UKC

Besseggen Ridge in May?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JJEkland 10 Apr 2016
Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience of hiking the Besseggen Ridge in May? I've spoken to a few people who say the snow is melting and shouldn't be too bad. I've hiked a decent amount and done little freeclimbs/scrambles and am generally pretty fit and athletic, I've never hiked in snowy conditions though.

I am at no disillusion of my abilities and will head back if I feel too uncomfortable at any point. Is the hike too challenging in the snow to attempt? I'll be wearing Grivel g12's where necessary and have my ice axe at the ready! A friend is hiking with me also, who has the same skill level and experience.

If anyone can offer any insight, that would be great!
In reply to JJEkland:

Hello

We are talking Besseggen in the Jotunheim right?

If so the ridge it self is a scramble. It gets a bit of a scary write up in many Norwegian guides as so many people with no experince do it in the summer. In May the chances are it will be snow free as it gets the sun, althought its not unheard of snow falling at anytime in the Jotunheim. The biggest problem will be access as the ice over Gjende can be in a poor state that time of year. Alternatively go along the lake edge to Memurubu Turisthytte (The hut often closed in May).

Snow on the ridge shouldnt be a problem, access over Gjende lake will almsot certainly be the biggest challange.

JJEkland 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:

Thanks for that, much appreciated information! I will keep that in mind when planning the route and likely avoid Gjande Lake and head to the hut. I assume there is a route that starts from near there?
In reply to JJEkland:

Which hut? Gjendesheim hytta, a huge hotel in reality starts at the end of lake Gjende while Memurubu is halfway down the lake. Most people take the boat to Memurubu and walk back over the ridge / walk alongtheu late edge (long day). Alternatively I have heard you can walk from Gjendesheim hytta and strike up direct to the start of the ridge. Not been there myself however.

some info her: http://www.ut.no/tur/besseggen-2.4957/

JJEkland 11 Apr 2016
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:

Thanks for the link, I think we'd be wise to take to boat over to Memurubu as well. Very much appreciate the advice; I've sent you a email via the website, just wondering if it's come through as I'm new to the site and haven't worked out where the Inbox/sent messages box is yet haha!
 hillman 11 Apr 2016
In reply to JJEkland:

This is not the best idea.

In May there is likely snow on large parts of the trip, allthough not on the ridge ('eggen') itself. Walking in this snow is very slow and hard work. No need for iceaxe. In May the boats haven't started the season so you will have to walk both ways.
The trip is better done with skis or snowshoes.

June and july is much better suited for this hike.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...