UKC

Climber's Shoulder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Donald82 23 Aug 2015
Why does climbing pull your shoulders forward?

I thought pushing/front exercises pulled them forward, and pulling/back, like climbing, pulled them back.
 MrJared 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Donald82:

Climbing makes your back muscles bigger. Hence pushing your shoulders forward.
 koalapie 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Donald82:

Functionally they both do. The dominant power muscles of the shoulders (Pecs and Lats) both internally rotate and adduct the humerus bone which subsequently pulls the scapula forward as it has no true articulation at the back. It's a path of least resistance thing.
Donald82 24 Aug 2015
In reply to koalapie:

Right, so either imbalance makes your shoulders go forward?
 oliverk 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Donald82:

I've been trying to fix the issue on myself, the advice I got from the physio agrees with what koalapie said above. My strategy is to stretch the pecs and lats most days and also doing seated cable rows.
 Shani 25 Aug 2015
In reply to oliverk:

For shoulder girdle health try handstands and mannas. They're favoured in this capacity by several elite gymnastics coaches.
 koalapie 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Donald82:

> Right, so either imbalance makes your shoulders go forward?

Correct. That's why it's useful to do stretching of pecs and lats as suggested above. Also strengthening the scapula retractors and depressors and the rotor cuff.
Donald82 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Shani:

possibly more use for elite gymnasts!
Donald82 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Donald82:

Thanks all
 Shani 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Donald82:

> possibly more use for elite gymnasts!

Nah - On occasion I can hold a pretty perfect free-standing handstand for well over 10s, and I didn't start doing them until my mid 30s. Mannas are harder but you can work through easier progressions (see the Gymnastic Bodies website).
 Wsdconst 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Donald82:

I'm trying to find a solution too,stretching the pecs really helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...