UKC

Swarb - 17 years later than advertised

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 03 Jun 2016
I suppose it had to happen in the end. Dave Swarbrick, electric violin pioneer and fairport convention stalwart has finally died - 17 years after the Telegraph printed his obituary and 11 years after he traded in his first set of lungs for some newer ones
 Doug 03 Jun 2016
In reply to toad:
Sad to hear that, his music, both with Fairport and others, has been part of my life for almost as long as I can remember

edit to add https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jun/03/dave-swarbrick-dies-at-75-fid...
Post edited at 17:03
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Jun 2016
In reply to toad:

Very sad. Saw him with Martin Carthy - could it have been last year? - when he really wasn't either very well or very good, but it was good to see them still gigging together, with so much mutual respect and affection.

One of the best gigs I ever saw was him and Beryl Marriott - his mentor, apparently, and a brilliant pianist - in a pub in Coventry in the early 80s. . Just technically brilliant, joyful, enthusiastic musicality.
Removed User 03 Jun 2016
 Rob Naylor 03 Jun 2016
In reply to toad:

Very sad but not unexpected. He'd been in hospital a fair while. Last time I saw him live, about 4 years ago, I had the honour of doing a floor spot just before he came on as the main act, and sang "Banks Of The Sweet Primroses" with mandolin accompaniment. He sang along with me from the side of the stage and afterwards congratulated me on a great version of one of his favourite songs!
 Tom Last 03 Jun 2016
In reply to toad:

On no! Soundtrack to my childhood
OP toad 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

crikey. I'm a bit awestruck
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I saw him in the Winning Post in York once. An abiding memory is while the support band were on, Martin Carthy was all serious and pre-occupied; Swarb was clapping and tapping along and grinning like the it was the best gig he'd ever been to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...