UKC

Rockclimbing near Cambridge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pataz 15 Mar 2016
Any suggests where to climb near Cambridge?

Ian Bell 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

The Peak district!? Afraid I don't have any useful advice but will be interested if anyone does, my parents live in Suffolk and as far as I know there is nothing anywhere around East Anglia.
 climber34neil 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

Old railway bridge at fen Ditton or kelsey kerridge sports centre
 Tony the Blade 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

Cherry Hinton if chalk is your thing

LovelyMrTom 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

Yup, it's Kelsey Kerridge for indoor bouldering, Harlow or Milton Keynes for a proper wall. Harlow is accessible by train, MK is the better wall. For actual rock, eastern edges in the Peak District would be the most popular choice. Other options doable in a day would be southern sandstone or Wye Valley.

City club website here: http://www.thecccc.org.uk/
 Robert Durran 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

> Any suggests where to climb near Cambridge?

I seem to remember it being quite near the Alps.
 Paul Baxter 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Indoors:

Bouldering at Kelsey Kerridge, can get a bit crowded and not really a dedicated wall, but it's local.
There's a few small top-rope walls attached to local schools / colleges, but access is difficult
Otherwise head to Big Rock Milton Keynes (~1 hour away), Harlow (~1 hour away), Peterborough (~1hour away) or Stowmarket (~1 hour away - seeing a trend here?)

Outdoors:

There's a few small venues like Sawston bridge for bouldering, but mainly you're looking at a long drive. Get used to driving / being nice to climbers with cars.
Peak District can be done in a day trip 2:15 (South East) minimum trip time each way
Wye Valley can be done just in a day trip, nicer to make a weekend of it.

Shameless plug - look at the Cambridge Climbing and Caving Club website for the 2016 calendar (http://thecccc.org.uk/calendar/ ) for as-organised-as-I-can-make-them trips.

GrahamD 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Paul Baxter:

Obviously there are the delights of Southern Sandstone and Leicester which we used to manage in an evening mid summer sometimes. About an hour and a half drive each way.
 nclarey 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

And if you make it down to Kelsey Kerridge on a Wednesday evening you will usually find several club members there - if you ask at reception they will introduce to one or more of us (some of whom have contributed to this thread already!)
 deepstar 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

Finedon Slabs In the days before his untimely disappearance "Choss" of this parish would have suggested Finedon Slabs, I don't know if he had ever been there but he seemed very keen on the place.
 Wingnut 15 Mar 2016
In reply to deepstar:

Not worth driving from Cambridge for. *Really* not worth driving from Cambridge for.

(I am ashamed to admit to having climbed at Finedon more than once. Mainly because I was living in Wellingborough and didn't have a car back then.)
 Kirill 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

It has been filled in and now a nature reserve. A few years now.
In reply to Pataz:

Stick your post code or the word 'Cambridge' in here - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?#main

Alan
 Ramblin dave 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

If you do that with Cambridge postcodes, it just returns this:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/e/e9/Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg
 Ramblin dave 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I mean, really:
Holm Fen
Boring Field
 DerwentDiluted 15 Mar 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> I mean, really:

Because it's not there......
 Gone 16 Mar 2016
In reply to Paul Baxter:
> Otherwise head to Big Rock Milton Keynes (~1 hour away), Harlow (~1 hour away), Peterborough (~1hour away) or Stowmarket (~1 hour away - seeing a trend here?)

>Outdoors:Get used to driving / being nice to climbers with cars.

Outdoors is indeed tricky. Peak District has my vote. Can also drive to Portland, but takes longer than you would think.

Harlow is convenient to access by train from Cambridge, but personally I go a bit further and visit the Castle in North London - fast trains to Finsbury Park can squeeze it into the 1 hour ish category too.
Pataz 17 Mar 2016
In reply to nclarey:
Which days? Wed?
 Paul Baxter 17 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

Yes - Wednesdays 8:00 - 10:00 followed (usually) by retiring to a local pub (Free Press). If you want more details feel free to contact via the e-mail addresses on the website.
Pataz 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Howard J:

Yap I found the book in the library of Bar Hill
 JEF 18 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

The Grafham Climbing Club meets on Tues and Weds from 7pm - 9.30pm. Find us at the Grafham Water Centre in Perry near Huntingdon.
 Big Steve 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Wingnut:
Finedon slabs are not worth walking to, even if you live next to It!
 HakanT 19 Mar 2016
In reply to Pataz:

I lived in Cambridge for two years. Lovely town, but the climbing is as good as the surfing and the downhill skiing...
 Sime64 01 Apr 2016
In reply to Pataz:

If this has been posted this morning 1st April it would have made more sense!
 HakanT 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Pataz:

Dunno. "This video is unavailable."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...