UKC

Austrian Alpine Club (UK)/additional travel insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Good afternoon,

I've just joined the Austrian Alpine Club (UK). I shall be spending time in the Alps and Pyrenees this year so understand that the insurance that goes with this membership will cover a rescue and the very immediate hospitalization costs but I've been recommend to also take out a multi trip travel insurance policy to cover the wider ranging medical cost that an accident may attract and also standard travel related cover. My question is does the additional insurance policy need to cover "hiking above 2000m" if the AAC insurance will deal with the initial rescue above this height?

Many thanks,
Sam
 HeMa 29 Jan 2016
In reply to La Shamster:

If the accident happens outside the scope of the other insurance... it won't cover enough.

EHIC + OeAV should generally be enough whilst in Europe (if the shite hits the fan in CH, OeAVs insurance covers the repatritation medical flight back to UK).

How ever, you might need a travel insurance for your stuff (if it gets stolen).
 climbwhenready 29 Jan 2016
In reply to La Shamster:

Yes. Otherwise they'll say it was an uninsured event.
In reply to La Shamster:

Thanks to both of you for your replies I shall back up the AAC membership with some BMC insurance.

Sam
 ambrazoni 21 Feb 2016
In reply to La Shamster:

Hi Sam
I broke my back skiing in the Jungrau region some years ago. I had BMC insurance which covered hospital bills (a week in Interlaken orthopedic unit) and a flight back to the UK on BA which was 6 seats for me on a stretcher, my wife and a nurse flown out from the UK to accompany me). Quite a bill. Last year I dislocated my shoulder high up in Val d'Isère and went down on a skidoo, Xrays, ambulance, etc and was with AAC who paid all also. I'd say AAC is fine and cheaper, especially since I am now over 65. Neither insurance covers you losing your wallet, etc.
Have a good trip !!
Ambrazoni

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...