UKC

come back after broken leg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Leela 14 Dec 2015
Hi
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I suffered a bouldering accident 4 weeks ago and broke my left fibula, just below the knee. It was a non-complex stable break and I was given no cast or air boot and sent away with crutches and told to weight bear after 4 days! I've mixed it up with non-weight bearing as the muscle pain has made it impossible to fully weight bear.
I've been told I can try stationary bike cycling and swimming in 2 weeks, but I'm wondering when I could try climbing again. I've been advised against bouldering for about 9 months due to the impact of falling on the bone again, but I'm thinking top roping and maybe seconding for a while maybe in Feb when I can fully walk on my leg.
It's beyond frustrating not being able to do anything and any advice on what I can do in the meantime to keep as rock fit as I can would be really helpful.
Thanks
Leela
Rigid Raider 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Leela:

Best low-impact CV training is cycling, specifically road cycling. Could you then do upper body in a gym?
Leela 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Because leg isn't in plaster I need to be careful about potentially falling off of anything for a while, hence the stationary bike. Just don't know when to try climbing again, guess I'll have to suck it and see! Thanks.
 Ian Bell 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Leela:

Not exactly the same but I broke my femur trad climbing about 5 years ago. I was only partial weightbearing for a while but when I was able to weight bear on it properly started top roping again straight away. Found it was fine as long as I was sensible, the obvious things like avoiding high steps etc. The mental aspect of getting back to climbing was actually harder than the physical which came back fairly strongly.

Afraid I don't have any useful advice what to do before that then, I completed Fallout 2!

ElBarto 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Ian Bell:

Well Fallout 4 came out recently, so maybe he could do that? Even if it doesn't aid recovery, it's a good game.
 james mann 14 Dec 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...