UKC

Specialized bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 10 Aug 2015
After replacement for my old tricross commute bike. So first stop has been my local Specialized store. Have to say I'm not overly impressed. Nice looking bikes but not particularly well specced compared to components on similar bikes in the same price bracket. Anyone else found the same?
 Indy 10 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

I asked a similar question recently after liking the look of one of their bikes. Not bought it yet for the reasons you state.
 Phil79 10 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Yep correct. You are paying for the name and hopefully the shop/brand back up on servicing and problems, but compared with some not great value for money. Wait for the September sales for a bargain.

They are reasonable bikes in my limited experience, I have a 5 year old Allez which is still going strong after year round riding and winter commuting, although I had to replace the cheap cup and cone wheels after 2 years, and various drive chain bits.

More recently I've brought a Pinnacle Arkose as an 'all rounder' winter/cyclocross/commuter/off road bike and its great. I'd definitely recommend that.
In reply to Phil79:

I agree with the Pinnacle Arkose, better spec than others at same price. Currently got a sore arse from 20 miles on it today!
 Phil79 10 Aug 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Yeah, mine gets a regular 20 mile round commute, plus weekend rides across various rocky bits of Dartmoor where usually I'd want an MTB. Brilliant fun and bomb proof so far.

Which version have you got?
In reply to Phil79:

Arkose II, two years old, the black one, Tiagra setup.
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2015
Hadn't considered one of those before, will have to look into them
Considering a Fuji bike, full carbon and 105 and still less than a Specialized (2015 sale model obviously)

andymac 10 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

> After replacement for my old tricross commute bike. So first stop has been my local Specialized store. Have to say I'm not overly impressed. Nice looking bikes but not particularly well specced compared to components on similar bikes in the same price bracket. Anyone else found the same?

The specs are quite poor.

Not even guaranteed to get Ultegra on a £3 grand bike ,which is poor.

Used to get their catalogue just to perv at the S-Works road bikes .was a noticeable down spec in 2013/2014.

I've got a Scott !which hav a rep for being overpriced.still more value than a Specialized.
 Greasy Prusiks 10 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Yeah there specs are poor. Try ribble you may not have heard of them?
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
Sadly they don't do a cx commute type machine.

andy 10 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:
I'm a great fan of Rose:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/cross-bike/pro-dx-cross/

£900 for a disc equipped 105, then £1350 for what seems like the bargain of the year - 11sp Ultegra and hydraulic discs.

I've got the Di2 version - decent alu frame, UDi2, DT Swiss wheels, hydraulic brakes - £1900.

Had a carbon road bike from them and they replaced the frame free of charge when it was about 2 1/2 years old when I found a crack near the bottom bracket (which can't have had anything to do with my vigorous attempts to get a BB30 bracket out without the correct tools...).
Post edited at 20:19

You got a sore arse from riding 20 miles...? Something wrong there, shurely...?
 Greasy Prusiks 10 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Yeah you're right. Sorry only skimmed your OP.
 The New NickB 10 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Dolan do though! Currently doing a 105 equipped CX bike for £800.
OP the sheep 10 Aug 2015
In reply to The New NickB:
Ooh, got a link?

Phil79 11 Aug 2015
In reply to andy:

No disc brakes on the Dolan though, I'd say they are almost a 'must have' on a bike that's to be used as a commuter these days, especially if you are riding in the winter.

£850 for the Arkose 3 will get you a 105 groupset and bb7 cable discs.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-three-2015-adventure-ro...
 The New NickB 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Phil79:

I've got no beef with disc brakes, but suggest they are a must on a commuter seems a bit odd to me.
 Phil79 11 Aug 2015
In reply to andy:

Those Rose bikes look outstanding value though.
 Phil79 11 Aug 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> I've got no beef with disc brakes, but suggest they are a must on a commuter seems a bit odd to me.

Not to me. Having spent 5 years commuting on my road bike through sodden winters on some pretty shit road surfaces, to now be able to actually stop and control my speed downhill in the wet with disc brakes is fantastic, and something I'd not want to go back on.
 IMA 11 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Yep Specialized and many others feel like less bang for buck when you look at the components. Interestingly when Ribble and Dolan are mentioned, you could argue similar but just a different price bracket. It used to be, and could still be, the case that several brands such as Dolan bought open mould (or purchased from a mould rather than their own) then painted it and marked up the price.

Now I would like to say that I don't think either have bad bikes and people tend to be happy with them (only negative I know is that Ribble service can be hit and miss).

Back on your CX, try Giant? tend to do well for price/spec
Merida 500?

Both of those brands have large chunks of the market (Giant by far the biggest)

CAADX from Cannondale?
 gethin_allen 11 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Specialized do seem to be relying on their brand to shift poorly speced bikes these days.

Try planet x if you are looking for value for money.
Rigid Raider 11 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

I've had a Specialized Rockhopper, got a Tricross, had a 2006 Roubaix and now my son and I have a 2013 Roubaix and a 2014 Roubaix SL4. Each is genuinely better than its predecessor and the improvement in handling and ride quality going from the 2006 Roubaix to the 2013 and then the 2014 SL4 tells me that Specialized are right up there at the front in learning how to do carbon layup. Specialized are sometimes derided as the "Tesco" of bike manufacturers but I like their bikes and the service I've had from their dealers and Concept Stores. They aren't cheap but they compare on specification with other high-end brands and you will always get a 10% to 12.5% discount from a dealer or Concept Store if you ask. I feel comfortable with the warranty and after-sales service form a big manufacturer even if they did goof over the Roubaix name.

By contrast I'm suspicious that a lot of discount bikes are actually "open mould" and not proprietary frames. I've test-ridden one expensive boutique bike from a local, er, boutique and wasn't very impressed with the frame or the handling and reckoned it was just a Taiwanese open mould frame with a fancy paint job.

I bought my original Specialized Rockhopper full rigid mountain bike in 1989 because I just loved the name. I still do and I love the kit they make as well; their Body Geometry shoes, gloves etc. are well-made and comfortable and seem to be cited often in tests as the gold standard in performance. Their Concept Stores do understand service and always do a basic bike fit to ensure the bike is well set up, as well as swopping stuff like bar tape, saddles, stems and tyres for you.

Martin W 11 Aug 2015
In reply to IMA:

> Yep Specialized and many others feel like less bang for buck when you look at the components.

I remember in the not so dim and distant past the general advice was not to worry too much about the components, since they can always be upgraded if you want, or when they wear out. One was advised to focus on the quality and fit of the frame instead. Was that always debatable advice, or has something changed to make it less appropriate these days?
 JamButty 11 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

Agree completely, I had a second hand Allez that I loved, so when I was looking for a new bike I went straight to Specialized, but quickly realised there was more for your money out there.
Ended up with a Felt, which I love - RRP 1100, got it for 750, so there are plenty of bargains at the right time of year.
 gethin_allen 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Martin W:

" Was that always debatable advice, or has something changed to make it less appropriate these days?"

Fit is always going to be important, more so on a road bike than a MTB in my opinion as on a MTB you are almost constantly moving around the bike rather than sitting in one position for a long time so as long as things are close you're ok.

The cost of a good road group set of a MTB suspension fork can be as much as the frame.
For most mortals buying a bike is always going to be a compromise and you'll often get a cheepo make do part thrown in to compensate for another more bling part; like the wheels on my rod bike which are terrible and click and pop on every ride.

IMA 11 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:

I'd agree with regards to the style of frame. e.g. a relaxed frame such as a synapse or roubaix or a sprinters frame such as a venge. Some bikes which are the relaxed end of the brand are still aggressive (the Bianchi Oltre XR and its sister frame whose name escapes me)

A frame has to fit which is a size thing which can alter between brands, how aggressive a position you want, but this can be adjusted to a point by the stem, saddle height/sit back etc.
I'd be concerned about the geometry . I think most of the main brands all provide a quality frame as long as you ignore the 1/10,000 production problem (random number). I admit I bought my Tarmac frame only for a project and because bang for buck I could work out a better spec.

A CX will feel relaxed if you ride a venge (my CX (Giant) is a 54 equiv frame, my Tarmac is a 52 and they are set up so differently never mind frame geo)

Components can be upgraded but it is an expense so why not try for bang for buck to start (IMO 105 11 speed is where bang for buck stops). Wheels are always a point of upgrade.
 Indy 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Martin W:

> I remember in the not so dim and distant past the general advice was not to worry too much about the components, since they can always be upgraded if you want, or when they wear out. One was advised to focus on the quality and fit of the frame instead. Was that always debatable advice, or has something changed to make it less appropriate these days?

Doing the costs inc. fitting and its just not worth it. if you want 105/Ultegra/Durace then get it to start with.
 Indy 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> you will always get a 10% to 12.5% discount from a dealer or Concept Store if you ask.

Not my experience at all. Was looking to buy a Roubaix SL4 Pro Disc Race DI2 earlier this year and went from pillar to post inc. 5 dealers and 2 concept stores and nobody would give me so much as a penny of . I'm now happy to wait for the greater crop of disc based 2016 models from no doubt another manufacturer.
OP the sheep 11 Aug 2015
In reply to Indy:
Having been to my local Spec dealer and branch of Evans I can only conclude trade must be amazing. So little interest in selling a bike.

Indy 11 Aug 2015
In reply to the sheep:
I got the impression that they (the dealers especially) were pretty desperate for my business but that giving a discount would cause them serious trouble with Specialized.

Got an email recently offering a 15% discount but I'm happy to keep my CC in my wallet. They do it because they get away with it.
Post edited at 19:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...