UKC

Climbing Book Shops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 12 Mar 2016
Can anyone recommend a good book shop who buy and sell 2nd hand climbing books? I've got a few books including Extreme Rock I would like to sell.
 Wsdconst 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

There's a few online like amazon and wordery etc but they'll not give you much for them. You might be better either selling on here or on some of the outdoor groups on Facebook.
 wynaptomos 12 Mar 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Can't remeber the name now but there's a place on High St, Caernarfon. Not well marked at all but it's like a souvenir shop but when you go downstairs it's full of climbing books. First on left after going under the castle wall (siop dan cloc)
jedicolin 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I have brought many Everest related books from http://www.glacierbooks.com and they provide an excellent service. They also buy books too!
 james mann 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Might be interested in extreme rock. Think about what you want for it and mail me.

James
 blurty 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

http://www.mountainbooks.co.uk/

Jarvis books , as was.
In reply to blurty:

Really sell them yourself on auction sites, Amazon or even here however remember that many booksellers price books way beyond there real worth.........
I was chatting to an antiquarian dealer in north Wales today who said all the booksellers he knows are struggling to shift books but I think its because they are asking way too much.
CHEERS
Allan
 Mick Ward 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Scathin Books at Cromford used to be a very good bookshop with a penchant for climbing books. According to Gordon, it's still going strong. However I'm sure the old rule of thumb was that any such bookshop would only give you 1/3rd of what they thought they'd (maybe/eventually) sell it for. I know this sounds like profiteering but some books can stay on the shelves for years (forever?) An awful lot of capital tied up.

My guess is that you'd be better selling stuff here. I suppose you'd need a premier post but one would think they'd be considerate - it's not as though you're floating a public company!

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

Scarthin is not just going strong, but stronger than ever.
 Mick Ward 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

In an age when so much is not going stronger than ever, this is good to know!

Mick
 Babika 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> My guess is that you'd be better selling stuff here. I suppose you'd need a premier post but one would think they'd be considerate - it's not as though you're floating a public company!

I think the premier post rules are the same for anyone - why would you have special consideration selling expensive climbing books?
 Mick Ward 02 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

If it was me (and it's not!) I'd do a rough cost-benefit. The client will do this in any case...

I've always made money for my clients first... then me.

But hey, that's just me.

Mick
 Mick Ward 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Hi,

Have thought of a possibly better and less contentious option. John Appleby said on the Footless Crow usergroup (or whatever it is; I don't understand social media!) on Facebook that he was happy for people to post stuff, including commercial, as long as it wasn't grossly so. So you could contact him and see if he was happy for a mention of your books. Anything related to Footless Crow is going to be populated by readers of climbing literature, i.e. your target audience.

Mick
 deacondeacon 03 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Unless you're selling hundreds of books I'd stay away from selling to professional traders.
A premier post on here will cost £6 and its your perfect target audience.
eBay will cost you more than that and it can be a long drawn out process photographing and describing them all.
Books also have a tendency to go very cheaply on eBay too.

For some reason climbing gear always gets higher prices on eBay rather than anywhere else though.
 Mick Ward 03 Apr 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

> A premier post on here will cost £6 and its your perfect target audience.

Didn't realise it was only this. Agree - well worth doing.

Mick
OP Sl@te Head 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks for all the advice, all of books / guides are cheapish so wouldn't warrant a Premier post (other than Extreme Rock). I just need to get myself organised to list them on here, desperately need the cash as all my money's going on my Yacht!!!
 Ian Parsons 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> all my money's going on my Yacht!!!

What's that expression? "A hole in the water that you pour money into!"
 eltankos 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Alternatively, standing in a cold shower ripping up 20 quid notes.
 hokkyokusei 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I would encopurage you to list them on here. Lots of people do and they sell pretty quickly, if they're for a reasonable price. I've lost count of the number of books I've bought via UKC.
 jon_gill1 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

How much I extreme rock going for?I'm keen to get a copy but usually out of my price range!cheers
OP Sl@te Head 07 Apr 2016
In reply to jon_gill1:

£130 + postage, was going to list this on ebay over the next few days.
August West 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

So you've made three separate posts for your items totalling £140 and on this thread you're asking £130 for Extreme Rock. You should really be paying for a Premier Post:

"There is no charge for posts for FREE items; Wanted items; or for selling an item, or a group of similar items, with a total value of less than £100."

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forsale.html
In reply to August West:

Had a bad day?
August West 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Not too bad thanks.
In reply to August West:
Glad to hear that
Post edited at 19:17
 felt 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

What condition is Extreme Rock, ticks, tears, smudges, stains, etc?
OP Sl@te Head 10 Apr 2016
In reply to felt:

Just sent you an email...
OP Sl@te Head 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

On Ebay ends at 9:00 this evening, listed @ £95 if anyone wants a bargain....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...