UKC

Paul Pritchard finally makes it up the Totem Pole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I haven't noticed anything about this in the climbing press, only the local Hobart paper. Paul Pritchard got up the Totem Pole earlier this week, 18 years after his horrible and life-changing accident.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/paul-pritchard-faces-toughest-ch...
In reply to Captain Fastrousers:

My God. Chapeau. Isn't it E5 or something? How the hell did he do that?!

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Not sure; I would imagine it wasn't an entirely free ascent but I really don't know.

Still incredibly impressive under any circumstances. I remember some years back there was a documentary about him walking to Cape Hauy (where the Totem Pole is) and that in itself was a considerable challenge (it's about a 1.5-2 hour walk under normal circumstances).

FactorXXX 08 Apr 2016

Absolutely fantastic!
Bet he's chuffed to bits!!
 Franco Cookson 08 Apr 2016

Deep Play has to be one of the best books ever written. Brilliant.
 John2 08 Apr 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Judging from the photo, I'd say he was jumaring it. Not to decry him in any way - it must be a fantastic feeling to return and get to the top.
 bensilvestre 08 Apr 2016

Cor bet he put some ghosts to rest with that. Agrred, deep play is deffo amongst the top climbing books out there
 Shani 08 Apr 2016

Wow - he's definitely pushing the YOLO philosophy:

"Last year Mr Pritchard became the first wheelchair racer to take on the Point to Pinnacle, the world’s toughest half marathon.

In 2005 he tackled Kilimanjaro, he has also rafted the Franklin and been on expeditions to the Himalayas, Patagonia and the Arctic.

There is no stopping Mr Pritchard, who is planning a 2100km expedition in September from Lake Eyre to Mt Kosciuszko — “from the lowest to the highest point in Australia”."
 Wft 08 Apr 2016

Brilliant

Interview coming soon...
 thommi 08 Apr 2016

This is just so brilliant!!
 AP Melbourne 08 Apr 2016

Massive respect Pritch ... Well done kid. Can't wait for the interview/insight.
 kathrync 08 Apr 2016

Wow, good going - looking forward to the interview!
 stp 08 Apr 2016

Nice one Paul. Fantastic.
 gingerwolf 08 Apr 2016

Good to hear! Fantastic news! His books are great! One of the best climbing books I've read!
 jsmcfarland 08 Apr 2016

Deep Play is the real deal, as is Paul. Brilliant!
 Babika 08 Apr 2016

Thanks for posting this.

Total respect to Paul Pritchard. Gives me the heebie jeebies just looking at the Totem Pole.

A tiny bit disappointing that the caption to the picture suggests PP 'fell from' the Totem Pole the first time round, since as I understand it the problem was more that the TP, or a bit of it, fell on him.

Still, perhaps only climbers would care about the difference, and I'm sure PP doesn't worry how the non-climbing press puts it.

jcm

This popped up on my facebook feed. A friend in Australia was part of the team. Paul jumared up the route.

From Tasmania wildlife services facebook

"Conquering your demons...

Three Capes Track and Cape Hauy day walkers were witness to a remarkable event a few days ago: the return of Paul Pritchard to climb the Totem Pole.

Only 20 to 30 climbers attempt to climb this 60 metre high dolerite pillar each year.

In 1998, Paul was making his first climbing attempt accompanied by his girlfriend, when just a few minutes into the climb, a falling rock cracked his skull. With nobody else on the cape that day, Celia rope-hauled and secured him to a safe ledge (which took 3 hours), then climbed her way out (an extraordinary feat unaccompanied) and ran to Fortescue Bay to get help. By the time help arrived (another 5 hours later), Paul was barely conscious.

Paul lives to tell the tale but has been left with permanent leg and arm injuries.

On Monday, Paul returned to the Totem Pole to finish what he started 18 years ago. After 6 hours, with one working arm and one working leg, he succeeded.

Congratulations Paul!"

Link

https://www.facebook.com/147512044296/photos/a.421476944296.180665.14751204...

Some more photos on his Paul's facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1019332370&sk=photos&collec...

Sorry no idea if the links work
 Carless 08 Apr 2016

Blimey! That's an impressive effort - nice one Paul!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...