UKC

Sicily climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Katka 09 Aug 2016
Hi, I am planning a long climbing trip this winter - more like moving somewhere relatively warm for the whole winter, where I can work (freelance) and climb when I am not working. Sicily looks amazing but I am wondering - it is only an island - is it worth spending a whole winter there (3-4 months?)
 Pete Dangerous 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Katka:

What do you mean, 'is it only an island'? What else would you like there to be?
 RyanOsborne 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Katka:

Couldn't you mix it up with Malta or Sardinia if you get bored? Sicily is pretty big though, and I'm sure it'd entertain you enough for a season.
 jimtitt 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Katka:

Britain is only an island as well
Sicily is a big island, it takes about 4-5hrs to drive across it on the motorway. it´ s also not very far away from the mainland, like about a kilometre (not that there´ s anything particularly worthwhile there).
Katka 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Katka:

"ït is only an island" - I guess it does sound a little stupid (English is not my native language) :-D I meant for instance compared to Southern Spain, Sicily is a rather small area, so I was wondering if the potential - climbing, as well as other points of interest - is big enough for a whole season. We will be travelling by car and will have our dog with us, so mixing it up with other destinations might be too much of a logistics hassle, not sure...

I am also wondering if I would get by with no Italian. Do the locals generally speak English?
 g1m147 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Katka:

Sicilly is a big island, I think it's the largest island in the Med. There's much, much more to it than San Vito.
You may struggle outside of the tourist spots with language .
I'm not being funny here, but just go. What's the worst that can happen? Seriously?
Enjoy.
 emmaharrington Global Crag Moderator 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Katka:

There is so much climbing in San Vito! You won't get bored. I am going in December. I have been many time before. Recommended!
 coldfell 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Katka:

San Vito is great for climbing, but when we went in February it was like a ghost town with tumbleweed and rubbish blowing down the main street! Many places closed including the (very good when open the odd night) climbers café/bar, so not sure if a viable centre to find work. Just my limited opinion
Dorine
In reply to Katka:
I second coldfells answer. San Vito was very quiet at Easter last year. Great climbing though. Weather can be a little more cold and rainy during Jan and Feb.

Also check out the hot springs in Castlemare de Golfo. Really nice!
Post edited at 19:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...