UKC

Rainbow fringing in sun/snow photos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Feb 2016
 Fraser 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I've no real idea tbh, but when you use Lens Correction in LR, what does it affect - does it influence the rainbow fringe you see? Is it more apparent in snow shots?
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Fraser:
Apparently the Lens Correction is applied automatically to the RAW file - I have tried fiddling with lens correction, colour correction and vignetting and none make much visible difference.

I wonder if it something to do with the altitude and the sensor picking up UV or something similar,

Chris
Post edited at 12:25
 Durbs 09 Feb 2016

Odd - not seen that before.

You could cover it with a vignette, or possibly a targeted de-saturate with more luminance...
 Brian 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs: Did you have a lens hood on or off ??

In reply to Brian:

Lens hood on,

Chris

Have you got a fixed lens you could use for your wide-angle shots, rather than that very big zoom? It must be a problem with the optics with a very small aperture when lens zoomed right out.
 Fraser 09 Feb 2016

> Apparently the Lens Correction is applied automatically to the RAW file...

Really? I'm fairly sure I always have to deliberately activate the apply LC commend, even to RAW files. Must check tonight.

I didn't really notice the rainbowing on your image till I looked for it, but once you spot it, it is noticeable. Found this link which might be useful:

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/57911/weird-rainbow-colored-chroma...

A final question: is the rainbow present before you do any adjustments in LR?
 HeMa 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Considering the RX10 is not a system camera, changing the lens might be tad hard...
In reply to HeMa:

Sorry, didn't look up what the camera was. But it does look a bit like a limitation with that camera in those conditions.
In reply to Fraser:

> Really? I'm fairly sure I always have to deliberately activate the apply LC commend, even to RAW files. Must check tonight.

There is a small 'i' at the bottom of the profile tab that says "This raw file contains a built-in lens profile for correcting distortion and chromatic aberration. The profile has already been applied automatically to this image."

> A final question: is the rainbow present before you do any adjustments in LR?

It is there but less pronounced, any kind of tweaking seems to enhance the colours. Thanks for the link btw,

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...