UKC

The perfect crag bag, does it exist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gd303uk 02 Jul 2015

I have been looking for a new bag to replace my Macpac Pursuit 30l, while it is a very good and extremely well made bag ; it will outlive me, it has one or two niggles which really bug me;
the opening is too narrow making loading and unloading my rack a bit of a struggle.
no floating lid, the lid is so small and that if i put ropes across the top, the lid goes no where near covering the rope, leaving it and the content of the small pockets contents to bump you encouragingly on the back of your head as you walk up to the crag.
this is minor but wow does it hurt and vex on a long day, the chest strap attachments that keep the strap at a certain height on the shoulder straps move in towards each other, leaving a sharp edge to dig into your delt's/pec's as you walk and climb, hardly noticeable at first but agony near the end.

although i like the bag( well made, simple , almost perfect) i need one that; will carry set of ropes and full rack , one that is easy to access your kit from and put back, and that is comfy-ish.

what do you use and like about your crag bag and what would you recommend i look at?
Post edited at 13:45
 HeMa 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

For general craggin' I use either DMM Vector or a small haulbag.

But there are now other options as well. I believe UKC even made a review of some models not too long ago.
 planetmarshall 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

I liked the look of this effort from Black Diamond.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-packs/pipe-dream-45-pack-BD681...
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks, i do like the look of the DMM Vector, simple and I especially like the rack bucket,
DMM do make some brilliant bits of kit.
i have just checked out their vector vid. this bag could be perfect -ish
youtube.com/watch?v=qeVdZK85BZk&
 HeMa 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

> i have just checked out their vector vid. this bag could be perfect -ish

Yah, pretty much the only thing missing (for me) is ice tool loops (or rather those dongles Lowe Alpine has), as most of the ice climbing I do locally is more akin to craggin'.
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:
i have never seen the Black Diamond or the moon bags before, both look interesting, going to take a good look at these also,
thanks to you both for putting me onto these.

Black diamond Pipe dream;
vimeo.com/114722974

Moon Arial;
vimeo.com/71422044
Post edited at 14:44
 Yanis Nayu 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

> Thanks, i do like the look of the DMM Vector, simple and I especially like the rack bucket,

> DMM do make some brilliant bits of kit.

> i have just checked out their vector vid. this bag could be perfect -ish

Num num will know exactly where to find your wallet, 'phone and house keys now you've posted that...
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

He will never find them , i hide them in my smelly socks, nobody would ever check there, would they?
doh !!

GridNorth 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:
No.

For "cragging" I prefer a sack that has panel access so that I can get at everything without having to tip the contents out on the floor. Something like the Muira 45. It's a very simple design but with several pockets and internal loops to hang gear on but does not have any ice axe attachments. But you did say crag bag.

Al
Post edited at 14:48
 RyanOsborne 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

The North Face one is really good. GF's got it, and I'm planning on stealing it from her quite a lot. Think it's called the Cinder.
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to GridNorth:
I did say crag bag
and to be honest i have never used the ice axe attachments on my old pack. ( i am too soft for ice
but yeah a bag that opens out without the; tip, bang up and down shuffle dance that usually accompanies getting my kit into the bag would be useful, i can get at everything and see it on a rope/rack mat. another bag on the list .
thanks .
do i need a loan to buy this bag

youtube.com/watch?v=9aVVWacrDg0&
Post edited at 14:59
 Dervey 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

DMM vector for me. I'm sure mines bottomless. I feel like Mary Poppins when I start taking my stuff out of it.
In reply to gd303uk:
I've had a muira 45 for a couple of years, and it's the best quality bag I've had. Couple it with the Arcteryx rope bag and it's the perfect cragging combo.
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Dervey:

i clearly haven't been looking hard enough, great recommendations from everyone,
The TNF Cinder 40 ( in red ) looks good,
thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=PzimURjBCIY&
 GridNorth 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

There's also the Climbing Technology Falesia at half the price.. Near the bottom of the page on this link:http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3625
 TobyA 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

My review from a few years back http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3906 Might give you some ideas although the models have mainly changed. Someone was saying the new version of the Arc Miura is rubbish, my old one is great. Still the bag I use most for rock climbing. There are a few I never got to try, the DMM Vector being the most obvious, but BD have some that look very good now for British trad climbers - this one http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-packs/creek-50-pack-BD68116... looks good if you carry a lot of stuff to the crag! Rock and Run are selling the Blue Ice Octopus really cheaply at the moment - they look good but maybe a bit small? Decathlon's own Simond crag pack also looks ok if the size is right for you http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rock-bag-30-l-id_8270205.html
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to TobyA:
A good review, (i look forward to your a 2015 review of crag bags
thanks for the links / recommends, my list of bags to check out is growing and becoming more complicated
the Blue ice Octopus deal is good at Rock and Run .
Post edited at 15:37
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> She wrote a review of it on her blog:

Cheers, just checked out her blog, very good and useful to see what she liked about the bag,
thanks
 RyanOsborne 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

I'll tell her you like it

Did you check out the Ynys Lochtyn post?

The Blue Ice octopus wasn't that good from my experience, it's not that comfy and doesn't have a waist belt, so if you're carrying a rack and a rope it can be pretty uncomfortable for anything other than a really short walk in.
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:
And let her know i will be trying the Almond butter and chocolate thins out this weekend
i like this blog .
http://www.thehealthyveggie.com/10-reasons-why-you-should-try-climbing-out/

i haven't seen the Ynys Lochton post , i will check it out ?
edit, just looked at it , great blog and amazing looking area to climb
http://www.thehealthyveggie.com/climbing-at-ynys-lochtyn/

excellent that's good to hear what you didnt like, points i will give extra attention to,
thanks
Post edited at 16:11
 TobyA 02 Jul 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:
> The Blue Ice octopus wasn't that good from my experience, it's not that comfy and doesn't have a waist belt,

Fair point. My Snapack only has a very simple one http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=865 and it means its less good if you have a good hike to get to your cliff. I think that might be the issue with the new Miuras too IIRC. Still available and not too expensive though, the Snapacks I mean http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/snap-snapack-p-2658.html
 TobyA 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

> A good review, (i look forward to your a 2015 review of crag bags

Actually, I would like to do an up to date one as the models available have changed quite a lot and its a type of product that still isn't as well known as I think it should be. Bags that open up in some way are more useful for most of us weekend warrior cragging types than a mountain style pack - or at least that's what I find. I will mention it to the editors!
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to TobyA:

yeh a more up to date review would be useful, especially with all the new designs etc. that are about. some of the above bags i have never seen before and i love buying and checking out kit. :0
get onto them editors, we need another review

RyanOsborne 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

Yeah they're good. She made cashew nut butter and banana ones too, that were amazing, not sure if they're on the blog though.

Ynys Lochtyn is incredible, I can't wait to go back! If you are able to get there, it's definitely worth a trip.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack!
 Ele 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

Thank you! Lovely to read you're liking my posts

Ynys Lochtyn was absolutely stunning. Seeing an orca was the cherry on the top!
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to Ele:

Hi Ele,
thank you for sharing your experiences, great pictures and writing btw, it looked like you had the entire coast to yourselves, and lovely looking rock too.

i will be trying out a few of the foody recipes very soon. even if i am on a diet them chocky thins are getting destroyed this weekend, i will let you know how i get on
 Ele 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

Wow thanks for the great feedback!

Sure, do let me know - leave a comment on the blog or something. There's plenty of healthy stuff on there, so you can keep up with your diet no problem
 kevin stephens 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

I have the same Macpac pursuit as you, and frustrated by the same problems, also it has started to come apart after many many years abuse. When I replace it this will tick all our boxes:

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/rucksacks.php?range=1&product=3
 RyanOsborne 02 Jul 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:

That looks good, but it's more than twice the price of most 'crag sack' style bags out there, and doesn't seem to have the massive opening of the crag sack designs? I think that's a pretty important feature of them.

Probably serves more purposes than the quite focussed design of the DMM Vector or North Face Cinder though.
OP gd303uk 02 Jul 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:

Cheers Kevin, its good to know its not just me that gets a little frustrated with the Macpac, maybe the new version is a little better, ??
thanks for the link it looks a tough bit of kit.
 David Staples 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

30l sounds more than reasonable when I think back to what the ex kept in hers. Bit pricy though.

http://www-m.gucci.com/uk/category/f/handbags?productOffset=30
 Dave Ferguson 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

> i need one that; will carry set of ropes and full rack

Why?
Your partner should be carrying one of the ropes and half the rack

any small 25L sack will do, you're carrying too much!
 PPP 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

I got Osprey Mutant as a do it all rucksack a week ago (I sold and got rid of at least 5 rucksacks recently as they did not fit my needs any more). I still have 7 rucksacks, including Blue Ice Octopus (not so great for carrying for longer distances) and I think Mutant might fit my needs (finally!). It can be cinched down without feeling too awkward (lid can be removed if needed), has helmet holder (or whatever they call it), floating lid, seems to have good clearance for harness/chalk bag and it's quite comfy to carry heavier loads. I can't complain! Yet to try to go to the crag with it, but I can't see it failing, really.

Though I still think that Lomo 40L sack can do nearly the same and costs almost the fourth of the Mutant's RRP. Dead simple and durable, and it's almost like a haul bag (maybe not as tough, but the principle is very similar).
 RobOggie 02 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

For days at a Crag, I have an Osprey Variant 52, plenty of room for rope, rack, harness, helmet, chalk bag and shoes, plus spare room for food and drink and plenty of external storage space and pockets.
I tend to use a Moon Voyager for indoor/sport climbing as its just a bit easier than carrying a full rucksack, but it has room for rope, shoes, harness, 10 quickdraws and a few other bits
OP gd303uk 03 Jul 2015
In reply to David Staples:

if i get my wife one of those Gucci snake skin bags, she might let me buy some Arcteryx kit

OP gd303uk 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

i agree, i have a mix of lazy friends ( Dunc ) who carry as little as possible and always says their 25l bag is full blah blah blah, and a lovely wife who will go climbing with me but will not carry any kit , i know it keeps me thin. maybe i should get her a Gucci snake skin rucksack from the link above , i bet she would have no difficulty lugging that around
OP gd303uk 03 Jul 2015
In reply to PPP:

Cheers mate, i will check those recommendations out, i might get a LOMO dry bag for days on the water , they look good.
OP gd303uk 03 Jul 2015
In reply to RobOggie:

thanks Mate,
this thread has shown me some brilliant bags, it has made my choice more difficult but shown me designs i didn't know about.
thanks everybody .
x
 nawface 03 Jul 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-packs/creek-50-pack-BD681160BL...

I have this. It's great. It's huge so no worries about carrying whatever I want. It's tank like tough so will go on for years.
OP gd303uk 03 Jul 2015
In reply to nawface:

cheers mate, this bag has been pointed out to me a few times, i do like the toughness of this,
and the size would be ample, ( although i have learnt that if i take a big bag it usually gets filled, i am afraid i will end up carrying more 0
this and a few other black diamond bags need a good look at.
i like the new softkit BD have been making lately.

youtube.com/watch?v=uY7tYUlXm-A&
 andrewmc 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Dave Ferguson:
> Why?

> Your partner should be carrying one of the ropes and half the rack

> any small 25L sack will do, you're carrying too much!

Quite often one of us is carrying both half ropes and the other is carrying the 100m ab rope (OK so a little overkill, only really need ~50m, but like the security of two strands)...

The answer is to get two seconds and get them to carry it all, but sometimes it doesn't seem to work out like that!

I usually end up carrying (for cragging where I bring everything including the kitchen sink) ~5kg rack, one of the half ropes, 1kg FA kit (can never be bothered to take it apart), 1.5kg drink, lunch, ~400g waterproofs, various jackets (it gets cold in the wind on sea cliffs), guide book(s), and obviously shoes, harness, sometimes chalk bag, helmet... I should really get better at offloading kit :P and just about squeeze it all (sort of, rope on the outside) into a 45l Montane Torque.

I only took 8 quickdraws up Tryfan the other day, and even that is a bit excessive, but wouldn't like to try it on a 40m Baggy pitch. I used all 17 draws the other day (using draws only for nuts) and had to build the belay with the crabs on my hexes...
Post edited at 12:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...