paths in the city, a part of which I used for running in the mornings from the campsite. The one I used, along a river, was flat and pleasant, and although there were a few cyclists they weren't life-threatening . It also passed a couple of Oktoberfest (I think) beer gardens.
OP Inhambane 17 Apr 2015
In reply to Inhambane:

Thanks guys, some great ideas here, time to get excited and planning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...