UKC

Anyone Climbed The Ventoux ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Carpe Diem 17 Sep 2015
Last year a friend and I jokingly talked about riding up the Ventoux. I’ve been riding regularly about 5 years (MTB too) I got to looking at the hill again in April and decided to book a week in Bedoin at the end of August. I’d been in training for the ride for 4 months or so. Living in south Wales there were plenty of hills to train on: Gospel pass, The Tumble, Bwlch/Rhigos were the main lung burners.

About 10 days before the trip I woke up with a shooting pain in my back – I’d done something to my Trapizius and it was sending shooting pains down my Arm. I’d had the same pull / strain the year before at the same time too. I couldn’t believe it had happened again!!! I was off the bike for about 6 weeks last year, but it wasn’t as severe this time. So I had a few physio sessions but they didn’t really help. The worst position for the pain, ironically was either on the Brake Hoods or top tube!

I didn’t know how things would work out but carried on with the holiday – I was having 4 days in Chamonix at the end and was thinking about the Galibier too, assuming MV didn’t kill me ! So I arrived on the Saturday and rested up Sunday. Monday evening I decided to ride over to Malaucene to test the waters. By the time I’d left the town square I knew I was stuffed! I was in agony!

I drove up to the summit through the Forrest and the drive intimidated me, let alone biking up! Things were a little better by the Wednesday but the pain was the same in the riding position. I rode up from Bedoin and about a mile into the Forrest to test things that evening. On Thursday night I thought if I could just find a position where the spasms were not happening I’d be ok. I was feeling so fit too. So made a few small adjustments to the stem and Seat post.

I woke at 6am on Friday ( last day in Bedoin – do or die ) Smothered my Shoulder in Tiger balm and set off at 7am. Things were ok as the forest approached, it was on the cool side, there was no wind and the sun was tempting me from over the summit, 1000’s of feet above! Perfect riding conditions. My shoulder and arm were not too bad. No spasm’s. I made a goal of getting to the Sharp switch back just over half way up, and got there. I was 1st gear almost from the start of the forest ( 39/30 ) Cadence was 65, and I was managing to find a rhythm ( dead slow I call it ) It’s funny how pleased I felt when the gradient dropped to 8 or 9 percent – I’d be cursing that back home!! Met a rider from Belgium who was doing all Three routes that day. He had a triple, and kindly refused my offer of a swap ! He was good company and before I knew it , well actually much later that I expected I saw Chalet Renyard…. I knew I was going to get there!!

I stopped for a drink and chew for 5 mins then set off. The last 6 k to the summit are very similar to the Rhigos here in Wales so I was feeling confident. Still no wind and warm sunshine. I stopped for a few photos , then I saw the Tom Simpson memorial. The Gradient spiked up a bit then on the last k and the there were more people about. I saw the photographer on the right of the road, so sucked my belly in and got out of the saddle for the last 200Meters! After 3 hours I’d made it to the Summit! Pole, Pole, ( Slowly, slowly in Tanzanian ) Had worked… My smile was like the Horizon!!

I took a few more photos, gathered myself , put my windproof jacket and Gloves on and clicked my way into top gear. The descent was fantastic, hit 75k a few times even though the tucked position was agony on my back.

It was the best climbing day I’ve ever had – I’ll be back next year and try all three routes.. Carpe Diem!!!!
 Dave the Rave 17 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Well done.
 Pedro50 17 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Well done, I did it in 1999, fantastic experience, the day after the eclipse. Took me over 3 hours but unforgeable. Got up to over 50 mph on the descent, kept getting tangled up with bloody cars with better braking than me. Great days!
Removed User 17 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Ticking big hills in the Alps (and beyond) can be very addictive...
 gethin_allen 17 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

I fancy giving this a go at some point, maybe next year if I can find a sucker who'll join me.
 Dark-Cloud 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Its a lovely climb, did it from the Bedoin side then the Malaucène side the next day a while back. Just got back from this years trip, the Colle delle Finestre is a beast is all i can say !!
 Chris the Tall 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Have you seen the recent BBC prog "Dead Man Cycling" ? It's about a scottish paralympian currently recovering from cancer - did all 3 ascents in a day. Very inspiring.
 LastBoyScout 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Didn't get a chance this year, but it's on my to-do list...
In reply to Removed User:

You're absolutely right. Although it's impossible to explain the concept to non cyclists
I ticked 7 big hills in the Alps this year. I've got a plan to do a cycle traverse next year and ride a few more.
Which have been your favourites in the Alps?
 Rog Wilko 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Good effort.
Did you see this last year?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=602257&v=1#x7922307
 SteveSBlake 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

You should check out Craig Entwhistle's place, Veloventoux. I've stayed there four times now. Perfect location, great hosts and superb local knowledge.

Steve
chrismcc 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Well Done - big ride by anyone's Standards!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...