UKC

Trail running routes in Iceland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 10 Jul 2015
I'm heading to Iceland for a week at the beginning of August. Flying to Akureyri then renting a car and going to pootle around northeast, then head south and back round to Reykjavik. I'll be taking my trail shoes with me and be keen to get some runs in too - just wondered if anyone knew of anywhere worth checking out.
 martin.p65 10 Jul 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

I'm flying out on 20th and will be studying in Iceland until the end of May.

Although I cannot be of use to you, I'd be interested on what you find
 Solaris 11 Jul 2015

> ... just wondered if anyone knew of anywhere worth checking out.

Everywhere!

But be prepared for sand, wind and rain – and snow if you're in the Highlands. *The* classic run is the Laugavegur.

No need to carry a head torch, though! And whilst there are good (and bad!) 4WD tracks, away from them and from popular footpaths, there'll be nothing much at all except sheep tracks, if you're lucky. Useable sketch maps are quite widely available in hotel lobbies, etc.
OP yorkshireman 10 Aug 2015
In reply to martin.p65:

> I'm flying out on 20th and will be studying in Iceland until the end of May.

> Although I cannot be of use to you, I'd be interested on what you find

Where are you going to be? I guess Reykjavik and SW? We didn't really do that area - wherever you are though you will be spoilt so enjoy!

The running was quite fun although I didn't do as much a I really wanted. The trip was pretty exhausting anyway. If its useful here a a couple of the runs I did.

North - Sigulfjordour - https://www.strava.com/activities/360138820
Nice setting - ran at about 8am and the locals were still partying hard in their back gardens (it was Commerce day bank holiday, and they had a local herring festival the night before) - a few trails up above the town near the avalanche defences but much of it off limits because of ongoing construction work. Further inland there were lots of horse tracks but I didn't have time to explore too much.

Northeast - Seyðisfjordur - https://www.strava.com/activities/360997617
A beautiful location and pretty town - coastal run accessible by dirt road only - howling storm and ludicrous amounts of rain but good fun. We passed a stranded 4x4 up to its wing mirrors trying to ford a river - search and rescue were on the scene already but brought home how harsh the elements can be even in August. Our Toyotal Corrolla rental did us proud getting us back on roads which I'm sure probably invalidated our insurance

Golden Circle, Southeast (Laugarvatn) - https://www.strava.com/activities/363610316
We stopped at the geothermal lake to use the pools, but I spied a random mountain on the other side of town to found a trail up it - not very well used, very red, sandy and volcanic with moss and lichen everywhere - no obvious route down so came back the same way. Great view and very warm and sunny (but windy day).

I would have liked to have run down around Hofn and the Vatnajokull glacier but didn't have time (we hiked anyway) and also up around Myrvatn in the north but again we were pushed for time.
 martin.p65 10 Aug 2015

Aye, I'll be in Reykjavik but hope to get out into the wilderness regularly.

Your pictures look good and I feel inspired! Thanks for posting your experiences.

I hope to get out and appreciate some non-touristy scenery.
 elsewhere 10 Aug 2015
In reply to martin.p65:
The tourist sights are great (geysir, gullfoss, Þingvellir National Park & Blue Lagoon).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...