UKC

Kalymnos - 3G mobile signal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
HippyChippy 13 Sep 2015
Hi Folks.

It's my first time at Kalymnos next week and I'm looking for advice on mobile phone coverage; Is there 3G/ data to be had at the crags when away from hotel wifi please?

(I'm on a UK O2 sim and was planning to use their £1.99 per day deal for roaming abroad).

Thanks.
 KTC 13 Sep 2015
In reply to HippyChippy:

I'm sat on a beach in kalymnos right now. 3g signal isn't bad at all, on most crags I think I've had some data if needed.

You know the new app downloads the maps first and doesn't need data when you're actually there?
 radddogg 13 Sep 2015
In reply to KTC:

What app? Rockfax?
In reply to radddogg:

Kalymnos too from the Send.
 KTC 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Christheclimber:

Topo.
HippyChippy 10 Oct 2015
In reply to HippyChippy:

> Hi Folks.

> It's my first time at Kalymnos next week and I'm looking for advice on mobile phone coverage; Is there 3G/ data to be had at the crags when away from hotel wifi please?

Well I'm back to answer my own question and offer a few tips.

Thanks KTC. Yes 3G is also available at the crags but coverage is by no means 100% away from (or even in) the urban centres.

Most cafes, bars, and apartments offer free (but not the fastest) wifi so I found WhatsApp really useful for keeping in touch with others in the group, especially the ability to make free phone calls over wifi. "We're in the Climbers' Bar... where are you"?

If you're heading for Sykati Cave your phone will automatically connect to the nearest (non-EU) Turkish mobile provider so you may want to turn off data and roaming at the very least.

My experience of using the O2 data offer (details on the back of the EasyJet seats) was very positive. It cost £1.99 per day to use your regular UK data allowance at no extra cost, so my phone was 'full on everything' for the duration; I incurred a charge of £1.70 at Sykati though - presumably Google phoning home every 5 minutes.

Hope the above is of some use to Kalymnos newbies and needless to say... the climbing was brilliant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...