UKC

Moving well on broken ground

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 downsouth 07 Sep 2015
Hi, I am coming back to climbing after a major accident and whilst ok on technical rock climbs am finding that my balance, coordination and confidence is shaky on shallow and broken ground and in "trusting my feet" generally. I am very tentative on any kind of descent also. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve on broken ground and to improve balance, coordination and confidence generally including generally trusting my feet. I live in the South of England and would like to walk for miles on broken ground - if there is such a place- to help improve. Does anyone know of a location (nearest to the South if possible although realise it might not be) where I could go and practice. Many thanks for your help.
 nniff 07 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

Get some walking poles and try the Surrey hills, avoiding the main paths. Any amount of sharp up and down hill, but no rocks. Happens to be pretty at this time of year too. Try Leith hill and bring some change for the tea shop in the tower at weekends
 Timmd 07 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:
How are you with hopping and switching feet mid hop and changing direction, and aiming to jump on a small spot on the ground (with one foot) a few feet ahead of you?

I can't think of anywhere near the south, but getting to know and be comfortable with how you move is probably part of trusting your feet, and doing any kind of climbing or scrambling could help too.

Good luck/enjoy the process of becoming confident again.

Edit: Could you go to one of the rocky coast lines to find ground similar to what you want to be comfortable on? It probably wouldn't take long to get your mind and body dialled in again.

It's just occurred to me that since I started climbing in my teens I occasionally stand about four feet away from my childhood back doorstep before jumping to land on it with one foot, it's probably my inner child or something, but it's perhaps the kind of thing which could translate to rocky and broken ground?
Post edited at 14:44
 More-On 07 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:
As you are in the 'south' how about finding a rocky beach and just exploring?

Edit: Great minds and all that...
Post edited at 14:40
 Dandan 07 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:
Get yourself to Portland and do any or all of the walk-ins to the West coast crags, they have a variety of steep descents and all sorts of terrain, plus they all link together in a long line so you can walk from Blacknor North to Battleship or possibly even as far as Wallsend without ever getting on the cliff-top path. If that isn't enough for you, get down to the shore and you can boulder-hop all day long.
Post edited at 14:40
In reply to Dandan:

> If that isn't enough for you, get down to the shore and you can boulder-hop all day long.

And end up with knees and shins and ankles that look like they've been attacked with sand paper. But it's worth it!
ceri 07 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

Could you do excercises at home to improve your balance and coordination? Get a wobble board, hop up and down the stairs, standing on one leg leg bends to improve strength and balance, standing on one leg with your eyes shut, balance along the edge of the kerb, or fallen trees or things like that (maybe when noones looking!)
 Mark Haward 07 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

Whereabouts in the South?
Dartmoor abounds with rocky tors / slopes that are great for developing balance / scramble / down climbing skills. HoundTor and Greator are especially fun!
OP downsouth 07 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I can see that the issue is going to need a holistic attack both at home and on rocky beaches. I like the idea of miles of rocky beach at Portland. I will definitely check this out. It is very disconcerting to somehow lose this ability and not know whether it is a physical or mental block.
OP downsouth 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Mark Haward:

Hi, I am in the New Forest.
 Greasy Prusiks 07 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

You've probably heard this already but on rough terrain it's faster and easier to place your feet high but safer to place them at low points. For example on a beach the easiest way of moving is to step on the tops of any rocks but to build your confidence maybe place your feet bettween rocks.
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

That's a very odd recommendation. I think that to build confidence it's essential to learn to move on the tops of the rocks - mostly because it will improve your balance.

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Yeah I see your point. Walking on the tops is the way to improve ballance, I was looking for ways to build up confidence.
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Nothing will improve your confidence more than improving your balance.
 Ann S 07 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

Coming in from left field here as I don't know your area, but if you can't find much in the way of broken descending ground, think about walking through dense woodland off obvious paths across terrain with plenty of wind blown lying trees. You'll have to deal with obstacles of different height and some will be slippery and none of it easy. Just don't get lost. Good luck.

Yes, I agree. Just trying to think of interim steps the OP could use to build to that if it's feeling intimidating at the moment.
OP downsouth 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ann S:

That's a great idea Ann. There are places like this in abundance in the New Forest. I will definitely try this on basis of more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks again. Corinne
OP downsouth 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks Timmd. I will give the exercises a try. The more angles I attack it from the better and saves boredom as well.
OP downsouth 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Dandan:

Thanks very much for this. It isn't that far from me (1/1.5 hours). Not knowing the area - climbed there once at the Cuttings with someone else driving - could you let me know where I should head to best to park and then head down to find all these boulders I can hop on all day -sounds ideal and well worth the journey! Many thanks, Corinne
OP downsouth 11 Sep 2015

I didn't actuallyknow this although am embarrassed to say as seems blindingly obvious now. I will try a bit of both, the tops to refine balance but start with in between until I get a bit of confidence. Thanks a lot.
 Trangia 11 Sep 2015
In reply to More-On:

> As you are in the 'south' how about finding a rocky beach and just exploring?

>

Good advice.

To the OP. I live at Hastings and a really good walk to improve your confidence is to follow the "beach" below the cliffs from Rock o nor, Hastings Old Town to Pett Level. It's a mixture of boulders, rocks and shingle and takes about 3 hours.

It is tidal so you need to chose your tides right as there is only one escape about half way along. You are also asked to inform Dover Coastguard when you start and finish. It's sensible to do it with at least one other person.

Return by bus (hourly) or walk back over the Fire Hills.

Another good walk is below the Beachy Head/Belle Tout cliffs from Birling Gap to Eastbourne. Again it's vital to get your tides right (no escape routes) and ideally notify Dover Coastguard. Again a mixture of boulders and shingle. Be careful of slippery weed covered boulders particularly near Beachy Head lighthouse so probably best to avoid doing it in rain or immediately after high tide. Also you need to judge the tides so that you can keep well out from the base of the cliffs as there are muppets who throw stones over them. Again sensible to do it in company.

There are buses, but I've never used them preferring to walk back over Beachy Head.

Dandan 11 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

Get yourself a portland guide book, it will come in handy in the long term anyway, and it has descriptions of the best places to park. Try Reap lane for free parking, it's 5 minutes from the southern battleship walk in (the northern one isn't there any more)
 CurlyStevo 11 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

In the south you can walk along the actual beaches at low tide for practice on rough ground. A good one is 7 sisters for example ( http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/seven_sisters_flint_band2.jpg ) , walk along the top one way and back along the bottom the other. You can also get a lot of practice walking up and down around the fulking hill area area on the north side of the south downs close to fulking ( http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/19/67/1196703_f805cf87.jpg ), its pretty steep and there are small paths that zig zag back and forth up and down it. Its not hard to get a 1000 metres of ascent and descent in this area if you plan well.
 CurlyStevo 11 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

Swanage area has loads of good coastal walking on fairly rough undulating paths and plenty of rocky beaches to explore.
 scott titt 11 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:
Here is some detail on Curly Stevo's suggestion
Swanage/Purbeck has lots to offer and is pretty close to the Forest.
In ascending order of difficulty
Kimmeridge- walk East from the slipway along the shore as far as time and tide will allow- nice flat rocks to jump from and to.
Durlston Bay-from Peveril Point if the tide allows, or from the Zig Zag path (off Belle Vue Rd) south along the rocky beach until a rope up a fishermen's path is reached.
St Aldhelm's Head- go to the head, down the descent path (with the cables) and go west to Chapmans Pool- brutal, allow about 3 hours for the under 2 kilometre walk, take lots of water and gaiters! Or just go to Chapmans Pool and walk along the shore in either direction, west is really nice and quite easy.
 CurlyStevo 11 Sep 2015
In reply to scott titt:

Its a lot prettier than Portland also IMO
 radddogg 11 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

Dancing would help your core strength as well as balance. Maybe take up Zumba or get on the Xbox Kinect? Might have some fun too!
 Ann S 11 Sep 2015
In reply to corinne:

You're welcome. Get strong soon.
OP downsouth 21 Sep 2015
In reply to scott titt:

thanks very much Scott. I have done some of the Coast Path there. Didn't think of additional possibilities down on the beaches.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...