UKC

San Fransisco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wert 25 Apr 2016
Are there any indoor walls worth visiting in San Fransisco?
Would need to be pretty central or easy to get to on public transport.
 maybe_si 25 Apr 2016
In reply to wert:

I know there is one near the Golden Gate Bridge, didn't go in but peered through th window... looked ok?!
 George Fisher 25 Apr 2016
In reply to wert:

'Mission Cliffs' in the Mission district and 'Planet Granit' on Crissy Fields by the GGBridge. Both are pretty good. PG is more bouldering I think. It's been a while since I was there.
In reply to wert:

Mission Cliffs is easy to get to on BART it's a nice wall and very friendly but nothing really special in terms of climbing terrain. More roped climbing than bouldering and more real-life San Francisco than tourist-trap.

Planet Granite is in an awesome location and when I was there had some unusual and fun bouldering features like a top-out boulder and a long ramp between floors with routes set across the roof. There are huge windows looking out to the Golden Gate Bridge.

I went out to Planet Granite in a taxi had a couple of hours climbing and walked back into town along the waterfront past Fisherman's Wharf and cutting up[ through China Town. It's a long walk but a great way to see some of the best bits of San Francisco.

I'm not sure if you can get signed off to lead as a visitor, from memory most of the walls were top roped anyway.
 AlexM 25 Apr 2016
In reply to wert:

There is a bouldering only gym in Dogpatch: https://touchstoneclimbing.com/dogpatch-boulders/

Mission Cliffs is a really friendly gym. If you take your harness on of the staff will try and hook you up with a partner. Harnesses also available for hire.

OP wert 26 Apr 2016
In reply to wert:

Thanks for those suggestions, really useful. 😀

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...