UKC

Godspeed: album recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 23 Apr 2015
Saw them the other night. What's their best stuff?
 psaunders 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven and F-sharp, A-sharp, Infinity are my favourites. Don't know the recent stuff as well.
 tony 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

V jealous. 'Lift your skinny fists' is terrific. Allelujah is the other one I have, which is good but not as good as skinny fists.
 Mr Fuller 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:
Lift your skinny fists... for me too. That bit with the violins and the spoken word "it takes dedication, it takes a death..." is just absolutely gripping.

Saw them live in Leeds a couple of years ago; they were brilliant. I didn't know whether to dance, close my eyes and listen, or rock out. It was just ace.
Post edited at 20:15
 The Potato 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I like You! black emperor
In reply to Flinticus:

the Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada ep is a great introduction.

Raise Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is definitely their best album (although they are all worthwhile).

I also really like the first A Silver Mount Zion album - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corners Of Our Rooms. They're a (less epic) side project of Efrim and a few others from Godspeed. Not really ever got into their more recent stuff, but maybe that's just me.
In reply to Mr Fuller:

> Lift your skinny fists... for me too. That bit with the violins and the spoken word "it takes dedication, it takes a death..." is just absolutely gripping.

F#A#oo and Lift Your Skinny Fists... and the mini-album Slow Riot For New Zero Kaneda. Agree re that section of Lift Your... - there's a ten minute spell where, instead of the usual noise-terrorism, there is a simple, lilting violin tune - like a musical folk tale or nursery rhyme; nearly always makes me well up (only comparable tune that comes to mind is Helicon by Mogwai).
 aln 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Was that in Glasgow?
OP Flinticus 24 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:

Yeah, at the ABC

You there? Who was the support? Really liked them too.
OP Flinticus 24 Apr 2015
In reply to victim of mathematics:

I've got two Silver Mount Zion albums and saw them play about 3 years ago. That's why I decided to go see Godspeed YBE. The connection is evident in the music.
OP Flinticus 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I did that close your eyes thing and get pulled away on a current of music.
 RyanOsborne 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Completely forgot about that band! I remember going to the music shop in Chatham on the train as a kid and buying a copy of the album with a picture of bombs falling on the front. I must have been about 14, and was usually either listening to them, Mogwai or Explosions in the Sky.

Might look them up later, rekindle an favourite!
 aln 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

> Yeah, at the ABC

> You there?

No. Didn't know they were playing or I would have been.
 Oujmik 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Never heard them before (had always assumed from the name that they were some flavour of metal) so listening on Spotify... with the aid of the flowchart above I have landed on F/A/inf as being the only one that I find listenable right now. It seems to have some melody to the instrumental parts whereas the others seem very ambient and repetitive. Am I missing something?
 thomascarr 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Have another vote for Skinny Fists.
OP Flinticus 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

Ha! I always thought they would be too metal as well, until makin the connection with Silver Mout Zion. Can't comment on their albums: I've only heard them live and they had a more sophisticated, nuanced 'post-rock' vibe. I don't mind repetitive (if it builds, mutates) though not too keen on 'ambient'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...