UKC

Garmin help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 27 Jan 2016
Recently got my new watch. 310xt

I would like to set it up for tempo runs, I have no idea how to do this. any ideas?
 galpinos 27 Jan 2016
In reply to goldmember:

What exactly do you mean?

Surely you run for 2 miles at warm up pace, run for 6 miles or whatever at your tempo pace then do a couple more miles warm down.

What do you need your watch to do?
 tony 27 Jan 2016
In reply to goldmember:

You need to create a workout using Garmin Connect, setting your target times (maximum and minimum)for the tempo run. Transfer the workout to your watch, and then set the watch to do the workout. The watch will beep at you when you need to go faster or slower to run within your target time range. You may be able to set up the workout on the watch without going through Garmin Connect.
You could always try reading the manual.
 kathrync 27 Jan 2016
In reply to goldmember:

As above. I have a 310XT and you can do this on the watch, but it is a bit of a faff - I find it much easier to do this in Garmin Connect and then upload to the watch.

In Garmin Connect, find the Workouts page (connect.garmin.com/modern/workouts). In the top left, there is a Create a Workout button. You need to select whether it is a running, cycling or other workout from the dropdown box next to the button, then click the button. Then on the next page you can set it up how you want. Once you have saved your workout, it will appear in a list on the Workouts page. For each workout, there is an icon that looks like two arrows pointing in opposite directions. Click this to send the workout to your watch. It will transfer via your ANT stick, just like when you send data from the watch to Garmin Connect.
OP goldmember 28 Jan 2016
In reply to tony and kathrync :

Thanks for this folks, I found the manual rather unhelpful for setting up tempo runs and doing it on a watch was a ballache.

I didn't know I could do it via Garmin connect, sorted it now

Is there way I can have the watch tell me off for running to fast or slow?
 kathrync 28 Jan 2016
In reply to goldmember:

Yes, when you set up the workout on Garmin Connect, for each step there is a link "Add More..." If you click on this a box marked "Select an intensity target" appears. Here, you can pick a range in which you want to be working for this step using a heart rate zone, pace or speed. Your watch will then alert you if you are outside of this range.

You will obviously have to have sounds and/or vibrations activated on your watch as well.
 Yanis Nayu 28 Jan 2016
In reply to kathrync:

Do you know how to pick out a section of my run on Garmin Connect and analyse it? It seems impossible! Thanks in advance)
 kathrync 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Do you know how to pick out a section of my run on Garmin Connect and analyse it? It seems impossible! Thanks in advance)

Well, this makes a change from answering helpdesk emails for the website I actually develop for

Sorry, I don't actually know the answer to that one. I have been looking for this myself. There is a "Feature Request" board on the Garmin forum, you could try requesting this there? I did that myself a while back and nothing happened - but I suspect the more people who make the same request the more likely it is to happen if you want to give it a shot too...

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?93-Feature-Requests
 climb41 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Hi, I think you can do this.....open an "activity" where the section of run is, then click on the segments tab, under the graphs, next to the "stats" and "splits". Click on create segment and that should do it. You then show up in a leaderboard if anyone else has run the same segment.
 Yanis Nayu 30 Jan 2016
In reply to climb41:

> Hi, I think you can do this.....open an "activity" where the section of run is, then click on the segments tab, under the graphs, next to the "stats" and "splits". Click on create segment and that should do it. You then show up in a leaderboard if anyone else has run the same segment.

Cheers, but it doesn't work! At least not for me. And it's a PITA to do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...