UKC

Pieps DSP (previous version) tranceiver dated?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robin Woodward 16 Jan 2016
Thinking of getting a pair of avalanche transceivers for me and my partner. Looking for something 3 antenna and preferably multi-burial, but without being too complex (or too expensive). I found a couple of places selling the original Pieps DSP at half price, and wondered if buying these is a silly idea? Are these now dated/second rate? I don't want to buy something inferior for the sake of a bit of saving, but don't know if it's worth spending more on the DSP Sport for less functionality?

Obviously whatever I get, being accustomed to using it and practicing is the most important thing.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
 skygod78 16 Jan 2016
In reply to Robin Woodward:

I'd go for it, its an excellent transciever. It's a no fuss, top of the range three antenna transciever. There is not really any difference between the DSP and the sport, mainly packaging. The DSP pro apparently has a 60 m range, but other than that they are all very similar.

Hope this helps.
 HeMa 17 Jan 2016

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/

For the raw data...

But to be honest DSP Sport (or DSP Tour) can be had for like 250 Eur. So unless you're getting the original DSP for like 150 Eur or less, perhaps shellin' out a bit more dought...

BTW. skygod is half correct... the components (so the range) is quite close for DSP, DSP Tour and DSP Sport... but the software is different in each (even after you update the latest firmware)... (albeit I'm not 100% sure if the firmware is the same for Tour and Sport).
 AdrianC 17 Jan 2016

I used the DSP extensively for about five years until it became poorly after being dropped on the garage floor then replaced it with the DSP Pro. This may have a better range than the original - I can't compare them - but I have formed the view that the DSP Pro's marking function works better. I assume the DSP Sport will have the same marking performance as the Pro but haven't used one enough to know. With the original DSP it would mark a transceiver you'd found but it sometimes lost that mark when you moved off to another part of the site so could lead you back to one you'd already found. This isn't the end of the world if you know it's a possibility and organise your search strategy with it in mind and I've used it happily in plenty of multiple burial exercises.

For a single burial they work really well, as do most other three antenna digital beacons, the Scan function can be really helpful in a multiple burial scenario, the frequency checking function I never used and suspect it may be redundant in the digital age.

So from the point of view of function, in my opinion, the original DSP still works fine. It might be worth thinking about how much longer they'll keep doing software upgrades, etc. Hope that's some use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...