UKC

Snow/snowballing at Stanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 05 Mar 2016
Wondering whether anyone has been Stanage way this weekend and seen if the rock is dry, and if there's suitable amount of snow for highballing?
 Graeme Hammond 05 Mar 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:
Everything on the edge looked soaking when I cycled under the edge earlier, there is a lot of run off from the snow melt. Snow depth I estimated about about 4-6" on the track over to Redmires, the snow is very heavy/wet and melting fast so conditions are not likely to improve (the snow isn't going to blow over the edge and create big scar slopes for snowballing). Burbage North & South very similar (South looking particularly bad) I'll see if I can post a few photos I took at Stanage.
Post edited at 16:35
 Al Evans 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I remember one year when the bergschrund on The Rasp was so big you could step off the top at the crux and solo it easily, Paul Nunn and myself took advantage of it, it's the only time I ever soloed The Rasp
In reply to Al Evans:

Do you remember a winter (probably early 80s) when it was possible to walk to the top of most climbs on Stanage and if you wanted to climb you would have needed to abseil into the bergschund?
 deacondeacon 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

Had similar a couple of years ago on flying buttress direct. Soloed up to the lip and let go into the snow.
Could slide on bellies out of robin hoods cave to the floor too. Loads of fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...