UKC

North Wales bouldering by Simon Panton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lozo 13 Jun 2016
Hi All - just wanted to see if anyone had a copy of the North Wales bouldering by Simon Panton that they wanted to sell? Thanks in advance
 ianstevens 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Lozo:
You might struggle to find it as its out of print and some large sums are being requested for copies (see below).

You can find info here: http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/topos.asp although these a generally more obscure.

Or if you're thinking of a specific area the definitive CC guides also include bouldering.
Post edited at 07:48
 jethro kiernan 14 Jun 2016
In reply to davegs:
Ill sell my copy for £250 free p&p 😀
In reply to Lozo:

The word in V12 is that the new, hugely expanded guide will be out "this year", and won't be bilingual this time.
While I was having a coffee, a few punters offered me good cash for my old guide. It's not just that its out of print, it really is a unique piece of production. Definitely a collectors item.
Removed User 14 Jun 2016
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

That's been the word for the past 3 years.

@ OP find someone that has a copy and scan it
pasbury 14 Jun 2016
In reply to davegs:

Ooh err - I've got a copy - to sell or not to sell...

Not sure anyone actually pays that much for it though.
 starbug 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Lozo:

I have a brand new copy in perfect condition never been used

Not even sure why its in my guide book collection I don't own a mat or beanie

What would you consider a reasonable price / offer?
 MrJared 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Lozo:

A guy asked to buy my copy, but later told me he managed to get a copy for £25. They are out there cheaper than £250!
 ianstevens 14 Jun 2016

> The word in V12 is that the new, hugely expanded guide will be out "this year", and won't be bilingual this time.

That's a shame - I enjoyed the bilingual nature of it. It did make it twice as long as necessary though.
 kipman725 14 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

no one else did, They even mix the English and Welsh so you cant just remove the welsh pages!
 Oogachooga 14 Jun 2016
In reply to starbug:

Tell you what would help, one good man could scan the book and post online if it's getting that rare.

I'd personally be interested in a few pages from the Ogwen Valley part

Just seems like bull crap a bunch of climbers knocking around a few hundred quid over what essentially is some beta on bouldering.
 ianstevens 14 Jun 2016
In reply to kipman725:

> no one else did, They even mix the English and Welsh so you cant just remove the welsh pages!

Good for a bit of Welsh practice though.
 starbug 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Oogachooga:

I also have the Rockfax Northwales Limestone and North Wales bouldering.

That has North Wales Bouldering by Simon Evans and Jon Barton (about 40 pages worth)
in it. Again it has no place in my trad climbing guide book collection

Not sure on the legalities of copying and posting either bouldering guide up on the web though?
 Oogachooga 14 Jun 2016
In reply to starbug:

Not sure either. Do it for 'historical purposes' or in an email to whoever is interested

Put me down on the list if you have any free time to do it. I can put it online for anyone on a dedicated site, offer is there anyway.
 Jus 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Lozo:

I'd sell mine for £200! A bargain compared to the one on Amazon!

> The word in V12 is that the new, hugely expanded guide will be out "this year", and won't be bilingual this time

That'll make things interesting, watching groups of visiting boulderers debating the meaning of route descriptions written only in Welsh
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> That'll make things interesting, watching groups of visiting boulderers debating the meaning of route descriptions written only in Welsh

rhagorol!
Lozo 16 Jun 2016

Hi Guys - sorry been away and missed the posts. Greatly appreciate everyone's input and offers; a kind chap has sold me a copy and it's on it's way to me now.
Removed User 16 Jun 2016
In reply to starbug:
> Not sure on the legalities of copying and posting either bouldering guide up on the web though?

It's an interesting one. Legally it's copyright infringement.

Forgetting about the legal side I think from an ethical perspective if it's out of print and you can only rarely buy second hand copies it's hard to see how you're depriving the author of any income if he's not going to get any income from the transaction even if you do find one second hand. I guess the main argument would be that if I upload a scanned version people might not be inclined to purchase the new guide cause hey, free version that has most of the problems.

When I was after one a couple of years ago I posted in a few places and emailed Simon as well. I asked if I could just buy a copy from him direct or paypal him the cash in exchange for a pdf of the few areas i was interested in climbing since I figure he must have pdfs from the original printing. I don't think he got back to me other than to say he had no copies available and a new one was in the works. I ended up finding someone who would loan me a copy and scanned it and just using the scanned version on my mobile when I needed it.
Post edited at 22:33
 starbug 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Anyone want a copy of North Wales bouldering by Simon Panton in brand new, unread condition me know. £35 posted.

I also have the Rockfax Northwales Limestone and North Wales bouldering in good condition. That has North Wales Bouldering by Simon Evans and Jon Barton (about 40 pages worth) in it. £30 posted

Niether of these has any place in my trad climbing guide book collection
In reply to starbug:

I found pristine copy in Llandudno charity shop this morning signed by Simon to Adrian who helped him with the guide. 50p !!!
 John Kettle 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Lozo:
Regarding copying and freely distributing this guide, please note the effort that went into it:
It was a one-man labour of love, done in his free time whilst raising a family and holding down a job. It took years, and the effort involved caused the author to suffer a mental breakdown.
Please bear this in mind before you give it all away online, and potentially strip the value of his huge passion, efforts, and the sales of the upcoming second edition.
 UKB Shark 22 Jun 2016
In reply to John Kettle

> and the effort involved caused the author to suffer a mental breakdown.

I don't think the whole world needs to know that

doylo 22 Jun 2016
In reply to shark:

I don't think he had a mental breakdown. More like developed some form of chronic fatigue.
 John Kettle 22 Jun 2016
In reply to shark:

I apologise for that, didn't wish to cause upset (it was already public), just illustrate the level of effort that went into the guide. If I could figure out how to edit my previous post I would.
 mikeski 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Lozo:

Anyone still looking for this? I have a copy I don't want. The cover has a couple of scuffs but apart from that it's in great nick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...