UKC

New Order - which side are you on?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hooky or Barney?
The acrimonious break up of New Order provided two factions & two versions of the truth. Which side are you on - Peter Hook or Bernard Sumner?
 The Pylon King 18 Nov 2015
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Gillian
 joe.wahab 18 Nov 2015

Unaware of breakup politics, but I love Hooky's high register bass playing. Great band.
 Tony the Blade 19 Nov 2015

Both, I like them both.
Clauso 19 Nov 2015

I suspect that Bernard's right, but Hooky's cooler so he wins.
 Fiona Reid 19 Nov 2015

Neither side. Both are probably right / wrong in their own ways.

Musically the different parts have not (yet) produced anything close to what they achieved as a whole.

Music Complete is a pretty good effort though.

hokkyokusei 19 Nov 2015

I'm on neither side, but I saw The Light at Bingley Music Live and it was fantastic hearing those Joy Division & New Order songs being performed live.
 Chris the Tall 19 Nov 2015
In reply to Urgles:

> Gillian

Great to see her back. My opinion is that New Order sans Hook is a lot better than New Order sans Gilbert (one excellant track on 2 very mediocre albums), but still not a patch on the 80s when all four of them were working so well together. I feel sorry for Hooky's replacement - he's caught between a rock and a hard place - imitate Hook or do his own thing and suffer the comparisons. Hooky's basslines were so distinctive that you notice when they are absent, but it seems Gillian's contributions were more subtle yet fundamental.

Saw Hook and the light a couple of years ago doing Unknown Pleasures - a slightly wierd gig but good nonetheless. The problem is that he needs to be the front man - otherwise it just becomes his own tribute act - but by doing so he can't do what he's best at. It was a bit like seeing Pat Nevin playing centre-forward for Tranmere.

He needs to get John Simm in on the act - he's got Barney down to a tee !

Still not sure what the actual squabble is about (i.e. why Hooky was sacked), but it's sad when two lifelong friends who've been through so much together can't resolve their differences. Surprised it's not reached court yet - both sides seem to have been resigned to that eventuality for about 5 years now.

Hmmm - time to listen to Power Corruption and Lies...
 Chris the Tall 19 Nov 2015

Off-topic, but does Age of Consent mark the first appearance of the Barney yelp ?

Either way it's the perfect example of a track where you've got 4 distinct contributions blending brilliantly
 Mike-W-99 19 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Off-topic, but does Age of Consent mark the first appearance of the Barney yelp ?
maybe Everything's gone green?
 mike123 19 Nov 2015
Both hookey and barney are usually on Rad Mac whenever they ve got something to push . Both come across well and not as rock star kn@b heads , last time barney was on he was even quite chatty , talking about sailing . Always tend to think of hookey as a bit fighty and aggressive , but I think the little altercation we had was probably my fault.
 alan moore 19 Nov 2015

Always understood that Hooky was a bad boy but that bass; you can stick it with any kind of music, remix it to death and it's still him!
Might be better than Lemmy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...