UKC

Climbing Wall Bucket List

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MaranaF 01 Sep 2015
Fellow Climbers I welcome your contribution;

My wife and I are planning our 5th wedding anniversary; a week of climbing walls [not bouldering] across the country in October, we plan on visiting some of the best walls the country has to offer and staying in some nice hotels.

We are building a list that will include both large and small venues but each of them should have something outstanding. Reading is on our list as is the one in the Lakes that has an ice wall [need to find the name].

What wall is on your bucket list?
Removed User 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

I would say Eica at Ratho near Edinburgh should be on there. I've just cone back from a fantastic weekend there, there's easily enough to keep you going for a weekend, it's high and the routes seemed well set.
I'd also recommend MCC at Manchester, built into an old church it's quite atmospheric.
You should do the Foundry in Sheffield, and possibly Awesome Walls in Sheffield too, again high and with a good selection of routes.
Just my opinion, good luck.
 snoop6060 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

Sunderland wall is big and good. Newcastle wall goes across the roof so is quite unique.

Go to Austria tho, they have some crazy walls. Ditto that monster thing in holland. The excaliber tower: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1827

Also, maybe that dam in switza land, surely the biggest climbing wall in the world: Luzzone Dam (Diga di Luzzone) (6a+)
 goose299 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

You're thinking of King Kong wall at Keswick

I wound't miss the Kendal wall too. And the bonus is they're right near each other
 Dave Garnett 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

> What wall is on your bucket list?

I'm sorry, I enjoy indoor climbing but the idea of planning to spend a week travelling round Britain just visiting climbing walls strikes me as bizarre (let alone doing it to celebrate your wedding anniversary!). I have a sizeable bucket list of routes and crags, but none of them is indoors.

Still, each to their own - enjoy!

I makes me wonder whether some specific indoor routes are really outstanding enough to be worth a special visit. If so, should such classics be preserved? Would an exact reproduction elsewhere have the same kudos, or would only the original have the provenance to be really authentic?
 Paul16 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

Rope Race in Marple (near Manchester) - the feature wall with the pea pod is great fun and massive. It's also one of the few remaining family owned walls and as such has a great inclusive atmosphere. Think I'm right in saying it was the 2nd UK indoor wall after The Foundry. I am a bit biased as it's my local wall but it's a great place.

Ratho is a must too although it's bloody cold!
OP MaranaF 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Aww Dave thanks for your contribution. Frankly I dont have a single UK route on my list, enturely due to the weather.

All my buclet list rock is outside of the UK and is chosen because it is warm and dry [or cold and ice]. As neither are available in the UK in October I will be climbing indoors.

The alternative; sheltering under a rock, cold and wet, waiting for a break in the weather so I can bail out and dry my gear... well your welcome to it.
 neilh 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:
English phrase of " Indian Summer" springs to mind, you maybe surprised how pleasant the weather is in October.

Anyway your bucket list - do you want historical walls or those which are current state of the art? Do you want major city's or those near climbing areas?

gave us some more info.
 Bulls Crack 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

I'd put all the walls in a bucket leave it at home and pick a nice weekend in October to climb outside! It can be one of the best months for grit edges or sunny sea cliffs or sunny sport cliffs for that matter.
 planetmarshall 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

> The alternative; sheltering under a rock, cold and wet, waiting for a break in the weather so I can bail out and dry my gear... well your welcome to it.

Sounds like Ratho.

Offwidth 01 Sep 2015
In reply to PWarren:

Hardly, since The Foundry was a long distance from being the first (but was a massive step forward in quality).

A climbing wall holiday sounds bizzarre but for a change in the UK at least you can guarentee the weather.
 deepsoup 01 Sep 2015
In reply to neilh:
> Anyway your bucket list - do you want historical walls or those which are current state of the art? Do you want major city's or those near climbing areas?

You can do all of that (ok, the "major city" bit is a stretch) with a visit to Sheffield: Foundry, AW and the Works. And who knows, if the sun comes out maybe even slum it a bit by nipping out to Stanage. ;O)
 johncook 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF: Two to add;
Awesome Walls Sheffield. Is as the name describes!
Wirksworth Leisure Centre Wall. A small wall with brilliant routes set by real dedicated local climbers located in the Peak district, and not far from spectacular high tor and other great crags..

Offwidth 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

You should try some of the trad venues, you may be surprised. Many can be near their best in October and shivering under cold wet rocks is hardly normal and if the weather does get that bad, most of us go indoors.
 Mark Kemball 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

It's small and quirky, but my local wall, The Barn http://www.barnclimbingwall.co.uk/index.php is well worth a visit.
 MischaHY 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

For the kind of money it'll cost to travel around and stay in hotels and pay your way into different walls you could happily be in Spain climbing golden limestone in 25 degree sunshine. I love climbing gyms but seriously, there's so much more to be had!
OP MaranaF 01 Sep 2015
In reply to all those who say we should be climbing outside, cant understand, should be in spain etc you are all right.

If I could I would be in the Alpes but I cant and have little or no flexibility on my time so to guarantee we get some climbing in and that we don’t spend the week dodging the weather we have decided an indoor week can be fun if we choose the right venues.

Sounds like Sheffield should be on our list and King Kong wall at Keswick, Thanks for your help so far!
OP MaranaF 01 Sep 2015
In reply to snoop6060:

I think that thing in Holand is the tallest purpose made climbing wall? I climbed this French one a few times, its off the road between Briancon and Grenoble up to Vujanay where some friends live so I usually stopped there for a climb, its 33m tall and was once the tallest in the world im told. now its the second tallest to the one in Holland? The wall at Allemond - Allemond

I dont know about the dam, at 185m it sounds like I have to add it to my list!

Thanks for your thoughts snoop
Wiley Coyote2 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

At the risk of lowering the tone......a planned climbing holiday on indoor walls sounds a bit like a honeymoon with a blow-up doll
In reply to MaranaF:

The Reach in London has a nice atmosphere and interesting routes, and you could catch a show afterwards.
Obviously lots of nice hotels too.
 Trangia 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

Well if you are down south, then The Reach, White Spider and The Castle - all in Greater London ought to be on your list.

I wouldn't bother with K2 at Crawley, but the wall at Withdean, Brighton is worth a visit.
 edunn 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Second The Castle in London. It's built in an old folly pumping station and the cafe has a great selection of food made from its own allotment on-site. The routes are hard and it has a really nice vibe.

As for accommodation, you could stay down the road in Crouch End (nice restaurants etc), or near Kings Cross station, which has recently had a bit of a re-vamp. If you stay near KX, eat at either Caravan or The Grain Store.

Congrats and enjoy!!
 Morgan Woods 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

yeah nobody has climbed outdoors in the UK in October ever!
 deacondeacon 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:
The outside wall at the Westway is pretty unique, and really cool. Big and overhanging or an easy slab depending which side you climb, and you end up high in the air, in the middle I the a404(m) or whatever it's called, eye level with the cars.
If you like bouldering you can't really miss out The Works, possibly the best bouldering wall in the country and you're pretty much guaranteed to see some famous faces.
 Owen W-G 01 Sep 2015
What a maddening post! A trip to Sheffield to climb indoors when October is arguably the best month to climb on grit?
In reply to MaranaF:

EICA Ratho (obviously). But maybe also the Ice Factor in Kinlochleven, for the setting and the huge ice climbing fridge.

OP MaranaF 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

I'll let you in on a secret, I prefer granite.
Andy Gamisou 01 Sep 2015
In reply to johncook:

> Wirksworth Leisure Centre Wall. A small wall with brilliant routes set by real dedicated local climbers located in the Peak district, and not far from spectacular high tor and other great crags..

You are of course being ironic.

Mark Kemball 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

Granite, West Cornwall can be superb in October.
OP MaranaF 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Yes! did some Dartmoor tors a few weeks ago with my son, was abit windy but great climbing. [bouldering]
In reply to MaranaF:

I've visited walls all over the country including Ratho, Kendal et etc and I can't say any of the trips were memorable whereas the memories I have of days in Cornwall, Gogarth, the Lakes, Peak gritstone , limestone, The Pass, Skye and Torridon will be with me forever. A week visiting climbing walls - a bit like a week scuba diving in swimming pools - odd, very odd.
 Chris H 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

Its a novel idea but you are likely to get RSI from filling in a form at each wall plus being subjected to a range of belay tests!
 Mark Kemball 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

> Yes! did some Dartmoor tors a few weeks ago...

I was thinking more like Bosigran, Sennen, Land's End, Chair Ladder etc. Lots to do if you've not been there before, quite different from Dartmoor.
In reply to MaranaF:

In terms of route setting, Foundry in Sheffield is among the best I've come across. Although you're not targeting bouldering, The Wave bouldering wall at the Foundry is viewed by many as the definitive item.
While you're in Sheffield, it would be a shame not to take in the ClimbingWorks at least for one session, which again has the best set circuits I've come across.
As a left field option, if you head out towards N Wales (unlikely in this trip but worth remembering), the Boardroom nr Queensferry is often set by Ian Vickers, so top notch routes and a humongous Psicobloc.
 Steve nevers 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

If you are going through with this rather bizarre plan, The Boardroom has an indoor 'DWS' wall over a foam pit. Bit different.

Have to admit i'm part of the camp that finds your attitude to UK climbing rather odd, but have fun anyway. Just remember that onsights indoors are worth pish.
In reply to MaranaF:

Must visit walls in UK, if you're doing an indoor wall road trip...
EICA (Ratho, Edinburgh)
Kendal Wall
Foundry (Sheffield)
AW Sheffield (& Stockport)
MCC (Manchester)
The Castle (London)
WestWay (London)

Have fun, and keep us posted
 neilh 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Butterfly with a Bomb:

Good list.
In reply to goose299:

> You're thinking of King Kong wall at Keswick

> I wound't miss the Kendal wall too. And the bonus is they're right near each other

About 45 minutes away from each other!
 CosmicHobo 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

Definitely head to Warrington north west face. Best routes in the country from my experience, if a little stiffly graded.
 Jon Stewart 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

So, so weird.

A bit like asking, which is the most delicious supermarket own brand Frosties, or what's the best bus station to spend 2 hours waiting in, or which is the most satisfying version of Windows to reinstall...
 kevin stephens 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:
I'm amazed I'm the only one to cry TROLL on this thread!
Well played, especially with so many posters all to willing to cry Troll on no end of serious and genuine questions.
I hope the OP enjoys a great wedding anniversary amongst the classic crags, hotels and restaurants near his home in France
OP MaranaF 01 Sep 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:

shhh Kevin, Im in East Anglia at the moment, dont tell anyone
OP MaranaF 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

No idea about Windows [Mac user here] or bus stations but own brand Frosties I am an expert on, after much testing I go for Tesco now.
 Otis 01 Sep 2015
In reply to CosmicHobo:

> Definitely head to Warrington north west face. Best routes in the country from my experience, if a little stiffly graded.

Is that why they only reset them once every 6 months or so? Can't say I'd personally rate Warrington particularly highly if you've got the whole of the UK to aim at, but each to their own and all that

If the OP is going for a week then I'd definitely recommend taking a look at the boardroom. It's a great place, with a great atmosphere and, with the psicoblock, is one of the few walls around that offers something totally unique (pretty important if you're pulling plastic for a full week I would have thought?).
 Garston 01 Sep 2015
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

I second my local wall, the Boardroom in Queensferry, North Wales, Great route setting and the Psicobloc is very silly!
 Jon Stewart 01 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

> own brand Frosties I am an expert on, after much testing I go for Tesco now.

Will they be your final meal, after you've been to the bucket-list climbing wall?
 Mr Trebus 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Chris H:

> Its a novel idea but you are likely to get RSI from filling in a form at each wall plus being subjected to a range of belay tests!

I think the real test is spotting the single no on the form.
OP MaranaF 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:

Its a good idea to remember your reading glasses.
 kylo-342 02 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

1) The Castle: London
2) Ratho: Edinburgh
3) Kendal Wall: Lake District
4) Foundry: Sheffield
5) Beacon: Caernarfon, North Wales

In reply to Garston:

> I second my local wall, the Boardroom in Queensferry, North Wales, Great route setting and the Psicobloc is very silly!

I'm looking out at it hoying it down with rain at the moment in Betws y Coed, so a quick blast over to the Boardroom is looking more and more attractive. Looking at the forecast, I think we might keep going then back home to the Peak, and a trip into the ClimbingWorks. Seems like the OP isn't so outlandish after all.
cb294 02 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:

Lezecke Centrum Smichoff (or something like it...), biggest climbing wall in Prague is well worth a visit if you ever happen to visit the Czech republic.

CB
 CosmicHobo 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Otis:

I said they were the best routes, not that they changed them every week. For me, they are the most accurate to outdoor routes on both top rope and lead, and it the only place I've climbed where i have enjoyed every route I've done. Plus, if you're only going once what difference does it make if the route was set yesterday or a month ago?
DiscoBoy 08 Sep 2015
In reply to MaranaF:
I'll add yet another vote for the Boardroom. It is probably my favourite wall (of the ~10 I have been to).

Also worth a mention are: Reading, Big Rock (MK), The Climbing Hangar (Liverpool- bouldering only), Awesome Walls (Liverpool - big lead tower, and cool faux rock area).
Post edited at 17:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...