UKC

Northumberland Extremes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So which ones have given you a proper spanking, which ones did you cruise, there are a few soft touches, the only E4 i have done, is more like a well protected E3 so i can't really take the tick , how about some summer inspiration.
Post edited at 16:59
 Pedro50 13 May 2016
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

A lot of Bowden routes get easier as you gain height so make good solos - The Viper, Stretcher Wall, The Trial, The Manta etc. Never managed the last move of the Sting though.
In reply to Pedro50:

I have heard tales about that last move on the sting, gets a bit sandy too by all accounts, maybe it's not as bad as you think, i haven't even had a look, have done most of the classic solo's in the past, but not so brave now and really looking for routes with some gear.
 SteveSBlake 13 May 2016

Regarding the Sting, you just need to be patient at the top and feel around, there's lots of similar holds, all a little, (but not too) sandy. pick the ones that suit and voila!

As to 'well protected' extremes.... Off the top of my head, it's the obvious cracks - and some others

Roof Route at Back Bowden, though it's harder than E1...

Back to the Egg at Kyloe Out

The Overhanging Crack

If you take the trouble to clean it, (gently) High T at Kyloe In has good gear.

I suspect you were referring to Outward Bound as being soft? - it probably is and the gear is good.

Lost Cause is well protected with a good drop zone on the crux.

Duke of York....

The Tube has surprisingly good gear, even at the junction with the break, before you move right.

Ranadon at Corby's has good gear just below the overhang, as has Tiger Feet.

Woodburn and Ridsdale walls...

Rakes Crack at the Wanny's has gear all the way.

Ancient Briton at Jack Rock has a well protected crux.

Godzilla at South Yardhope is bombproof (did you see what I did there?)

Over the Edge, once the flake is reached has really good gear.

Sandy Crack, or any crack at Ravensheugh.....

Ned Kelly and Twin Hats at Callerhues are both OK gear wise.

There's loads..

Steve

In reply to SteveSBlake:
Great list there Steve! have done a load of those, some food for thought.

The Tube really is a high priority, would love to do this, if i get a few routes under my belt maybe this is the year.

PS. good reminder Over the Edge, another that looks really good.
Post edited at 18:55
 SteveSBlake 13 May 2016

There is a good cam that can be placed in the middle of the crux on OtE, but the stretch can make the crux harder!
But once it's in......

Steve

Andy Hardy 13 May 2016

2 spankings from memory which stand out.
Overhanging Crack, gets meaner and steeper as you go higher.
Gibbons Gambol, bomber gear, if you can hang around long enough to place it then you need to be fit enough to continue. I wasn't.

Pretty sure Tiger Feet & Ranadon were HVS when I did them, so hopefully soft touches.
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Yeah it seems Overhanging crack doesn't see a lot of success, got well and truly spanked quite a few years ago, even though i know the beta now, i haven't been back for a rematch just not macho enough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...