UKC

Mechanics!!- Ford Focus, cam belt and water pump???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 t_hume 05 Sep 2016
My 56 plate Focus LX has just ticked over 100k miles so I'm taking it in for a cam belt change. The garage has told me that I should also change the water pump.

Does that sound about right or are they just creating a bit of extra work? I hadn't anticipated it or the extra cost.

Thanks
 markAut 05 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

I know it's a different car, but I do the same on my Vauxhall. Reason is that the water pump is on the same belt, and it can fail at about the same time, snapping the cam belt you have just replaced.
 Rick Graham 05 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

Sounds right to me. Its a PITA if you pay for a cambelt and then the water pump goes.

I often find genuine dealers cheaper for these jobs as they appear to have fixed prices (set by the manufacturer?) , worth asking.
Also, possibly a better guarantee.

I like to think the prices are subsidised as recompense for whoever thought it a good idea for modern engines to rely on rubber bands.
cb294 05 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

Sounds plausible, had this for several cars over the years. If the cam belt also drives the pump, a new belt will not run exactly like the old one, and rapidly destroy the bearings of the pump.

CB
 Alpenglow 05 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

Yes it is standard procedure to change the cambelt with the water pump.
 gethin_allen 05 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

It does make sense as people say above. But, on the other hand if it's the 1.6 petrol engine they're pretty solid, my one was going fine at 139 k miles when I sold it and my sister's had done 205 k miles when she sold hers.

Although the pumps are only about £20 and it's a 5 min job to change when you already have all the belts off.
In reply to t_hume:
We had a water leak on our VW T4 campervan which was diagnosed as a collapsed water pump bearing. The garage said we were only a few miles away from losing the cam belt which would have been an engine rebuild of expensive proportions.
OP t_hume 05 Sep 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Thanks folks. I had suspected that this was the case but wanted to be sure.

Gethin,
It is the 1.6 but I think I'd be living in fear every time I drove as I really could not afford to fix it if it did go.

Thanks again folks.
Tom
jollygreengiant1 06 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

If it the 1.6 petrol then the timing belt does not drive the water pump. However, the pump body does run behind the belt and the belt tensioner does attach to the pump body.
 Sharp 06 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

Timing belt, water pump and belt tensioner. Recently had the timing belt tensioner try and burrow it's way out of the plastic housing to freedom and nearly wrote off the engine. It's worth them doing any other work that's easy access at the time and is going to need doing in the next 6 motnhs imo (unless youre not going to keep the car or your ehappy to do the work yourself)
 TMM 06 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

In your position I'd get the water pump done.

Water pump and cambelts are cheap(ish) parts. Your main cost labour. You might as well get them to replace the 10 year old water pump whilst they're faffing with the cambelt change.
This is a recommended combined job for many cars and is not exclusive to Ford and the Focus model.
 NottsRich 06 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

Yes, it's a good recommendation from the garage. Wise to get it done.
 PeterM 06 Sep 2016

I thought water pumps were usually changed when the cambelt was first changed, particularly VAG water pumps, as they were rubbish and the change was to a better, more durable, water pump. In other words a one off. Are all manufacturers using shit water pumps, or are water pumps that crap they should be changed every time the cam belt is swapped (for access)?
 Alan M 07 Sep 2016
In reply to t_hume:

I changed the cam belt a few months ago on my car (Insignia) the garage also changed the water pump.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...