UKC

MIA crib gogh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Maysie01 23 May 2016
Hi, apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong forum but I couldn't decide which forum was the best fit.

I have walked/climbed up Snowdon many times using the easy Llanberis, Miners and Pyg routes. I'm fit and exercise regularly and I like to do something annually to support a particular charity. Last year I did an easy 16 mile walk.

I'd really like to really challenge myself by ascending Snowdon via Crib Goch. I'd need a guide for safety and encouragement. The challenge to me is, I am scared of heights! I'm okay if I know I'm safe, I will go on any big dipper etc as I'm well strapped in but even being on the summit of Snowdon raises my anxiety but when I'm determined to set myself a challenge I have massive determination and have never failed to complete anything yet.

Will I be able to find a qualified guide to lead me up Snowdon via Crib Goch given that a) I'm scared of heights and b) I have limited scrambling experience. As a young teen I accidently ascended Snowdon via a scree, my mother must have lost or accidentally come off the planned track and to be honest we only made it up because a father and teenage son came up behind us with climbing gear and ropes. The father guided my every step and hand and the son helped my mother. Because we'd intended on walking on an easy track, I was in a skirt and flip flops! That was my first ascent of Snowdon and I blame my mother's lack of knowledge for that! I have taken my children up on a few occasions and my teenage boys ran up and down last time (Llanberis).

So, will I be able to find an experienced and qualified guide to lead me up Snowdon via Crib Goch given my lack of scrambling experience and fear of heights? To be honest every time I've climbed Snowdon I have so badly wanted to do that challenge and because of my two obstacles I think I have the potential to raise a fair amount of money for the charity I support.

I'd appreciate any advice and answers. Thank you.
 jezb1 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

I'm sure you can, me for example!
www.jbmountainskills.co.uk

Or for a list of mountaineering instructors...

www.ami.org.uk
 tjdodd 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

I am also scared of heights but that has not stopped me doing a fair amount of mountaineering. You just need to know your limits and to push them slowly. It took me a long time to get up enough courage to do Crib Goch but it was one of the best experiences I have ever had and was buzzing for days afterwards.

Going with a guide is a good idea and I would also recommend doing some simpler scrambles first to build up confidence. This could again be with a guide or on a course. Why not look at http://www.pyb.co.uk/.

Good luck.
 jezzah 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

It looks like you have the answer above! Get a guide/ instructor for the day/ weekend and they will make sure you are safe and teach you how to move across complex terrain. Bottom line is they will look after you... that 's worth quite a bit in my opinion.

Also, get someone who is a full member of AMI or a BMG and you will have someone who has significant experience and a member of a professional body.

book someone up and start raising some money!

cheers
Jez
 climbwhenready 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

It's a great plan. What Jez said - either go with him or another instructor through the AMI.

MIA is an instruction qualification, so as well as keeping you safe on Crib Goch and allowing you to complete your objective, if you want they should be able to give you movement tuition and advice to allow you to do similar challenges in the future without a guide.
 elliott92 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

Good for you for wanting to push yourself! It's a great scramble and I'm sure you'll love every minute of it. Especially if you manage to catch it in the right weather.

I highly reccomend jez.. had a few days out learning skills last autumn and he's a top MIA that knows NW like the back of his hand. Wouldn't go wrong with him.

Good luck hitting your goals
Maysie01 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

Thanks so much everyone. I'd been absolutely sure that all replies would say "don't even attempt it if you're scared of heights"! But I feel greatly encouraged and more determined than ever to do it. I would only do it accompanied by a professional because of my fear of heights, but I have the determination already. I can't really practice scrambling without travelling quite a distance, we only have slight gradients down here in the New Forest! I'm okay with heights such as in Go-ape due to feeling safe with the ropes and I can climb the scramble nets as part of that but I realise that's baby fry compared to Crib Goch. Now that I think it'll happen, I'm excited! I just need to recruit a buddy to make paying for the professional affordable but wouldn't want to go higher than 1:2 because of my fear of heights.

Thanks, your answers have been helpful and encouraging. I've liked Jez' Facebook page for future use.

David Alcock 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

I was about fourteen when I first did it (by myself). It's fine really. Perhaps choose a foggy day if you're scared of heights. Good luck with whatever or whoever you sort out, and have fun.
 sid68 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

Another recommendation for jez brown; MIA and all round top bloke. You'll definitely have a great day out with him.
 pjcollinson 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

You'll have a fab day with JezB, he's a great instructor and thoroughly nice guy who will help you overcome your fears and give you the confidence and skills to tackle other adventures in the future.
 jezb1 23 May 2016
In reply to Maysie01:

Thanks for the kind words folks!
Can't afford to pay you all at once...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...