UKC

REVIEW: DMM Maverick 2 Harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 27 Nov 2015
Dmm Maverick 2 Montage, 4 kbMountain Guide Tim Neill takes the new DMM Maverick 2 Harness through its paces:

"I've probably worn it most days since late August until now (mid November) in a full variety of climbing situations from big rock routes in the Dolomites, guiding on modest alpine peaks, rock climbing throughout Snowdonia on popular V Diffs through to less popular E6s, abseiling/jumaring up and down the Quarryman wall in Twll Mawr whilst replacing old bolts and finally on the '38 Route on the Eiger North Face. I've tried my best to give it a good varied test..."

Read more

Wft 27 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

The rock on 'Bubbling' looks really really good
 Kafoozalem 27 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

DMM seem to be moving gear loops further back - way too far IMO. I was so disappointed with the Renegade 2 that I sourced a replacement with the older model. Am I the only one who can't twist enough to see things on the gear loops?
Another bug bear with harnesses are the flimsiness of the leg elastics - never up to the job and usually the reason I replace a harness.
Generally I find DMM products to be of the finest quality but I think there is definite room for improvement with their harnesses.
 TobyA 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Loads of people hated the gear loops on the original Renegade. Never saw the problem myself but it was an oft cited problem here on UKC. With the Renegade 2 I still didn't have any problems with the loop positioning although I did semi-break one quite quickly http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/dmm-renegade-harness-review...
 PPP 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Kafoozalem:
Front gear loops being in front are great until the cam lobe gets caught by the rock and you cannot move further. Happened to me once on the crux and the noises did not sound very nice...

Edit: I got my gear colour matched (all hexes/cams have the same colour carabiners, etc.). It looks like a rainbow, but I can locate stuff a lot much easier.
Post edited at 22:02
 neuromancer 29 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Can I ask why you would ever buy the Maverick 2 when you could buy the Renegade?

I mean it's even in red!
 TobyA 29 Nov 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

> Can I ask why you would ever buy the Maverick 2 when you could buy the Renegade?

Weighs less, cost a bit less, and some people don't like leg buckles. That's probably plenty for some people.

Robert Durran 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Kafoozalem:

> DMM seem to be moving gear loops further back - way too far IMO. I was so disappointed with the Renegade 2 that I sourced a replacement with the older model. Am I the only one who can't twist enough to see things on the gear loops?

No you're not. The first thing I looked for in this review was the racking........but no mention. It seems impossible these days to get a harness with enough and forward enough gear loops. My ancient Wild Country Synchro is on its last legs! I've got the nearest thing Wild Country now make, but it's not up to scratch and a DMM one which is ok, but nowhere near as good. The foreign manufactured ones either seem designed for Euros who only need to rack a few quickdraws or for Americans who don't mind a bandolier of gear knocking around their knees.
 Rob Davies 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

The DMM Renegade 2 does have 7 gear loops. I've just bought one (to replace a Synchro) - I couldn't find another current model of any make with that many. Actually I'm not sure that some other harnesses with fewer but bigger gear loops would take less gear, it's just that you get used to organising everything with 7.

I was expecting that, following the dreadful Todd Skinner accident a few years back, belay loops would get chunkier, but in fact they seem to have got more thinner, judging by the latest DMM models.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...