UKC

OI NEWS: 2015 Welsh Climbing Championships. 7th November.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 13 Oct 2015
2015 Welsh Climbing Championships, 6 kb

It's back for the 7th year, taking place in 2015 at Beacon Climbing Centre in North Wales on Saturday 7th November!

Read more
 winhill 13 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

It's the same day as the BMC regional academies for youth climbers, bad timing.

But then they use next year's youth categories as well, so there is no comp for 17 year olds (although I think only a couple turned up last year).
 AndrewP 13 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Another comment re. age categories. Why no Junior category? My son would love to enterbut he's aged 16 with a 1998 birthday. He came fairly late to competition climbing but was 2nd in Wales in the YCS Youth A category last year and is super keen still. However there seems to be nothing in Wales for him to go for now.
Andrew Kin 13 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Why are they using next years age groups?
 Alex Mason 15 Oct 2015
In reply to AndrewP:

Hi Andrew,

We contemplated having another category but with 5 routes/category and 14 categories already, it's been challenging enough plotting where all the routes will fit in the centre and I seriously doubt we could have actually squeezed in upto another 10 routes.
Also, as we've seen in other comps throughout the years, 16-17 year olds can completely smash the adults! I hope he still wants to come along and give it a go
 Alex Mason 15 Oct 2015
In reply to Thelittlesthobo:

Hi there Tiny Hobo,

We are using next years age groups because the competition was originally set up to give kids a chance to enter a comp in the same vein as the GB comps later in the year (primarily to allow Category C to try out a lead comp). This is also why there are five routes, so they can fit in as much experience as possible. We've been keen to stick to this idea as the comp continues to grow.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...