UKC

Numb fingers & toes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tonybhoy 19 Apr 2016

I've been commuting to and from work for the last few weeks and thoroughly enjoying it. However I'm finding that after 20/25 mins my fingers and toes become numb. It's not the cold.
I'm putting it down to riding position and am considering paying for a bike set up. Has anyone else had similar experience? Thanks.
Post edited at 16:55
 Phil79 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Stupid question, but are you wearing gloves?
 balmybaldwin 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I can see how a poor position over the bars could give you pins and needles, but I can't see the same for your feet - unless cold.

Do you suffer from Reynaulds Syndrome?
In reply to Tonybhoy:

More than likely is your position on the bike. Do some googling and go to the best fitter in your area. I'd pay a bit more for a really good well recommended fitter.

Of course prior to that you could always adjust things like cleats, saddle position and height yourself to see if it makes any difference. Even try simple things like angling the bars up or down by 5mm or so. None of this will beat a proper bike fit but it won't harm to try.
 olddirtydoggy 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Carpal tunnel problem for hands. You might need a wrist brace to catch it in time, otherwise its the knife!.
 RockAngel 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:
I get that, then when I've gotten to work and walking in I have pins and needles in my feet. It's different to the raynauds pain though.
Fidman 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I find that I often get cold feet during a decent cycle and I think it is due to dehydration. We all sweat a lot more than we think when we are cycling, when you see the pros they drink an amazing amount. Worth a try.
 LastBoyScout 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Assuming you're riding a road bike?

Are your shoes done up too tight? Your feet will swell as you ride.

Are you wearing cycling shoes and clipless pedals, or trainers and flats/clips and straps?If the latter, then probably not supporting your foot enough and something more rigid might help.
OP Tonybhoy 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Phil79:
Yes Phil, I'm wearing gloves. As I said it's not the cold causing numbness.

I don't suffer from Raynaulds. I'm tending towards bike set up. There are a few people in work who have had it done so will see who they recommend. Thanks for all the ideas and replies.
Post edited at 15:20
 nniff 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

The numbness in your hands will be a nerve - I think it's the ulnar nerve but I am to anatomy as a whale is to boxing. From a cycling perspective it runs across the bony bit on the inside of the heel of your palm. Hence, if you're resting on that a lot, and your bar tape and gloves are thin, then it is likely that you will get numbness. Moving your hands, changing gloves, tape and bar angles can all help (as can awareness).

As far as toes go - that's a combination of the shape of your shoes, the stiffness of the sole and the position of the cleats. No idea which nerve that would be. The following only applies if your have clipless pedals really:

The axle of your pedal should be on the centreline between the widest point of your foot on the outside and the ball of your foot on the inside - adjust the cleat until this is so. The cleat should also be adjusted so that your foot sits in the mid-point of the cleat's play when it is in its natural relaxed position. If when you're pedalling the tension comes up tight to one side before the other, then generally the cleat needs to be shifted to even it up. If your shoes are insufficiently supportive or too tight, that may also do it.

Finally, change your foot position a bit every now and then - a neutral position in the play of your cleats will help in this regard, as will varying you pedal stroke a bit - sit forward more for calves and hamstrings, up/back a bit for quads.
That and focus on a pedalling technique that uses all of the above - think of he motion of a bull pawing the ground, or scraping something nasty off the sole of your shoe. To get the best out of your stroke, pedal strongly using one foot only for five strokes (the other just coasting), then five with the other foot, then 4, 3 and 2. When you've got it nailed with 2 on each side, go for one each side as per normal - your should end up with a powerful almost circular motion that also changes the pressure on the sole of your foot, and happens to make you go faster too
In reply to nniff:

> The numbness in your hands will be a nerve

My thoughts turned to nerves, too, but spinal ones, caused by compression due to posture. It might be unlikely to have both fingers and toes go numb, though, as toes would be lumbar (L5, S1), and thumb, fingers would be cervical (C6, C7, C8) ;opposite ends of the spine...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...