UKC

Ben Macdui

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 La benya 26 Jul 2016
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience of the walk from the Cairngorm ski lift to the Cairgorm peak and onto Ben Macdui?
I've read differing descriptions for it, ranging from 'good route reading and map skills required' to 'follow the well worn path'.

We will be going end of august so, weather permitting, is it perfectly reasonable to get around the 17km in a day with little map faff (i can do navigation, id just rather not)?

cheers
 Welsh Kate 26 Jul 2016
In reply to mark_wellin:

Yes, for a hill fit person, a straightforward day walk from the ski lift, or from the base station via the Coire Cas ridge; you might not want to do an out and back, but instead return via the west ridge of Coire an Lochan though. Straightforward in good conditions. In poor visibility you will need that good nav.
 tony 26 Jul 2016
In reply to mark_wellin:

Good route reading and map skills are needed when the weather's bad and visibility is poor. But if the weather's decent and visibility is good, you're not in too much danger of going wrong. The walk along the edge of the corries from Cairngorm to Cairn Lochan is terrific - big views to the north and east. However, do be aware that the Cairngorm plateau is big and bare, and if the weather does come in, it's very easy to go wrong if you don't pay attention - I've been in the company of an experienced mountain guide who managed to walk us in almost a complete circle.

In terms of time, the whole thing is easily doable in a day.
OP La benya 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks for this, i think the route is indeed back via the west ridge. i wont be attempting it if the weather looks iffy so i shouldn't need my compass (!).
OP La benya 26 Jul 2016
In reply to tony:

thank you!
 Andy Nisbet 26 Jul 2016
In reply to mark_wellin:

It's basically all on paths, but there are lots of them and not all the one you want. You'd better take a compass or you'll end up in Braemar.
 drunken monkey 27 Jul 2016
In reply to mark_wellin:

Please take a map and compass - even if the weather is great and its in yer bag all day
OP La benya 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

yup i will have a map and compass, don't you guys worry.
mysterion 27 Jul 2016
In reply to mark_wellin:
Take a good look at the path junctions as you pass them on the way out. Count them too. Might help on the way back.
Post edited at 13:50
 ogreville 27 Jul 2016
In reply to mark_wellin:

not sure if it's still the case, but I think I remember reading that walkers are not permitted to use the railway. They need to set out on foot from the upper car park. Anyone trying to leave the area of the viewing platform will be stopped by the security/staff unless they are part of a guided walk.

I may be completely wrong, but worth checking out in advance to save the wasted ticket.
OP La benya 27 Jul 2016
In reply to ogreville:

I was planning on walking that part anyway. Doesn't really add much, right?
 Andy Nisbet 27 Jul 2016
In reply to mark_wellin:

Correct. You can't use the railway but it saves very little anyway.
 Joak 27 Jul 2016
In reply to mark_wellin:

> i wont be attempting it if the weather looks iffy so i shouldn't need my compass (!).

I went for a walk out to Beinn Mheadhoin from Coire cas via Loch Avon today. Good hill paths and familiar terrain with patchy low cloud. I was grateful I had my map (and compass) for reference on a couple of occasions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...