UKC

Wall(s) near Manchester Piccadilly & London Euston

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone_donkey 04 Apr 2016
Hi,
I'm taking a new job that will involve a lot of travel between London Euston and Manchester Picadilly. Since I don't know walls in either city what are my options at each end for a quick hit after work - doesn't matter whether bouldering/TR/lead though bouldering may be better from a (lack of) partner perspective.
 galpinos 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Stone_donkey:

In Manchester, Rock Over is the easiest to get to from the city centre without transport. It's not the best however..... In my opinion

Bouldering (and the best wall) - The Depot. Hands down a world class facility.
Lead - Stockport (Awesome Walls).
 planetmarshall 04 Apr 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Would say MCC was the more obvious choice. Both AW Stockport or the Depot are significant detours from Piccadilly.
 galpinos 04 Apr 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

MCC is probably closer actually, you're right. It's just neither the best for routes or bouldering.....
around 04 Apr 2016

Closest wall to Euston is probably The Castle - walk over to Kings Cross/St Pancras and it's a few stops on the Piccadilly line north.
 JR 04 Apr 2016
In reply to around:

I reckon you'd get to Vauxwall (bouldering only) quicker than the Castle from Euston.
 ThunderCat 04 Apr 2016

For what it's worth, all the trains that go from Euston to Manchester will stop at Stockport (about 10 minutes before picadilly), and you've got Awesome Walls there.

In reply to ThunderCat:

> For what it's worth, all the trains that go from Euston to Manchester will stop at Stockport (about 10 minutes before picadilly), and you've got Awesome Walls there.

True, in the sense that 'there' is a 45 minute walk away

ThunderCat 04 Apr 2016

> True, in the sense that 'there' is a 45 minute walk away

Yeah, I did the mental 'walk through' after I posted that and realised it's the other side of Stockport. Never really hit the wall from that end of town before. (normally cycle over from Salford Quays)

Still, he could jog over and get a nice warm up...
 Mike Stretford 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Stone_donkey: You could do Rockover, I'd tram from Picadilly to Victoria station then walk, about 20mins.

Easy bus to Manchester Climbing Centre, about 15mins. The bouldering is limited, but there are self belays, which are decent training IMO.

As others have said, The Depot bouldering is world class and well worth it if you have time. You can get a bus near to it, I'd have thought a 45min journey in total.
 Andy Johnson 04 Apr 2016

Stockport bus station is just a few minutes walk down the main road from Stockport train station. Get the 330 bus to Pear Mill (10 to 15 mins, depending on traffic). Two minutes walk to the building with the big chimney. Buy flapjack. Climb.
In reply to andyjohnson0:

Sure, but it's not exactly massively convenient for someone travelling between Euston and Piccadilly.
 Andy Johnson 04 Apr 2016

> Sure, but it's not exactly massively convenient for someone travelling between Euston and Piccadilly.

Agreed. MCC would probably be most convenient from Piccadilly. I just happen to like AW, and it is an option.
KevinD 04 Apr 2016
In reply to JR:

> I reckon you'd get to Vauxwall (bouldering only) quicker than the Castle from Euston.

I would have thought the other way. manor house and then short walk. either way be minutes in it.
if they want partners got the session there as well.
OP Stone_donkey 04 Apr 2016
In reply to KevinD:

What's 'the session'?
OP Stone_donkey 04 Apr 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

Cheers but I really want options at either ends as that's where I'll be working during the day. Anything on the route between (and I could also include big Rock in Milton Keynes if I were so minded) just adds too much to an already long day.

MCC sounds like the most convenient northern option - will check it out and perhaps venture further afield when I've sorted the geography. And the Castle for the south by the sounds of it...
KevinD 05 Apr 2016

> What's 'the session'?

7-9 weekdays and some time at the weekends castle run their session. Means you should always get a belayer even if it is one of the staff.
They have also upped the number of auto belays recently.

https://www.castle-climbing.co.uk/the-session
Removed User 05 Apr 2016
In reply to around:

> Closest wall to Euston is probably The Castle - walk over to Kings Cross/St Pancras and it's a few stops on the Piccadilly line north.

Or go direct from Euston on the Viccy line to Finsbury Park - the walk's a bit further, but the quicker train makes up much of the difference, and to my mind the less time spent on the tube the better.
around 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

Also takes you past the 30p naan shop.
KevinD 05 Apr 2016
In reply to around:

> Also takes you past the 30p naan shop.

which one is that?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...