UKC

Spine Race

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iain Thow 08 Jan 2016
Good luck to all those running the Spine Race, which starts from Edale tomorrow. 268 miles up the Pennines in January, quite a test. Looks like gales & snow again!
Us mere wimps can follow them from the comfort of a sofa at
http://live.thespinerace.com/
This article gives some idea what it's like.
http://team.inov-8.com/spine-race-damian-hall/
 mountainbagger 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Exciting! They're doing a 5 minute video round up at the end of each day apparently, which will help bring the tracking to life.
OP Iain Thow 09 Jan 2016
In reply to mountainbagger:

The tracking app is addictive isn't it.
The front end of the Challengers all seem to be piling up just beyond Bleaklow summit at the moment, then zooming on, rapidly, so either there's a particularly bad bit of bog or a minor glitch in the tracking?
In reply to Iain Thow:

> The tracking app is addictive isn't it.

Sure is! Doesn't work very well on my phone but have got the laptop out...much better. Beth Pascall is doing well in the Challenger. I've been to some of the places they are running through so using my imagination and the tracking map to pretend I'm there watching it (or even running it - I wish!).

OP Iain Thow 09 Jan 2016

She and the other front 3 are at Standedge already, in only 5 hours, amazing stuff! Can't think of many sports where the best women are up there competing with the best blokes.
In reply to Iain Thow:

> Can't think of many sports where the best women are up there competing with the best blokes.

Yes, like last year's Dragon's Back. 3 women in top 6:

http://www.dragonsbackrace.com/results/2015-results/

Great stuff - another addictive live tracking experience!
 liz j 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Wonrek of this parish is running the Spine Challenger, go girl, you have got this!!
Clauso 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

I'm getting addicted to watching those bloody dots!
OP Iain Thow 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Me too. We had a few of them in the shop on friday (lovely cheery people) buying last minute items and it's decidedly weird to know exactly where the kit is days later.
 r0b 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Love watching the tracker, hate it when I see people going off course - I find myself shouting at the screen telling them to turn around!
OP Iain Thow 09 Jan 2016
Still compulsively checking in every so often - Beth Pascall is still in the front four after a solid 13 and a half hours running, five of them in the dark. 60 miles done, if they can keep up that rate they'll knock about 5 hours off the record!
OP Iain Thow 09 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:
Number 54 is doing just that at the moment. Last year the tracker gave away that 3 of them made a detour to go to the pub! Filthy night of rain and gales, don't blame them in the least.
 r0b 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

That's a very easy junction to miss in the dark, a few people have gone wrong at that point already. I was in the race (Challenger) last year and yes it was absolutely filthy weather!
Clauso 09 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:

Number 5 looks like they've taken a bit of a detour too!... Showing east side of Warland Reservoir.
 Ridge 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Chris Wood seems to be heading into Keighley.

Brave lad!
 Ridge 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Scratch that. Looks like he's stolen a car, picked up a takeaway and is heading for Skipton.
Clauso 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Ridge:

It'd be really tempting to chuck your race in, and attach your tracker to a narrowboat, once you hit the Leeds-Liverpool canal... Not only would you be off route, but you'd also look as though you have particular problems negotiating locks.
OP Iain Thow 09 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:
Yes it's a different world up on the moors in the dark isn't it. I made an "interesting" diversion up on a misty Kinder a few nights ago, and that's my back yard.
Actually I'm hugely impressed with anyone who does the Spine, it's way above my pootling about league.
Post edited at 23:49
rob sykes 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

wow. i just can't my head around this.

forgive my ignorance, but do competitors sleep at all? surely, there comes a point where they hit a wall (perhaps literally?) and need to sleep. if so, where? out in the open? at a checkpoint?

also, what about food. do they survive on runners food - cereal bars and gels or can they get hot food at checkpoints?
OP Iain Thow 11 Jan 2016
In reply to rob sykes:

Apparently Pavel Paloncy had 5 hours sleep in 4 and a half days when he set the record for the main race in 2014. They can sleep at the main checkpoints (about 5 of them?) if they choose, and there is food available there too, but on the hill they're on their own.
Somebody did run straight into a cow last year.
Pavel, Eoin Keith & Eugeni Rosello Sole were in Upper Teesdale after 48 hours, 160 miles and maybe 16,000 feet, ridiculous!
 mountainbagger 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Yes, I think Pavel has previously used a strategy of not sleeping for the first two days - perhaps the other two with him are doing the same this year?

The people with an (S) after their name on the tracking system are being supported:
"You are allowed a support team if you choose. Support teams should not access the course but use the many road crossings on the route. They are able to move your drop bag for you. Your support team can offer resupply, medical support and assist other athletes at their discretion. You can use your support vehicle to sleep in, if you wish."

Otherwise, yes, as you said I think they're on their own though you can use shops, cafes and pubs along the route to resupply (but no hotels or B&B's for sleeping).

More rules here, page 7: http://thespinerace.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2016-Race-Documents.pdf

cmgcmg 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:
The last racer from our team is about to finish the epic Montane Spine MRT race. Look out for number 216 and show your support by visiting http://campaign.justgiving.com/charity/glossopmrt/spine2016

Tim Budd finished the Spine MRT in first place yesterday around 30 minutes short of the Challenge race winners time.
We are so proud of the fantastic performance all three of our runner have put in and are in awe of all the entrants.
 galpinos 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:
Pavel seems to have disappeared from the tracker map?

Doh, just not zoomed in enough........

(How do you do "strike-through" on UKC, i thought it'd be [s][/s]?
Post edited at 13:17
 r0b 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Eoin has made a break for it after CP3 Middleton and now has maybe an hour's lead over Pavel and Eugeni - the race is on!

The lead trio went straight through to Tan Hill Inn in a 36 hour/120+ mile non-stop effort. I think they slept there for a couple of hours and then again at CP3.
OP Iain Thow 11 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:

Great stuff. The Terrible Trio should be through the N Pennines before the next bit of weather hits too. Looking at the forecast anyone on Cross Fell tomorrow lunchtime is due a wild time.
Lostsky 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

They are made of stern stuff. We have just been watching navigation errors made in the dark after 57hours on the go! Eoin Kieth, in the lead, over-ran the Alston check point and had to go back whilst Peter Wilkie missed the path and ended up at Cow Green Reservoir. Its kind of inevitable that the mind begins to struggle with sleep depravation and incredible endurance. As has been said earlier, the tracker is addictive.
 r0b 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Lostsky:

Think they've officially diverted the route along the road to Cow Green due to risk or verglas on the rocks neat to Cauldron Snout, so Peter Wilkie is going the right way. Eoin has pulled out a big lead, could be race winning but a long way to go yet!
Clauso 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Lostsky:

I'm hooked on the bloody thing!...

I wondered about Peter Wilkie. Are they required to stick to the Pennine Way route, or can they divert between checkpoints?... I was wondering if the Cow Green Reservoir diversion wasn't a clever ploy to avoid the stumble over Falcon Clints, and the scramble up the side of Cauldron Snout?

... Just incredibly impressive, regardless.
 r0b 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Cow Green route he's taking is an official race deviation. Otherwise they have to stay on the PW.

Now it seems like Pavel and Eugeni have missed CP4 too!
Clauso 11 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:

I see. Ta... Good grief; all that and they've still some miles of rough country to face yet!
OP Iain Thow 11 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:
What happens if they do deviate, are they disqualified or is it just a time penalty? For instance a few came down the road into Gargrave instead of across the fields for the last km, it would be pretty harsh to chuck someone out for that.
 mountainbagger 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> I'm hooked on the bloody thing!...

Have you been watching the daily video updates? Fantastic addition to the tracker for bringing it all to life.

I just can't get my head around how hard it must be...but I want to. I'll keep trying. 10 marathons in a row. In the middle of winter. Rough ground, loads of ascent/descent. Wind, snow, ice. Most of it in the dark. Sleep deprivation. Body eating itself. 7 day limit...phew!
Clauso 11 Jan 2016

> Have you been watching the daily video updates? Fantastic addition to the tracker for bringing it all to life.

Yes, I have indeed been following the video updates and totally agree with your take on them.

... I, like you, am also watching on in admiration. I've tried to backpack the thing in the past - made it to Hadrian's Wall in 13 days, before I had to withdraw injured - and it certainly allows me some small appreciation of their efforts.

OP Iain Thow 12 Jan 2016
It's amazingly impressive isn't it and looks like being a new record this year. The front three are on Hadrians Wall in under 3 days. I'd be quite happy doing that in 10!
 fimm 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Some light relief - my OH read out the following from Facebook (I'm not sure if the person who posted it is racing or support crew or race team or what):

"The Spine Race bubble....
A: Holy Sh1t, David Bowie has died
Race HQ: Sh1t, what was his race number?
...."
 mountainbagger 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Looks like Pavel has taken a scenic route onto Hadrian's wall, whereas Eugeni looks to be following the route as defined on the tracking system. Not sure which way Eoin went. Blink and you miss it
In reply to fimm:

Love it.

Also following the dots.

What is this rule that allows them to visit pubs? Bunch of wimps...
rob sykes 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Looking at Damian Hall's blog, he says:

"After my first Spine Race I went from size medium to size small. After my second Spine Race I couldn’t run for seven weeks because my lower-leg tendons were seriously annoyed about it all."

I have zero medical knowledge so I'd be interested to hear from those who do about any long term effects on the body (even those racers who are used to such distances?) from completing a non-stop 268 mile race in these conditions, on minimal sleep etc.

any doctors or similar in the house?
rob sykes 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

a spine racer walks into a pub, slumps on the bar....

barman: "have you come far today?"
OP Iain Thow 12 Jan 2016

Pavel seems to have put on a spurt away from Eugeni. Going for it now that there's only one range to go?
At this rate they'll finish in the early hours tomorrow, well under 4 days.
 jameswoodman1 12 Jan 2016
For anyone interested in following Pete Wilkie's progress a little further (currently first Brit (4th overall), battling/working hard with Matt Neale). Pete's open Facebook group for the event can be found at the attached link, with constant updates from his support crew compiled of family and friends (mainly of Roundhay Runners in Leeds).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/429177437272991/?fref=ts

For 2016, as well as The Spine he's also planning to complete a long LEJOG - visiting the E,W,N & S extremities of the UK, along with Ben Nevis and Holme Fen (highest and lowest points in the country). Pete will also compete in the Breca Swim Challenge in the Lakes later in the year. All raising money for the British Heart Foundation, Pancreatic Cancer UK and Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue Association.

Pete's support crew are currently waiting for him to arrive in Garrigill in the next 15 minutes or so after what looks to have been a bit of a rough time up on Cross Fell this morning.

Clauso 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

This may be old news, to some folk, but I've just discovered that you can now virtually walk the PW on Google Street View.

This is the area that Eoin is currently passing:

http://tinyurl.com/grc8zyj
OP Iain Thow 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Bet it doesn't look like that at the moment!
Although it looks like the worst of the weather is further south and they might have a good night for crossing the Cheviot.
Clauso 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

He's currently passing Padon Hill. He's halfway to Byrness, while it looks as though his closest competitors are resting at Bellingham.
 Brass Nipples 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Bringing back memories of when I walked the Pennine Way, and stopped in far more pubs.
 mountainbagger 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> This may be old news, to some folk, but I've just discovered that you can now virtually walk the PW on Google Street View.

Very nice, I didn't know you could do that...more hours wasted instead of working, thanks

If I start in Edale and click that arrow on Google Street View for 268 miles, without going to bed, until I get to Kirk Yetholm, that'll give me some idea how hard the real thing is.

Forget armchair mountaineering, this is armchair foot racing!
 Fredt 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:
I'm fascinated to see that Pavel checked in at Bellingham a little under an hour after Eoin. Yet Eoin left almost immediately, around 1:30, but Pavel has not left yet at 5pm
Strategy or struggle?
Post edited at 17:07
Clauso 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Pavel and Eugeni are now on the move again. They're a hell of a way behind Eoin... I expect that Eoin is going to take a rest at Byrness, surely?
 Fredt 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> Pavel and Eugeni are now on the move again. They're a hell of a way behind Eoin... I expect that Eoin is going to take a rest at Byrness, surely?

With only 35 miles to go!?
 jameswoodman1 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Fredt:

"only" 35 miles!

I believe Eoin has so far only stopped for 2 hours sleep, all the way back at Tan Hill in the early hours of Monday morning, how oh how is he still awake let alone moving at pace, navigating etc.
OP Iain Thow 12 Jan 2016
In reply to
He does seem to have stopped at Byrness. Even with a rest he should still finish ahead of the hext wave of snow. Feel sorry for the people up on Cross Fell at the moment. Just come down from my own piffling hill run in the Peak, it's not very nice up there and it looks a lot worse further north.
Clauso 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Fredt:

> With only 35 miles to go!?

Probably gonna feel more like 350 miles, given what he's already covered on virtually no sleep!
Clauso 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Oh, heck; it looks as though Eugeni may have bailed?... It looked as though his tracker was heading up a road, south of Byrness, at a rate of knots.
OP Iain Thow 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:
Yes, he's been withdrawn by the medical team apparently. Must be a real kicker for him after such a great run.
Clauso 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Bugger. Poor bloke

... A great effort, regardless.
Clauso 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Eoin's off again...
 Fredt 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

...and so is Pavel, about an hour behind Eoin.
Race on!
Clauso 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Fredt:

Pavel barely halted at Byrness. The pair of them are unbelievable.
 Roadrunner5 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Super impressive..

I love Eoin. We raced a 100k in Galway, me for Wales, him for ireland, I beat him IIRC.. shared a few guinesses that night. We were both mountain guys making a rare outing on the roads so spent much of the 50x2k laps on the sea wall in Galway reminiscing about classic mountain races. Top guy. I actually thought he'd beaten me but we worked out later I'd passed him whilst he was in the crapper late on..

What a brutal event.

Clauso 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Bugger. It looks as though Pavel has canned it, too, now.

His tracker is heading down towards Blindburn, anyhow.
Clauso 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

... Good grief, it now looks as though Pavel made a navigational error: he's turned around and is now heading back up and west again. Poor bloke has probably added an extra 5km onto his ordeal.
Clauso 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Eoin certainly didn't hang about at that last checkpoint!... He's on the home straight now.

Pavel looks as though he's having a torrid time. He seems to be off-track again.
Post edited at 07:20
 mountainbagger 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:
Incredible stuff! I felt a bit tired when I got up this morning and just chuckled at my pathetic-ness when I remembered what these guys were doing!

Edit: chuckled not chucked!
Post edited at 07:47
 Toccata 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

This is enthralling. Last bit of up then it's all downhill for Eoin. To cover that distance over that terrain, at night, in winter, without sleep is awe-inspiring.
 goldmember 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Toccata:

How would they recover physically and mentally after this race? and how long would it take?
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Toccata:

In well under 4 days too, fantastic stuff!
In reply to Iain Thow:

I've zoomed right in on the tracker now and fully intend on watching Eoin edge towards the finish. Amazing!
 galpinos 13 Jan 2016

And he's done!
Clauso 13 Jan 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> And he's done!

Stunning stuff... And, from the look of his tracker, he's headed straight for a pint in The Border Hotel.
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

He bloody well deserves it!!!!!
In reply to goldmember:

Iain (the OP) posted a link to Damian Hall's account: http://team.inov-8.com/spine-race-damian-hall/

I think recovery varies depending on the extent of any injuries, strains, sprains etc. You'd need a fair while to simply catch up on sleep and food. Damian said he lost a lot of bodyweight. I think you'd still be tired for a good while after, so I guess it depends on what you would define as "recovered". Able simply to run? Full strength, ready for another go?

I'm tired just thinking about it

Anyway, well done Eoin!
Moley 13 Jan 2016
In reply to goldmember:

> How would they recover physically and mentally after this race? and how long would it take?

Every individual is different, some seem to be able to repeat these performances and others not.
I would expect 6 weeks+ simply for the physical damage to muscle and body to repair, but the body can be so drained that immune system takes a hammering and mentally its a massive deflation to overcome.

Could be 3 months, 6 months, a year, never. I'm sure someone here can come up with examples of people who recover quickly and others who don't. Pavel P. seems to keep going at the top, but he's a big, strong lump of a bloke
 jameswoodman1 13 Jan 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Provisional time for Eoin of 95 hr 43 mins, knocking more than 15 hours off Pavel's previous record. Guess it's just another one for his trophy cabinet....

https://eoinkeith.wordpress.com/the-trophy-cabinet/

Chapeau Mr Keith!
 Rob Naylor 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Exciting tussle for position between the women. My friend Anna Buckingham had pulled out about a 2 hour lead on Zoe Thornbury up to yesterday, when I watched it gradually being eroded until Zoe overtook her just before 9 this morning....but then she overtook again in turn....looks like they're really battling it out toe to toe!

Can't believe that I first met Anna via a weight loss site, in about 2008 or 9, and then at various races as we'd both started running as part of our de-porking regime....look at her now!
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to jameswoodman1:

Love the fact that Eoin's tracker now has a load of Zzzz's emanating from it!
In reply to Iain Thow:

Pete Wilkie is doing well (who somebody posted about further up this thread). He seems to have gone straight through Bellingham CP5.

Still lots of interest left in this race. Who will be 3rd? Who will be first woman? Who will finish at all? I know I will still be routing for the backmarkers over the next couple of days still, hoping they will all make it to the end within the 7 day limit!
 jameswoodman1 13 Jan 2016

Pete's not planning on stopping again at the moment, he's aware of his position (overall and relative to others) and is just going to try and power through to the end. Matt Neale appears to have stopped for a rest at Bellingham, it'll be interesting to see if he can refuel enough to try and make some time up on Pete.
 JamButty 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

wow how the hell can you do something like that 15% faster than anyone else has ever done. I wonder how many minutes sleep he actually got....
The gaps between people is unbelievable

OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to JamButty:

Even the people at the back are doing some impressive stuff - Edale to Dufton in 4 days 4 hrs-ish is good going -
40 winter hill miles in a day. And again, and again, and again. Good on them.
 JamButty 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

> Even the people at the back are doing some impressive stuff - Edale to Dufton in 4 days 4 hrs-ish is good going -

> 40 winter hill miles in a day. And again, and again, and again. Good on them.

Ooh yes totally agree, I'm just amazed at how the nutter miles at the front kept going, but to enter it and get even some of it done is beyond me and amazing stuff!
In reply to Iain Thow:

How is the womens race doing (can't access live tracking at work - boo)??
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

Anna Buckingham & Zoe Thornburgh seem to be running together now, just coming down into Garrigill. Sarah Fuller is on the way up onto Knock Fell and Constanze Escher is in Dufton.
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to JamButty:

There's a comment on Eoin's blog that this race will be the longest he's ever been away from his wife in the year since they got married, maybe that's his incentive!
 Tall Clare 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

I spoke to Luke Latimer when he was in Gargrave - he said his main motivation to keep going was so that he could complete it and never ever have to think about it again.

Hats off to the lot of them - especially as the weather tonight looks particularly grim for them.
 hokkyokusei 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

> There's a comment on Eoin's blog that this race will be the longest he's ever been away from his wife in the year since they got married, maybe that's his incentive!

I think that blog post is about last year's race, the ofrst time he did it?
 tony 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

> Anna Buckingham & Zoe Thornburgh seem to be running together now, just coming down into Garrigill.

Have they just missed the checkpoint in Alston?
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Yes, you're right - and he did the Tor de Geant in Aosta in September, so that was probably longer still.
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:
No, looks like they're in there along with 9 others - although zoomed in they seem to be just down the road?
In there now anyway.
Post edited at 16:59
In reply to Iain Thow:

Looks like Pete Wilkie is having a kip/rest in a mountain refuge hut at the moment. Hope he's OK/just tired!
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016

Love those little zzzzz's. Looks like it's snowing pretty heavily up there at the moment, so maybe he's waiting it out in the hut till daylight.
In reply to Iain Thow:

I think a couple of people still on Cross Fell are also resting in a hut as well. As you say could be pretty wild out there! Fingers crossed all ok.
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016

The zzzz's for Pete Wilkie have disappeared from my tracker, but are still there for the group in Greg's Hut. He still seems to be in the hut though. My weather map shows both areas as big white blobs so I guess it's pretty unpleasant high up.
 r0b 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

My mate Harsh is one of the four currently in Greg's Hut. Just had a text from him saying they are going to push on to Alston soon, several kms of snow and drifts to deal with along the Coffin Road to Garrigil though. He said Cross Fell was pretty full on!
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:
I bet it was! Feel sorry for the three struggling with it at the moment. Good luck to all of them.

Actually it looks as if Gerard and Constanze have headed off down the radio station road in search of some shelter.
Post edited at 22:27
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016

Pete Wilkie is on his way again and looks like he's making good progress. Amazing what a bit of rest (and food?) can do.
 Brass Nipples 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

This is epic stuff.
OP Iain Thow 13 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:
Sure is. The Greg's Hut 4 have made 3km in the last hour, downhill on a good track, it must be pretty drifted over, and Alan Purdue on Cross Fell itself has barely moved in the same time, hope he's ok. The other 2 have made it down to the farm lanes though, heading back to Dufton for the rest of the night, I guess. Good decision.
Gerard and Constanze have bailed.
Post edited at 00:05
Clauso 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Good grief, they're getting a rough time of it by the look of things... Stay safe all.
In reply to Iain Thow:

Are Anna and Zoe still together and where are they (annoyingly can't access live tracking at work). Thanks.
Very addictive following this event!
chris20 14 Jan 2016

Yep still together and currently going along Hadrian's wall
 tony 14 Jan 2016

> Are Anna and Zoe still together and where are they (annoyingly can't access live tracking at work). Thanks.

They seem to be together, making their way along Hadrian's Wall at the moment, a couple of miles after Greenhead.
 Chris the Tall 14 Jan 2016

> Are Anna and Zoe still together and where are they (annoyingly can't access live tracking at work). Thanks.

Yes, they appear to be in a group of 4 at Hadrian's Wall

OP Iain Thow 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Apparently there are waist deep drifts on the Cheviots at the moment. Well done to Pete Wilkie for making it across last night. And to Alan Purdue for his epic on Cross Fell. I'm just back from my own run up in the white and windy Peak, found it hard enough. The conditions further north are much worse (and it was dark, of course). I can't imagine doing what they did, fantastic going guys!
 tony 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Are all the points marked with orange circles on the map manned at all times? I'm thinking of the mountain hut near the Cheviot. Can't be much fun for whoever's stuck there at the moment.
OP Iain Thow 14 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:

Some of the local MRT were up there earlier on, don't know if anyone still is. Bet it wasn't fun last night if they are. Probably looks pretty stunning now though, if a bit nippy.
Clauso 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Yes, Eoin and Pavel are no doubt very grateful that they didn't have to contend with waist deep drifts on their crossing of the Cheviots. The rest of the field are certainly toughing it out up there. Hats off indeed.
 mountainbagger 14 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

> Probably looks pretty stunning now though, if a bit nippy.

Not sure, but think this is a "live" webcam nearby: http://www.camsecure.co.uk/Camsecure2/Ingram_Valley.html

Right now, it looks great!
 r0b 14 Jan 2016
In reply to tony:

The Auchope Refuge Hut in the Cheviots is manned by Spine safety crew I think. The huts are quite cosy, slept in the other one in December!
 Brass Nipples 14 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:
When I walked the pennine way the only "refuge" up there was the abandoned railway carriage (God know how it got there)
Post edited at 16:46
OP Iain Thow 14 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:
Looks like 3 of them are dossing in it now, and Matt Neale has just left the Auchope one - bet he's glad to be on the mostly downhill.
 mountainbagger 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/Camsecure2/Ingram_Valley.html

Looking very pretty at the moment!

The two leading women are going well and still together. Should be a good finish later.
chris20 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Looks like the organisers have changed the cut off times and are going to stop anyone continuing from Byrness if they haven't left there already. Must be a tough decision to make
Well, apparently not so nice out there. For safety reasons, cut-off times at Byrness have been changed:
https://www.facebook.com/TheSpineRace/posts/995336460554049

Really unfortunate for those who haven't already left Byrness (or got there yet).

Edit: doh! chris20 beat me to it!
Post edited at 15:50
OP Iain Thow 15 Jan 2016
Looks great. They might actually be enjoying being out there at the moment. Maybe a bit of a freeze might improve the underfoot conditions too.

edit:ditto.
Post edited at 15:55
OP Iain Thow 15 Jan 2016

Real bummer for the two who are in Byrness now, who must have expected to finish.
OP Iain Thow 15 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:

Any idea what happened with Pete Wilkie? He disappeared off the competitors list for a while, then had his own category as a "non-competitor" and now is down as finishing 3rd. Seems odd, especially after his epic crossing of the Cheviots the other night in the worst of the snow.
In reply to chris20:

Very hard decision to make. I can imagine how gutted the competitors who were not allowed to continue felt - on the other hand I did start wondering whether I was watching a disaster beginning to unfold. I've really enjoyed this thread and watching the dots - inspiration for my future maybe...
 Mike-W-99 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

no64 a bit lost?

Been following things for a few days. Incredible time from the winner and dodging the snow as a result?
In reply to Iain Thow:

I think they were probably just doing some admin with the system, maybe adjusting his time or something. For a moment his name was changed to Steve as well!
 r0b 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

No idea, sorry.

My mate Harsh was one of those affected by the change of the cut off at Byrness, he's a bit disappointed not to be able to finish the job as he's still feeling good and has paced himself well (they made Bellingham to Byrness almost as quick as the front guys) but respects the organisers decision. The guys on the Border Ridge are making painfully slow progress. IMHO the original cut off at Byrness of 8pm/ 14 hours before the finish is probably actually not conservative enough; it took me 9.5 hrs to do that bit in September in the daylight when pretty fresh - not unreasonable to expect people who are tired doing it in the dark and snow to take at least twice that!
OP Iain Thow 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Looks like he followed the traditional PW route over White Law rather than the valley route via Burnhead. Maybe the wind has scoured the ridge a bit better than the valley?
OP Iain Thow 15 Jan 2016
In reply to r0b:

Harsh and the people with him did amazingly well getting over Cross Fell in the conditions the other night, good on them. I guess the most important thing is that everyone gets off safely, and that's the organisers call.
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> no64 a bit lost?

Looks like he's ok now. Phew!

> Been following things for a few days. Incredible time from the winner and dodging the snow as a result?

Yes, staggering time - I just can't comprehend it yet, but I'm trying to! Definitely helps if you're faster, even in a lowly marathon. People who are out there longer, but pushing their own limits, definitely are the heroes to me!
 Tim Sparrow 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

This whole adventure has been epic, even from my chair! Got kids in school asking about it, having shown them the tracking map on Wednesday. Fantastic achievement from anyone who has taken part.
Proper tough.
Having seen photos of people out in the hills today, I can hardly imagine how tough it must be trying to get over the Cheviot with lightweight kit. I reckon the organisers made a good call today.
OP Iain Thow 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

Absolutely inspirational, isn't it. Everyone I've shown the tracker to or talked about it to has been impressed. Half of them say "why aren't we hearing more about this" and the other half think they're bonkers!
 Mike-W-99 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

He actually seemed faster going that way.
 Simon Caldwell 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Oh no, no 69 has gone the wrong way!
OP Iain Thow 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Yes, I thought that too, maybe the wind has made the ridges easier going than the more sheltered valley around Burnhead.
 Simon Caldwell 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Phew he's realised and turned round. Will have cost him over an hour though.

Edit: Spoke too soon
Post edited at 22:21
 mountainbagger 16 Jan 2016

All on track now and on the home straight!
OP Iain Thow 16 Jan 2016

Love the two of them touching the finishing wall at the same time. Very appropriate given how communal and supportive the race has been.
https://www.facebook.com/TheSpineRace/photos/a.176864139067956.45805.139587...
In reply to Iain Thow:

Was 'following the dots' earlier this morning and looking at the finish times. I got a real sense of communal spirit and was so pleased that the last two finishers made it.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Apparently Javed Bhatti (24th place) has now turned around and is running the entire Spine route in reverse back to Edale...
 Toccata 17 Jan 2016

Well if that's where his car is parked...
 Ridge 17 Jan 2016

What? Mental, but heroic!

If this is true, is there a way of tracking him online? I need to ensure we do not meet...

chris20 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> If this is true, is there a way of tracking him online? I need to ensure we do not meet...

>

http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/javadpennine16.cfm
OP Iain Thow 18 Jan 2016

Making good time too, given the snow. The man's obviously a lunatic, but some fitness.
In reply to Iain Thow:

I've also discovered (this morning) that he is raising money for Mountain Rescue - fantastic effort.

https://www.justgiving.com/Javed-Bhatti2/
In reply to Iain Thow:

Not been following the tracking page for a while, do you know if he missed out Alston or is this likely to be a tracker mis-communication error?
 r0b 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

The Alston CP is a little off the actual route, no need to go there outside of the race. I think they've just copied the timing points as per the Spine and reversed them.
 mountainbagger 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

I think he went through it, just didn't stop at or go through the point which meant the tracker would pick it up. I saw him making progress between Greenhead and Slaggyford (on way to Alston) and then again heading up to Cross Fell a while later, so he must have gone through Alston.
OP Iain Thow 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

R0b's explanation makes sense to me. Was on the hill myself then so didn't see that bit either.
gibbysrabbit 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:
New blog from Eoin -
https://eoinkeith.wordpress.com/
In reply to gibbysrabbit:

Now that makes me really feel paranoid, even if it shouldn't.

Well done Ian
 Michael Hood 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Toccata:

Looks like Javed will be back for his car in the next hour. 8 days to get back is a pretty good time considering how fresh his legs won't have been. Massive respect.
 mountainbagger 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

Yep, what a great achievement. He'll have time for a few pints before closing...well, probably just one will knock him out to be honest!
OP Iain Thow 24 Jan 2016

Yes, terrific achievement, and Hebden to Edale in a day would be good going at the start of the trip, never mind now!
 Dave Barker 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:
Absolute lunacy, hats off for a remarkable achievement!
Top bloke Javed!
 JamButty 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

Amazing stuff...
 Wonrek 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Iain Thow:

I was lucky enough to run two nights with Javed whilst I was out on the Challenger. The reports just are not doing him full justice. He's a warm and friendly man and spending hours in the harshest conditions with him knowing what he was planning was just a sheer joy and will be a very good memory of my Spine race.

He also plans on doubling all events he's entered for the year.......
OP Iain Thow 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Wonrek:

Much good luck to him. Wish I was anywhere near that fit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...