UKC

An Teallach Winter Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denbo 07 Mar 2016
Hi folks. I should be going to the An Teallach area for the week commencing 19/3/16. Since I might have to solo my winter routes will be restricted to grades 1 or 2. Can anyone suggest a guide book for this area, I can't seem to find one. Grid references or photos of the start of such routes as Hayfork Gully or Lady's Gully may be handy if anybody has them. I'll just hope the conditions are friendly enough for me when I get there Thanks Den.
 CurlyStevo 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Denbo:
Have you done much winter walking? If not I'd probably start there rather than with winter climbing.

Also it might be worth hiring a guide if you are alone.

The guide book you want is this:
http://www.smc.org.uk/publications/climbing/northern-highlands-central
Post edited at 15:14
OP Denbo 07 Mar 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Hi CurlyStevo. I've done quite a bit in winter including climbing for a number of years, it's just that my mates can't make this trip so I'll limit my grades. I went to Glas Tholl last year but the visibility worsened to near white out so just climbed out of the head wall, hoping for a better trip this time. I'll check out your link now and would consider a guide. Thanks mate.
 Michael Gordon 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Denbo:

The book he's linked has good photo-topos; you should be able to find most routes you are considering in using it. Hayfork and North Gully next to it are both nice at grade I.
 CurlyStevo 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Denbo:
Yeah sorry about that, I wrongly assumed you were might well be inexperienced as you didn't seem to know SMC makes all the definitive guide books for Scotland and I didn't want to seem to condone soloing winter routes in that case.
Post edited at 17:39
OP Denbo 07 Mar 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

No problem mate. I've got "Winter Climbs in the Cairngorms" and "Scottish Rock Volume 2 North". A lot will be duplicated but I'll get "Northern Highlands Central" ordered up. Your concern for inexperienced climbers in winter does you credit
 DaveHK 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Denbo:

> No problem mate. I've got "Winter Climbs in the Cairngorms" and "Scottish Rock Volume 2 North". A lot will be duplicated but I'll get "Northern Highlands Central" ordered up.

Or, if you won't be a regular visitor to that area just get Scottish Winter Climbs.
 markk 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Denbo:

Lots of snow, quite a few avalanches and a huge cornice around the Glas Tholl headwall yesterday. After this week's thaw, if it goes cold again it could be pretty good in there (aside from the whopping big cornice).
OP Denbo 08 Mar 2016
In reply to markk:

Hi everybody. Thanks for your advice and condition updates. I ended up getting SMCs "Scottish Winter Climbs" in the end. Fingers crossed now for a good trip. Thanks again, Den
 DannyC 08 Mar 2016
In reply to Denbo:

Hi Den,
If you find a partner and fancy something that is slightly harder, I'd recommend Major Rib. Although a big mountaineering route, it's only got two short pitches of Grade III with a lot of I and II in between so if confident soloing or moving together on that ground you'll wizz up it. Glas Tholl is a lovely, lonely place.
Have fun,
D.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...