UKC

Stob Coire Easen, from Ossian hostel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 23 Nov 2015
I'm wondering how easy the route is over Stob Coire Easen from south to north. I'd be aiming to start from Ossian hostel and arrive at Tulloch hostel.....in February. It has a good bad weather option. Start at 8am? Has anyone good knowledge of this to offer a view? Thanks,
Removed User 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

I’ve done both the Easens from the Lairig Leacach bothy in bad weather in winter. We followed the path on the E side of the Allt na Lairige to NN295703 and ascended to pt916m onward to the summit. To be honest apart from the wind I don’t recall any particular difficulties. We returned to the bothy by the corrie between the Munros and round under Sgurr Innse.

When leaving Corrour don’t take the path besides the railway, it’s a mudbath. Follow the estate towards Loch Ossian and cut left before the hostel. Much better underfoot and easy to follow.

This might help:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Hills&group=1&sh...

Siward 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

Done it that way on summer and it was a great ridge walk. In decent weather in Feb it would be a good outing, although a long way hostel to hostel if you are having to wade through snow. If all was frozen it would be great.
 Mark Bull 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

No real problem: the SW ridge of Stob Coire Easain is not difficult, despite the ominous looking markings on the OS map. The direct descent off Meall Cian Dearg can be tricky in winter - if you are heading for Tulloch you are as well bearing off NW before this to the Allt Laire and taking the forestry track out to Inverlair. Don't be tempted to cross the railway bridge over the Spean - it's too narrow to be safe, as well as being illegal.

It's about 25km and 1100m height gain - so 8-9 hours would be reasonable in decent conditions, but it could be much more if there is fresh snow down at lower levels, for example. The last hour or so is on tracks/roads so no problem to do that in the dark.
OP Phil1919 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks all. All things noted. Yes, I thought the markings looked a bit ominous!

So it needs good conditions to be viable otherwise too long a day. I think the bad weather route would be ok. Otherwise, as I'd be committed as hostel would be booked, the train.
 Howard 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

This is an excellent day out. I did it in February 2001, from Corrour Station. It is good advice to avoid the path running parallel with the railway line. On a later occasion, I fell over into the awful black ooze masquerading as a path, very unpleasant. The first part of the route to the south end of Loch Treig is downhill which is nice. The ascent over the two Munros is straightforward, but avoid the crags of Meall Cian Dearg on the North ridge of Stob a Choire Mheadhoin-I would drop down on the west side of the nose, and then continue on the ridge when you are clear of the crags.
I would not have thought a start as early as 8.00 am is needed-in February you will have that little bit more daylight. However, no harm in starting early.
Tulloch Hostel is an excellent place to stay, good drying rooms, and you can get an evening meal there too. The best way to get there when you are off the hill is by the road, do not be tempted to take the path on the OS map which they think runs parallel to the railway line.

Flinticus 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

At Corrour in summer. The track by the railway has been upgraded to a path what with all the micro dam construction going on though access may be affected by any dam workings (have they finished?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...