UKC

Recommend me a coach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
astley007 14 Apr 2016
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a climbing coach they have used in Manchester/NW area?
Cheers
 JDC 14 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Neil Gresham - Kendal. Dunno if that's a bit far for you though?
 robert-hutton 14 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Coach goes from Central Coach Station to Buxton, Bakewell and Matlock, plenty of climbers use it
astley007 14 Apr 2016
In reply to robert-hutton:

are you sure its a coach??..and not a bus????
astley007 14 Apr 2016
In reply to James Coulson:

Hi James
Forgot Mr Gresham was now "up north"..useful

Anyone else has any further recommendations?
Cheers
Nick
 Pewtle 14 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

If you get over to Sheffield I think Tom Randall has set up a company (Lattice Training, can't link it as its blocked at work).

Can't argue with his training ethos!
 mrphilipoldham 14 Apr 2016
In reply to robert-hutton:

Huge fan of the Volvo B13R.
 MischaHY 15 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Absolutely get in touch with Tom Randall. I've had a training plan from Tom for a year now, and he's taken me from just having redpointed 7c/E4 to 7c/E5 onsight and multiple E7/8a. Looking forward to pushing the envelope even more this year after a winter of training.

You can get in touch with Tom by searching 'Lattice' on Facebook. He's off to the USA in a few days though!
 Babika 15 Apr 2016
In reply to MischaHY:

?

Why would anyone Dislike your post?
 Shani 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

> ?

> Why would anyone Dislike your post?

Just thinking the same thing. I hope it is a fatfinger event rather than genuine.
 MischaHY 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

Probably because I talked about grades, and progress. Some people don't seem to like that.
 MischaHY 15 Apr 2016
In reply to Shani:

Also probably because I've headpointed E7 instead of doing what Fiend says and trying to onsight everything.
 maybe_si 15 Apr 2016
In reply to MischaHY:

I wouldn't worry too much, UKC is packed full of bell ends who are just bitter when people show signs of progress/training/anything other than trad on sight!

Good effort by the way
 1poundSOCKS 15 Apr 2016
In reply to MischaHY:

> I've had a training plan from Tom for a year now, and he's taken me from just having redpointed 7c/E4 to 7c/E5 onsight and multiple E7/8a.

Can I have a copy of your training plan?
 MischaHY 15 Apr 2016
In reply to maybe_si:

Cheers mate
 MischaHY 15 Apr 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Sure! Just send £35 a month to Lattice and it'll even be customised for your own ability
 1poundSOCKS 15 Apr 2016
In reply to MischaHY:

> £35 a month

Is it really that much? Do you think the difference was the plan itself, or the fact that you had a plan meant you stuck to structured training? Maybe hard to say.
 Shani 15 Apr 2016
In reply to MischaHY:

> Also probably because I've headpointed E7 instead of doing what Fiend says and trying to onsight everything.

Ignore what Fiend says and as long as you are enjoying yourself (and have due respect for the rock), then carry on!
 MischaHY 15 Apr 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

It's cheap for what you get. A really well structured plan that can be altered at any time around circumstances, trips, etc - and really detailed guidance for all exercises with personalised difficulty and easy ways to measure progression. All this with Tom on board and ready to respond to any queries/give advice rapidly, and obviously operating from a whole bunch of experience with high level athletes. I couldn't recommend him enough. I can guarantee that I wouldn't have climbed what I have without his help.
 1poundSOCKS 15 Apr 2016
In reply to MischaHY:

> It's cheap for what you get.

Thanks, you've obviously had good value.

Might consider if I struggle to progress, but usually I'm happy ticking over and making some progress, and I've always found a way to do that so far. But I'm 45 next month, so maybe the plateau will arrive before I expect...
Andy Gamisou 15 Apr 2016
In reply to maybe_si:

> I wouldn't worry too much, UKC is packed full of bell ends who are just bitter when people show signs of progress/training/anything other than trad on sight!

Yes. Had bit of experience of this myself.

kevin stephens 15 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:
Hi Nick

The idea of using a coach was anathema to me having decades of climbing under my belt. However last year I lost a lot of time and fitness due to work overload and I needed a more systematic approach to making the most of my limited training time. A session with Katherine Schirrmacher (lovetoclimb.co.uk) to put together a training plan based around my weaknesses (strength and conditioning rather than technique ) was very helpful and gave me a flying start with a sports trip to Sicily over Easter. Now I've got more time I'm continuing with the training and hoping for further gains when the Peak dries out.

Good luck with the recovery; I think Katherine could help you make the most of training around this to get fit again. I hope to see you on the crag soon, if not the pub.

Cheers

Kevin
In reply to kevin stephens:

Since when were you weak Kevin - I seem to remember Broughton 6b?
 kevin stephens 16 Apr 2016
In reply to harold walmsley:
Since Broughton closed!
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

How much do you think an hour with a 'personal trainer' would cost?

£35 a month, for the service described sounds like a bargain.
 mattrm 16 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

John Kettle, not quite Manchester tho. Worth the drive up to Kendal. Highly recommended, I had a few sessions with him a year ago and they were really good.

http://johnkettle.com/
 1poundSOCKS 16 Apr 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

What does it matter, I don't want to pay £35 a month for a coach? Not everyone is that interested in coaching, which means it isn't necessarily good value for them.
 Valkyrie1968 16 Apr 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Then don't.
 1poundSOCKS 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

Don't what?
 Valkyrie1968 16 Apr 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Don't you want me baby?
 Si Witcher 16 Apr 2016

£25 per hour is the going rate for an experienced strength and conditioning coach / gym trainer in the north, so £35 per month could be good value, depending on how much time the coach is spending on you specifically during the month (either face-to-face or remotely), and what experience and sports science background they have.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

What a strange reply.

If you don't want a coach, then of course it's not worth it; you'd be stupid to pay for something you didn't want.

But if you do want a coach, then £35 a month seems pretty reasonable.
 1poundSOCKS 16 Apr 2016
> What a strange reply.

You told me £35 was a bargain, I said that wasn't necessarily the case. Why's that strange?

> But if you do want a coach, then £35 a month seems pretty reasonable.

Not black and white. Depends how much you want a coach and what they offer, doesn't it?
Post edited at 22:36
 neilh 17 Apr 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:
Kevin - Good to hear a recommendation like that!Neil
 Dan Mckinlay 17 Apr 2016
In reply to astley007:

Have you tried Any Swann at http://www.grittrackandtrail.co.uk/ He's got decades of experience bouldered really hard in his day (some of the UK's first English 7b problems), is a fantastic world class coach and all round good guy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...