UKC

Good places near London to train for Scafell Pike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dr6 23 Jun 2015

Hey guys, thanks in advance for your answers. I might be climbing Scafell Pike in 5 to 6 weeks and I'm seriously out of shape. Last year I climbed Ben Nevis and it was pretty brutal ... I was in better shape than I am now but hadn't climbed a hill in many years. Since Scafell Pike is at ~1000m I was hoping for some easily accessible from North London (I don't have a car) climbs to get me a little practice. Something at 250m to start me off (I'd probably struggle with that right now), then going up to 600m with a similar type of path/scree as Scafell. I walk around the park quite a lot, but it's very flat ... the guy I'd climb Scafell with is in much better shape & I don't want a repeat of Ben Nevis when I slowed my partner down an inordinate amount (although he didn't seem to mind). Thanks again!
Post edited at 18:09
Lusk 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

Walk to the top of The Shard and back down, ten times, using the staircase.
 SenzuBean 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

There's nothing much other than going up and down stairs in London. However to get your general fitness up, join either a walking group, or go to meetup.com and join one of the myriad weekend hiking/walking groups around London - they do walks anywhere from 15km to 45km, all over the country.

In terms of scree, there's nothing in London _except_ for some chalky scree slopes on Box Hill.

dr6 23 Jun 2015
In reply to Lusk:

I know you're joking but I used to live Chicago, every February there's Hustle Up The Hancock where you climb 94 flights of stairs, I toyed with doing it one year and trained in the high rise I was living in, got up about 4 flights of stairs and decided I would not be Hustling Up The Hancock
dr6 23 Jun 2015
What do you guys think about Leith Hill? I might be able to blag a car or a ride to get down there - would it be good practice?
m0unt41n 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

Don't get too hung up about hills.
The 'problem' is partly your leg muscles but also your feet and back having to work continuously for 6 hours or more and most important your head not giving up.
Building up to walking quickly with a big heavy rucksack for 6 hours or more will get your feet and head ready.
Problem with doing it in London is that you are either going to look like a prat or a terrorist.

maybe_si 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

There is a great 10km loop around box hill which is signposted, starting and finishing at the top car park, I've been using that as a run, still not yet got under 1hr... it's brutal!! The Headley Lane steps made the Cuillin Ridge feel easy
 maybe_si 23 Jun 2015
In reply to m0unt41n:

Why on earth would you have a 'big heavy rucsack' on Scafell?? Surely some water, snack, jacket and a map will suffice?!
 Billhook 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

walk with a big heavy rucksack. When you go up Scafell with just your essential stuff, you'll feel fitter for having practiced with a heavier rucksack.
 The Ivanator 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

Covent Garden Tube stairs, get the lift down again and repeat.
 lowersharpnose 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

You just want time (hours) on your feet walking. Some contours would be a useful addition.

On the day, make it easy for yourself by taking only what is needed, a small rucksack will be fine. I don't wear walking boots, just trainers. Much less weight.
 JayPee630 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

It's not complicated...

Start running a few times a week, maybe enter Park Run to give you some focus. Get out (the South Downs?) a few times and do long brisk walks for 6-8 hours. Try and lose a bit of weight if you're porky. Don't carry so much tat on the day.
m0unt41n 23 Jun 2015
In reply to maybe_si:

If you had read my post you would have realised that it clearly makes no mention of what to take when doing Scafell, it only refers to training.
 maybe_si 23 Jun 2015
In reply to m0unt41n:

Fair point
 Mark Eddy 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

I take hundreds of people up and down Scafell Pike every year. A common complaint is ankle / knees pain and the effect loose boulders / scree has on the joints, and on general ability to balance. The only way to train for this is to do it and from what I can gather that is impossible in or near to London. So next best thing:

Up and down lots of stairs with a backpack on will make for a good start.
Lots of time on your feet will also be of benefit.
Getting your general level of fitness up will be essential if you're hoping to enjoy it.

Going to the gym may help a little, but walking as much as possible would benefit you more, the rougher the terrain the better, as Scafell Pike terrain is rough by most peoples standards. The paths are not as good as those on Ben Nevis and although the height gain is less for Scafell Pike, don't let it fool you into thinking it's easy by comparison, it's not!

And if you don't feel ready for the hike just yet, why not put it off for a while and use the time to walk some of the smaller mountains, build up your mountain fitness, that way you may well enjoy the experience much more.
A few photos from our site, may be of interest: http://www.climb-scafell.co.uk/gallery.html

Hope this is helpful
 SenzuBean 23 Jun 2015
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

> Going to the gym may help a little, but walking as much as possible would benefit you more...

Looking back a few years ago, I remember that a regimen of squats and deadlifts helped me immensely to be able to climb mountains relatively easily. The squat gives leg strength through the whole range of motion, and prepares the joint for heavy loading - this allows the walker to do those high steps with ease. The deadlift trains the back and posture to be straight, and allows the body to be rigid to move the load to the thighs and off the upper body. A trained squatter may not necessarily be quick, but will be sure to reach the top.
 deepstar 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

What about walking from the National Maritime Museum to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich, quite a steep climb but nice views.
 Tom Packer 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

There are loads of challenging walks near to London, particularly on the South Downs and south coast.

You could do no worse than get Time Out's Country Walks books (available at most London libraries). Think some of them are available online as well. They grade the walks from 1 - 10 and the 8 and 9s (don't think I've come across a 10) can be a decent day out.
 marsbar 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:
You could try Alexandra palace and Epping forest.
Post edited at 22:33
 nufkin 23 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

> What do you guys think about Leith Hill? I might be able to blag a car or a ride to get down there - would it be good practice?

Box Hill is a bit steeper, from memory, and a bit easier to get to from London (tube to Waterloo/Victoria, train to Dorking, getting off at Westhumble - I don't think they all stop there, though, so you might need to change) - you could build up to repeats up the grassy side and down to the stepping-stones, or vice-versa. If you add maybe-si's 10k loop that'd be a decent amount of walking.
Leith Hill is a bit higher, but trickier to get to. You could walk there from Dorking when you've got a bit of training done, of course
dr6 23 Jun 2015
Wow, some amazing replies thanks. I wasn't planning to do any hillwalking for a while but a friend is coming to the UK for a christening near Barrow-in Furness ... I have a limited time to train ... I've typically struggled an inordinate amount with hills whether walking, running or cycling ... so I want to get practice in - that Covent Garden idea sounds pretty good actually, might do that, how about a stairmaster?

Dauphin 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

Just struggle up it like a fat knacker (count myself in that) flailling and cursing all the pies and pints and night shifts in the close galaxy. PMA man! Provided your under 70 and not a 50 a day man you will make it. Oh and Regents park > Primrose Hill > Parliament Hill> Alexandria Palace.

D
 summo 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

lots of free stair climbing machines in London, they do get a bit congested at times and they vary in length and speed. Strange thing is most people seem to use them going in the wrong direction, but there is no accounting for southerners.
XXXX 24 Jun 2015
In reply to nufkin:

Leith hill is about a mile from Holmwood station and that area is 100 times nicer than the honeypot of Box Hill as it's easier to plan decent routes avoiding lycra and day trippers. To be honest, Holmbury is probably better, there are about seven paths to the top and all of them sandy so good practice for little legs.

Box Hill is the Snowdon of the south. I don't know why people flock to it.

Going south, Hassocks, Lewes, Amberley, Arundel are all stations with near immediate access to the south downs.

GrahamD 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

You can do much worse than just running and walking on the relatively flat areas around you. Time spent walking - and especially in the footwear you intend to use on Scafell Pike - will help immensely. Getting up hills isn't all about fitness. comfortable feet is a huge part of it.
 herbe_rouge 24 Jun 2015
In reply to maybe_si:

Can't recommend this enough - we use it as training for the Fan dance. Far more brutal than you'd expect from Surrey. We took a fit 27 year old on it who threw up at the top of those steps. The National Trust call it the Box Hill Hike, first time out, consider doing it in reverse, the National Trust direction saves a nasty incline for the end.
 Mike Peacock 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

Slightly further afield, but you can get a direct train (takes about an hour) from Paddington to Kintbury. From there you can be up on Walbury Hill and Pilot Hill, both of which have some steep slopes in places. The same train will also take you to Pewsey where you can be out onto the Wiltshire Downs. Both areas have scope for long walking days.
 Dark-Cloud 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

Do people really "train" for walking up Scafell ? How old are you ?

As above, just spend plenty of time on your feet with a few runs, all you need is reasonable cardio shape, it's just a nice walk in the lakes.
dr6 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm very fat & my friend is a runner. I could probably do Scafell today but I wouldn't enjoy it and I'd stop every 5 to 10 minutes for a breather. My friend might not enjoy that. 5 to 6 weeks is plenty of time to improve my fitness but I want to make the most of it.
 Dark-Cloud 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:
Hmmmmm, not sure if you are serious, anyway, I will reserve judgement for now,

As above, long steady walks are all you need.
Post edited at 12:07
 GrahamD 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> As above, long steady walks are all you need.

.......In the same footwear you intend to use on the hill. Obvious but often overlooked in the quest to attain unnecessary super fitness levels.
 Mal Grey 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

I'd definitely recommend the area around Leith Hill, even if just because its so nice. If you do loops out and back to the north and south of the hills themselves, its surprisingly easy to rack up quite a lot of climbing, I've managed over 600m in just 6-8 mile circular-ish walks. I've done it a few times as modest training for winter walking trips. However, it won't work in isolation unless you can do it lots of times, the rest of my training normally involves lunchtime 40 minute walks as often as possible & running a couple of times a week.

As for Box Hill, I nearly went back there with ice axe and crampons a couple of winters ago when the snow came down and the steep chalk "scree" sloped above the river Mole looked like nearly 100m grade 1 gullies. Never got round to it though...
 Owen W-G 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

To train for dolomites, Mate of mine who works in the city used to spend his lunchbreaks walking up the 20 floors in his office wearing a rucksack filled with photocopy paper. Think he could manage 5 laps per day.
 tony 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

If it makes you feel less apprehensive, Scafell Pike is 366 metres (more than 1000ft) lower than Ben Nevis, and you'll start at a slightly higher elevation, so you'll only be doing about 70% of the climbing you did when you did Ben Nevis.

Long walks and time on your feet is what's needed.
Rigid Raider 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

...and, sorry to say it, lose some weight. It's said that exercise before breakfast is a great way to burn off the calories. A brisk half-hour walk before brekky would help and would set you up for the day.
 3leggeddog 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

The stairs
 Brass Nipples 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

Yep just lose the weight through regular daily exercise. Walk or cycle everywhere, do not use the tube. Do not use the lift. What you should be asking is how do I get fit. Walking up Scafell is not challenging when you're fit enough and you have a good leader to pace and navigate it.
 teflonpete 24 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:
Get yourself out to Ally Pally every Saturday morning and walk up to the entrance from the bottom car park 10 times. Build it up to 20 times carrying a rucsac with a few litres of water in it over the course of a few weeks. Remember, walking down hill is as important as walking up and you need to get your knees and ankles strengthened up as much as your thighs and calves.
For actually going up Scafell Pike, think about going for the approach that goes past Great End rather than the shortest route on the map from the West, it's a bit of a longer walk but the gradients are a bit more gentle and interspersed with dips and flats. The last bit up on to the Pike is a bit loose with a bit of scree but it's short lived.
Post edited at 21:36
In reply to dr6:
At this time of year good training would be a busy tube station at rush hour. The three peakers are out in force.
 Jasonic 25 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

Good plan to get fit! Regular daily exercise such as cycling/walking to work, swimming, walking up the stairs rather than escalators, combined with longer hikes at weekends..
Gradually building it up-
Actually like walking around London, you can combine lots of parks and the south bank..

A friend of mine lost lots of weight by combining exercise with simply eating less food!

Trangia 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Tom Packer:
> There are loads of challenging walks near to London, particularly on the South Downs and south coast.

Plus 1. Particularly the Seven Sisters near Beachy Head. You can easily do the equivalent height gain and loss of Scafell Pike in a day on the Downs.
Post edited at 07:56
 Flinticus 25 Jun 2015
In reply to dr6:

Any gravel heaps or old quarries you could access for that scree training?

Aside from that, you've already got enough advice (I once sawa guy training in Pollok Park here in Glasgow, pulling a car tyre behind him! Not sure what he was training for, an artic crossing??)
 GrahamD 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Is there really any scree on Scafell Pike worth 'training' for ? the only 'difficult' ground involves hopping across big boulders.
 JayPee630 25 Jun 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Training for scree on Scafell seems a bit of an odd concept to me as well. Honestly, I think the OP is over thinking this.

Lose some weight, go for a few runs, get out walking a bit.
 Flinticus 25 Jun 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

To be honest, I have no idea! I rarely walk south of the border.
 LastBoyScout 25 Jun 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

Go to Angel and walk up the down escalator
Or Hampstead station has the most stairs.
 mypyrex 25 Jun 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Go to Angel and walk up the down escalator

And down the up escalator is good for practising downhill work.
dr6 03 Jul 2015
In reply to dr6:

Hey guys idk if I should make a new thread or not but my thread isn't super keen on Scafell Pike since, quoting him,

'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scafell_Pike#/media/File:Annotated_Scafel_Pik...
i donno
i sorta dislike these mountains that are just a pile of rubble'

do you have any alternatives (he is staying near Millom fwiw) that are beautiful but not 'just a pile of rubble'?

GrahamD 03 Jul 2015
In reply to dr6:

How about Great Gable ?
 Dauphin 03 Jul 2015
In reply to dr6:

How about Scartroll just over the road. I'm luvin your work.

D
 Bulls Crack 04 Jul 2015
In reply to dr6:

idn w idk means

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...